Bonsignore: Rams added veteran leadership, but also a new coach who empowers those leaders

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Rams added veteran leadership, but also a new coach who empowers those leaders

0605_spo_ldn-l-rams-ota14_23961679-1.jpg

Rams coach Sean McVay talks with players during warmups for Organized Team Activities on Monday, June 5, 2017, at the teamÕs practice facility at California Lutheran University. (Photo by Michael Owen Baker)

By VINCENT BONSIGNORE

It was interesting to me as I talked to people while reporting my story on new Rams left tackle Andrew Whitworth how appreciative players were for the infusion of veteran players the Rams added this offseason.

While a coach can talk about a culture and try to establish a culture, that culture is only as good or strong as the players that execute it. And often times, successful execution relies on veteran players who serve as examples and role models to the rest of the team.

But it also requires a coach strong enough and savvy enough to empower those leadership-type players to execute their clout in the locker room.

The sense I get is new Rams coach Sean McVay understands and respects the inner-workings of a team, and how empowering players who want to lead to actually lead is a vital component to overseeing a successful team.

And in talking to some people, I’m not necessarily sure the Rams previous regime understood or respected or was comfortable or inclined to give willing leaders the green light to lead.

McVay seems the polar opposite of that. Not just in words, but in action. He actively sought out strong, inclined leaders through free agency and commissioned them to carry the torch he handed them.

Not surprisingly, in talking to Rams players, they are ecstatic about it. This is a very young team, and a lot of these guys are not too proud to say they appreciate older teammates setting a tone, reaching out to them, or being an example they can emulate.

Not everyone is equipped to be that kind of leader. Or is willing to be, for that matter. Some guys lead, some guys follow, some guys just show up every day, do their thing, and go home. There’s no right or wrong to it. Everyone is wired differently.

And that’s fine.

The Rams, to their credit, understood they had an example/veteran leadership void and went out and added guys like Whitworth, Robert Woods, Connor Barwin and John Sullivan, among others, to fill it.

Just as importantly, in talking to folks, they have a coaching staff in McVay and his assistants who understand the importance in allowing those leaders to lead.

And the sense I get is, holdover players who have that kind of voice and embody the message and culture will now be empowered to express themselves.

[www.ocregister.com]

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Fisher was a bit of a control freak and didn't seem to know how to delegate power.
His coaches seemed to be more "yes men" than leaders.

When he drafted players he didn't seem to consider whether they were leaders or had a competitive spirit at all.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Feels so much different than in recent years. You get the sense that McVay will demand accountability and maturity. Last years squad felt so disjointed to me. A bunch of wanna be diva players playing for themselves. I mean....Kenny fucking Britt was a "leader" on this team a year ago. I don't care how well he produced last year, he was part of the problem with that 4-12 team. Period. McVay appears to me to be more of a perfectionist and someone who will play the players he feels will be most cohesive and accountable for doing their damn jobs. I love it.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Fisher was a bit of a control freak and didn't seem to know how to delegate power.
His coaches seemed to be more "yes men" than leaders.

When he drafted players he didn't seem to consider whether they were leaders or had a competitive spirit at all.
I have noticed that a lot of the Players we Drafted/ picked-up / or just tried-out, where Team leader and had been Team Capt.'s !! And they are all Team 1st Players!!

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
0605_spo_ldn-l-rams-ota14_23961679-1.jpg

Lol are they getting smoked on the quarterdeck?! McVay is just missing his DI hat... Thats instilling leadership right there. Don't be that guy thats lacking...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
There is a different Story behind this photo!!

0605_spo_.jpg

the Sargent.gif

" Both of you get down and give me 50 push-ups, you where 'Loafing' on that last play!!" " And keep those Butt's down, straighten those Backs, and go all the way down, No cheating or you start over!!"

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
hmmmmm, we shall see with whom the problem lies...as far as leadership @Faceplant
Actually, I hope we WON'T see ANY problem with leadership. That is the goal, yes? What exactly are you implying, my wise, yet cynical ROD brother?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Actually, I hope we WON'T see ANY problem with leadership. That is the goal, yes? What exactly are you implying, my wise, yet cynical ROD brother?
Leadership should equal wins correct?

I'm all for leaders...usually homegrown...like, I didn't like letting Chris Long go....Steve Jackson go...I didn't mind James Lauranitis...but I would have rather had him play a reduced 2 down role, than be released. But I understand why we did let JL55 walk...But SJ39 and CLong??? You don't just let leaders walk.

Importing leadership...IDK...Whitworth yes....proven...I'm not sure if Woods qualifies...I mean, if he doesn't really produce...if he looks like he did in Buffalo...is Pharoh Cooper gonna really respect him? Is Tavon gonna really look at him as a leader? If Mike Thomas is balling out, is he going to really go to a lesser player like Woods for advice? Guys say a lot to a microphone...but behind closed doors, it could be a whole other ball game. You can't have a top paid player, not performing, trying to act like a damn leader. It's counter productive. Aaron Donald is a leader...whether he likes it or not...Ogletree is a leader...Barron is a leader...Tru is a leader (oh geez...) Gurley is a leader...If these guys perform...guys will look at them and mimic their behavior...for good or bad.

I'm hoping McVay is the first leader...sorta like that guy Groh in Miami....

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
View attachment 20179

" Private Pyle, you are the kind of one way son of a bitch that would stand in formation for hours without having the courtesy to give the man in front of you a reach-around!"

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Leadership should equal wins correct?

I'm all for leaders...usually homegrown...like, I didn't like letting Chris Long go....Steve Jackson go...I didn't mind James Lauranitis...but I would have rather had him play a reduced 2 down role, than be released. But I understand why we did let JL55 walk...But SJ39 and CLong??? You don't just let leaders walk.

Importing leadership...IDK...Whitworth yes....proven...I'm not sure if Woods qualifies...I mean, if he doesn't really produce...if he looks like he did in Buffalo...is Pharoh Cooper gonna really respect him? Is Tavon gonna really look at him as a leader? If Mike Thomas is balling out, is he going to really go to a lesser player like Woods for advice? Guys say a lot to a microphone...but behind closed doors, it could be a whole other ball game. You can't have a top paid player, not performing, trying to act like a damn leader. It's counter productive. Aaron Donald is a leader...whether he likes it or not...Ogletree is a leader...Barron is a leader...Tru is a leader (oh geez...) Gurley is a leader...If these guys perform...guys will look at them and mimic their behavior...for good or bad.

I'm hoping McVay is the first leader...sorta like that guy Groh in Miami....
Agree on all counts, and honestly....I think McVay is every bit of that and more. That dude has a quiet intensity about him that I love. He has maturity beyond his years and I really liked what I heard from the legends players. That was not lip service my friend, that was genuine respect for our young coach and his football IQ. I think the football acumen, and his no bullshit attitude will take him and our team to fantastic places. I really do. It may take a couple years to get the players he needs for his various scheme fits, but it's comin. And yes, I realize he has not proven anything as a HC in this league, but that is just the feeling I get. I haven't been this excited about a Rams coach since....maybe ever.