Bonsignore: Latest loss confirms it'll take more than switching QBs, coaches to reverse Rams' slide

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
oi9k6t-b88859740z.120161215214747000gj5kka3n.10.jpg

Rams quarterback Jared Goff, right, heads for the sideline but doesn't get there before he is hit by Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman, left, knocking him from the game in the fourth quarter Thursday. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

SEATTLE – What, you thought getting rid of Jeff Fisher was suddenly going to transform the Rams into the ’85 Bears?

Not that kind of party folks.

The makeover will begin after the New Year. There is a new coach to hire. A fresh vision and culture to usher in.

The offensive line needs to be rebuilt. The receiving corp needs to be overhauled.

That takes time. Could be years, even.

No matter how bad it had gotten under Fisher, no matter how much everyone wished the hopeful voice of interim coach John Fassel would be the catalyst to a Rams renaissance, that was unrealistic.

Three days after letting Fisher go, the Rams were the same old Rams in a 24-3 loss to the Seattle Seahawks Thursday night under a dark, cloudless Pacific Northwest sky that offered a cold, uncaring shoulder to a fragile team reeling from unmet expectations, another season gone sideways and the sudden dismissal of a coach for whom fondness never translated into consistent winning.

It all looked so familiar.

“The mistakes. The constant inconsistencies,” Rams tackle Rodger Saffold said, solemnly. “It’s just very frustrating. It’s crazy.”

And into this sad saga anxiety crept, as rookie quarterback Jared Goff got leveled by Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman along the sideline on a fourth-quarter gallop toward the end zone. A wiser Goff will learn to get out of bounds or slide when presented with a similar circumstance. But this time he gallantly stayed inbounds in pursuit of more yards.

Sherman cleanly slammed him to the ground. A wobbly Goff rose and walked back to the Rams huddle, but the game officials opted to call to the Rams sideline to come take Goff off the field.

Goff was eventually taken to the locker room to be evaluated for a concussion.

It would have been ironic had it not been so poignantly Rams.

Goff was piecing together his best drive of the season, flashing the quick thinking, potent arm and accurate passing that earned him the distinction as the best quarterback in the 2016 draft.

But just a few yards away from delivering a touchdown and some hope for the future, Goff got body slammed to the ground. His night was finished as a result.

And so the beat goes on.

Different coach.

Same results.

More dropped balls by receivers – including a would-be impact bomb from Goff that Michael Thomas let slip through his hands to the turf.

In the first quarter, even, with the outcome still uncertain and momentum up for grabs. Goff unleashed a ball that traveled nearly 40 yards in the air as Thomas slipped behind his defender.

An entire stadium gasped.

But with a chance to make a big play, deliver statement and lend a helping hand to a rookie quarterback still finding his way, Thomas couldn’t hold onto the ball.

“One bad thing happens, a hundred more (start) coming,” said Rams wide receiver Tavon Austin.

Same old same old.

Defensive penalties that helped move the Seahawks down the field. Missed assignments that needed little explaining to a national TV audience.

Like left tackle Greg Robinson looking silly on a whiffed block in which he came up with air when he should have laid his body into Seahawks end Cassius Marsh.

Marsh flew unimpeded into the Rams backfield as a result. Then crashed into an unsuspecting Goff for a crushing sack.

It was a game-long theme, as Goff took a vicious beating operating behind an offensive line that got overwhelmed by the Seahawks.

“We just aren’t getting it done,” Austin said. “And there’s a whole bunch of fingers to point, if you want to be honest.”

The beat goes on indeed.

For another two weeks any way. At which point the Rams’ triumphant first season back in Los Angeles will mercifully be put to rest. To be laid alongside the lost season a year ago.

And the one before that and the one before that and the one before that.

The finish line is near.

These Rams under Fassel are tasked only with gracefully getting across it.

Then the real work begins.

“This is the last time this locker room is going to look like this,” Saffold said. “That’s just to be honest. There’s a lot of guys that aren’t going to be here next year.”

Contact the writer: vbonsignore@scng.com

Bonsignore, Much work to be done

Mod edit: Please remember to include a link.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/rams-738630-goff-seahawks.html

Last edited by a moderator:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I already knew that. There are several players we need to replace.
Not necessarily upgrade. Just replace.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
"Same Old"

Those are fighting words for me. Anyone who even just wants to give the impression of being a Ram Fan should know better than to say that (print that).

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm glad players recognize that the guys making mistakes will be held accountable. And won't be back. And won't be missed.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Austins' comments make it sound like there's tension between the offensive players.
Not defense vs. Offense tension.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Austins' comments make it sound like there's tension between the offensive players.
Not defense vs. Offense tension.

Egos...Probably the jealousy of why do you make more money than I do??? Middle school jargon.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
We can start by shedding the following players:
Lance Kendricks - missed blocks and drops one pass a game.

Brian "Gump" Quick - Just has an extremely low football IQ and plays at 5'10" sometimes.

Grob - If we can find a trade partner with value in return that believes they can reclaim his career.

Another thing, this zone run block is garbage. If we have 300lb refrigerators with legs, find a man and get in his way. Don't over complicate things.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
We can start by shedding the following players:
Lance Kendricks - missed blocks and drops one pass a game.

Brian "Gump" Quick - Just has an extremely low football IQ and plays at 5'10" sometimes.

Grob - If we can find a trade partner with value in return that believes they can reclaim his career.

Another thing, this zone run block is garbage. If we have 300lb refrigerators with legs, find a man and get in his way. Don't over complicate things.

Cut Saffold. Move Grob to guard. Search for another LT or move Havensein over. We need a C and RG anyways.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Cut Saffold. Move Grob to guard. Search for another LT or move Havensein over. We need a C and RG anyways.

The only place he needs to be moved to is the bench. He has gotten worse and won't show any improvement in the next two games. I would rather have Brown play RT because he played there at Louisville and couldn't be any worse. I think Boudreau is too stubborn to bench Havenstein.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I do think if Josh McDaniels is the choice, our recievers are close. Cooper, Tavon, and Higbee are all players that would flourish in his system. Thomas would too if he can somehow learn to catch. The offensive line needs the most attention. I'm not sure we have a single quality starter. Maybe we can save Robinson if we move him back to guard. Brown might be serviceable.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
"Same Old"

Those are fighting words for me. Anyone who even just wants to give the impression of being a Ram Fan should know better than to say that (print that).
" My Blood started boiling the second I read those words!! I thought WTF is this S-H-I-T!!"(y):shades:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The new coach will find a very nice TE weapon in Higbee. Coop is also gonna stick and be a positive starter-type piece. He'll undoubtedly add a FA piece to help settle down the OL, and I pray to God a good FA wideout.

Draft is gonna need to add defense, definitely at CB but not just there. Put all those pieces together and I don't think it's a given this is a rebuild. IMO this team has some key pieces and will be very competitive if they bring in the right coach.

Where the real danger is, though, is on defense, wrt the hire. Some of these OC types might want to run a 3-4 with a two-gap type approach due to the guy they plan to bring in. That type of stuff needs to be closely looked at to avoid a rebuild.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Sorry to say, but I think we might be in a total rebuild mode. If you look at the OL (a given) then if you look at our DL outside of Donald most guys are getting up there in age. Are back ups at LB have not shown yet if they have any NFL game in them yet. Plus depends on new coach what will become of Baron? Secondary needs help through out the line up.
Our WRs are freakin garbage, dump gasoline on this group and light them up.
Our TE group keep the rookies and add a vet to the mix.

Basically only positions that can be left alone are: RBs, & Punter