Bonsignore: From offensive line to receivers, Rams providing little support for rookie QB Jared Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
oiazya-b88860435z.120161216162458000gdkkksri.10.jpg

Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman lays a big hit on Rams quarterback Jared Goff, knocking him from the game during the second half Thursday. (Dean Rutz/The Seattle Times via AP)

Bonsignore: From offensive line to receivers, Rams providing little support for rookie QB Jared Goff

By VINCENT BONSIGNORE / STAFF COLUMNIST

SEATTLE – Jared Goff didn't say much as he made his way across the Rams locker room at CenturyLink Field on Thursday night. With a sleepy look on his face and eyes that some would describe as dazed, he offered only a slight smile while giving a thumb’s-up sign.

It was a comforting gesture after Goff had spent much of a cold night in Seattle getting pummeled by a Seahawks defense that overwhelmed the Rams offensive line. The final blow was delivered by Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman as Goff raced down the sideline seeking a first down. It sent Goff slamming to the ground out of bounds, and after he wobbly rose back up to retreat to the huddle, he was immediately ordered off the field by game officials for fear of a possible concussion.

The whole scene was a scary reminder of the fire the Rams are playing with sending their rookie quarterback into meaningless games while operating behind an offensive line ill-equipped to protect him.

On one hand the Rams hope to build a foundation for Goff over the final few weeks of the season, from which he can climb into next year with a body of work under his belt and some clarity about playing quarterback on the NFL level.

Every play, every game, every up or down or good read or bad is a deposit in Goff's development. And with so much of the Rams’ future tied into the first overall pick in last April's draft, expediting that process is paramount.

On the other, it's easy to imagine Rams decision-makers holding their breath every time Goff drops back to pass. Their anxiety is justified, considering the team’s problems protecting its young quarterback. A national TV audience was confronted with that issue upon seeing left tackle Greg Robinson completely whiff on a pass block, leaving Seahawks end Cassius Marsh to easily slide past him unimpeded before thundering into Goff for a violent sack.

The Rams must weigh the development of Goff with the inherent danger of protecting him with one of the worst lines in the league.

Some other observations from a lost night in Seattle.

GOFF IS GETTING NO HELP

It's tough to gauge how far Jared Goff has come over his first four NFL starts, even unfair, as the rookie quarterback from Cal is getting minimal help from his offensive teammates.

Goff was sacked five times Thursday night, and was under pressure the majority of times he dropped back to pass.

When he was given time to throw, he was effective while going 11 of 17. And at least three of those misses where dropped balls. The most glaring one came when Michael Thomas dropped a well-thrown bomb from Goff to wipe out a big play early in the game.

Between constantly playing under duress and a serious like of firepower and competency among the Rams’ playmakers, it's impossible to judge where Goff is in his development schedule.

“Thought pretty sharp,” interim coach John Fassel said when asked his impression of Goff's play. “We were pressing as soon as we got behind by a score or two. We dropped back to throw it. Their defensive line can start rushing the passer. What I have learned about Jared after spending a little more time learning the quarterback position, he is a tough kid. That will take him a really long ways. We have to do more in all three phases to help him out, whether it’s field position or running the football.”

They've been saying that all year, with little progress.

As a result, it's tough to get a read on what the Rams really have in Goff.

MORE TALK, LITTLE CHANGE

Whether it's silly penalties, missed assignments or dropped balls, the Rams notoriously shoot themselves in the foot over and over and over.

They've addressed the coaching end of that equation by firing Jeff Fisher.

Presumably the new coach will bring new vision and sterner leadership and accountability and perhaps put an end to the maddening habits.

But for now, it's the same old same old.

“It’s just one of those things. It just seems like it’s repetitive,” said center Tim Barnes. “In the last couple of weeks, we’ve just got to find a way to keep improving and trying to finish out right, because that’s what we want to do. The guys in this room, we don’t quit. We’re not quitting. We haven’t quit. We’re playing hard. We just have to find a way to execute better and do better.”

And at some point that will result in a mass exodus of players unwilling or unable to make the necessary improvements.

“I’m going to keep fighting for these guys because this is the last time this locker room is going to look like this, let’s just be honest,” said guard Rodger Saffold. “There are a lot of guys who aren’t going to be here next year.”

[www.ocregister.com]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Took him long enough to acknowledge it. I guess it's just a matter of seeing another QB have the same problems.
This is him a month ago --

In what football world is Fisher operating when he claims an offense unable to consistently get into the opposing end zone while averaging a league-worst 16.3 points a game isn’t at least partially the fault of the quarterback?

“I’m not putting that on the quarterback,” Fisher said.

That’s ridiculous.

Keenum is doing nothing to justify keeping his job. Not in the won/loss column or the stat book. He was billed as a game manager, but he isn’t delivering.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
A game is usually decided on a few plays...b4 Mike Thomas' drop, Kenny Britt left with an injury...That play should have went to Britt....or Quick

I still say coaching...and the INABILITY TO IDENTIFY AND DEVELOP TALENT is a major problem...Mike Thomas hasn't shown in ANY game he deserves to be a primary target on ANY route....

That drop by Thomas...that play on 4th and 1 (prayed for a HB pass)...that int. by Bryce Hagar...that miss by Goff to Quick....that bomb on 3rd and 11 over #1 CB Tru Johnson...4 or 5 key plays change games...which is why we don't have time to be experimenting on players like Mike Thomas...Britt or Quick or Tavon....TE's Kendricks or Higbee...that's it...

We already know the line has issues...Scheme around it Boras.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Dropped passes. Britt, Austin, Thomas,Quick and Kendricks account for at least 15 dropped passes in just the last 4 games. Balls hitting them in the hands and then bouncing straight up in the air resulting with and INT, at least 5 times this year. Mike Thomas has shown exactly what he showed in TC and pre-season, he can't catch the ball.

DB's and LB's can't catch the ball either. I've seen several times DB's and LB's drop catchable balls that should have been turnovers or pick six' that were dropped.

OL is a disaster. Havenstien has no business starting. He's clearly favoring his foot and is so slow he can't get out of his own way. Against the Seahags he got blown by time and time again. Barnes isn't much better. I'm tired of seeing opposing players in the backfield getting their hands on Gurley before he even gets the handoff. When was the last time Gurley ran a ball up the middle for a gain?

Those are my top two gripes. Boneheaded drive killing penalties and giving up 3rd and longs are my next two gripes, but I need another beer before I rant on those.

Whoever takes over sure has their work cut out for them.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Lol how many years has it been, replace the names, like Goff with Bradford, Britt with Amendola etc and etc, this article would probably be nearly identical to one from 2011.

I'm beginning to believe the Rams are truly snakebitten.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I do believe we have a good set of young OLer's to build on already. The truth as I see it is to why this OL went into " FAIL MODE " from the first regular season game would have to fall on the shoulders of the OC & Paul Boudreau. Not saying that the OL'ers did not have a fair amount ingredient as to why it went in the sewer. I have this strong feeling that these OL'ers wanted & desired to go out & preform the best they could & as they were permitted to do. The coaches failed to put them in a position as to where they could play better as a unit.

Yes the OC offensive design & our veteran highly regarded OL coach who for years had done a very good job of refurbishing & rebuild old injured low talented OL into a patched up decent functional operating OL's from OL junk yards was found to be inept & impotent, totally incapable of building a basically entire new OL from ground/foundational up as Snead delivered better building materials to Boudreau early in 2015. It sure did seem that by the end of the 2015 season this OL unit was out of the ground & going up.

Some have posted that Snead did not deliver a decent young crop of OL'ers i.e. LT Robinson 1st rd.. OC Rhaney 7th rd., RT 2nd rd.Havenstein, LG 3rd rd. Brown, OT 4th rd. Donnal, OG 6th rd. Wichmann, OT 5th rd. Battle & UDFA OT Williams & OT Pace Murphy.

This unit as a whole is a monster sized PBS cadre not a ZBS OL unit. But I sure would like to hold a conversation on those who think of this OL cadre as poor bunch of young OL'ers without any talent. I could not argue on one OL who has proven to be nothing close to good & we all know who that is LT GRob. He might be the best offensive drive killer in the NFL today!

Boudreau just plain failed in the ability to put the right OL'ers into the right posts & let them learn & grow. It also looks like he was resistant to yank an under performing rotten playing OL'ers which in the long run ruin & bled over to rot the entire OL ( both OT's). I believe a new fresh OL coach will be able to take this current 11 OL cadre & get them in the correct post & position that best fits their abilities & skills. I should say this too.... that Boudreau might have been taking direct orders from Fisher on who to keep in the line up, so I am not convinced in full, that Fisher may have had a major hand into the :poop: too. But Fisher was gone for this last Thursday night game & we still saw Boudreau run out both GRob & Havenstein as starters???

One example is who Boudreau ran the ORT post from game one. Bad decision to insert the highly rusted, un healthy injured lower ankle foot Rob Havenstein over the veteran Rodger Saffold. Saffold started @ RT in OTA's all of training Camp & all of pre season & did a good job there. When the season began he moved Saffold back to OG. The RT post never moved out of Fail Mode this entire season being the #1 weak link. Its not because Boudreau does not have OG's who lack starting experience. Three ...Brown, Wichmann & Donnal all have numerous starts under their belts??? That's question #1.

Bottom Line, its a real puzzle to me that with the extra large amount of Ram valuable investments & assets utilized to bring a healthy young fresh powerful OL in 2015 & have Gurley up & running so well with six first yr OL'ers heavily involved in blowing open HOLES for Gurley would all fall off @ once in 2016! What's the odds of that happening.

P.S. one side item that related ....Why did the Rams remove our FB/HB Cory Harkey from the lineup this season. Harkey has Zero stats in 2016 season. Zero!

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Good assessment Boni. When the run game wasn't working and the OL wasn't opening holes, why didn't they make a change and put Saffold at RT and Brown at LG? When Havenstien wasn't performing at his '15 level, why didn't they make a change? Not once did they go back to what was working at the end of last season. That's not on the players, that's on the coaching.

Garrett Reynolds was IR'd then released. He was argueably the Rams best OL last year. He has been healthy and able to play since week 7, and the Rams certainly could have used his help, but he remains a FA.

No way all those new OL are busts. Most were 3 or more year starters at major colleges.

FRO

Legend
Took him long enough to acknowledge it. I guess it's just a matter of seeing another QB have the same problems.
This is him a month ago --

In what football world is Fisher operating when he claims an offense unable to consistently get into the opposing end zone while averaging a league-worst 16.3 points a game isn’t at least partially the fault of the quarterback?

“I’m not putting that on the quarterback,” Fisher said.

That’s ridiculous.

Keenum is doing nothing to justify keeping his job. Not in the won/loss column or the stat book. He was billed as a game manager, but he isn’t delivering.
Funny how that works. I doubt he realizes his double standard. I didn't feel like Keenum was the answer at QB, but I also don't think he was getting adequate help. Goff also is getting poor support. It has negatively affected the offense.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Garrett Reynolds and the Rams reached and injury settlement on Sept 9, then they released him.

Some may not know that Garrett is the nephew of former Ram "Hacksaw" Reynolds.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Garrett Reynolds and the Rams reached and injury settlement on Sept 9, then they released him.

Some may not know that Garrett is the nephew of former Ram "Hacksaw" Reynolds.
I miss having him. He was a key cog in making our line function as well as it did.

Did not know he was hacksaws nephew. Thanks for the knowledge. (y)

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Good assessment Boni. When the run game wasn't working and the OL wasn't opening holes, why didn't they make a change and put Saffold at RT and Brown at LG? When Havenstien wasn't performing at his '15 level, why didn't they make a change? Not once did they go back to what was working at the end of last season. That's not on the players, that's on the coaching.

Garrett Reynolds was IR'd then released. He was argueably the Rams best OL last year. He has been healthy and able to play since week 7, and the Rams certainly could have used his help, but he remains a FA.

No way all those new OL are busts. Most were 3 or more year starters at major colleges.

Very good points... Garrett Reynolds gave an iron man performance in 2015. GR saw starts @ RT & LG but also saw action @ RG. It was his play @ OLG that gave him his best chance to raise the level of his game. GR played very good in place of Rodger Saffold. I thought he was the best playing Ram OG in 2015. Even with the GRob anchor wrapped around his left side. In the 2016 pre season we watched GR play mostly on the right side not left. Strange was it not? Boudreau's plan was to use GR as the main back up to both RT & RG.

GR did not start one pre season game for Boudreau and was injured late in game four of pre season.GR was playing RG at the time. The injury appeared to be to the lower leg or ankle it was never clear to me if it was disclosed I never saw it. At the time of the injury I was confused why Boudreau was playing Cody Wichmann @ LG & Jamon Brown back @ RG. Saffold was the starter @ RT. It was my position that GR should have remained @ LG as the starter that he had earned it....Boudreau did not agree with me.

It was my desire to see a Robinson-Reynolds-Barnes-Wichmann-Saffold regular season opening lineup. It was not to be. I would hope the Rams look up GR in the off season & see if he would like to return & let him take the LG post! On Rodger Saffold in 2017....the only way I would keep him here was to take him out of the OG posts completely & be a OT only.

http://www.therams.com/team/transactions.html

FRO

Legend
Very good points... Garrett Reynolds gave an iron man performance in 2015. GR saw starts @ RT & LG but also saw action @ RG. It was his play @ OLG that gave him his best chance to raise the level of his game. GR played very good in place of Rodger Saffold. I thought he was the best playing Ram OG in 2015. Even with the GRob anchor wrapped around his left side. In the 2016 pre season we watched GR play mostly on the right side not left. Strange was it not? Boudreau's plan was to use GR as the main back up to both RT & RG.

GR did not start one pre season game for Boudreau and was injured late in game four of pre season.GR was playing RG at the time. The injury appeared to be to the lower leg or ankle it was never clear to me if it was disclosed I never saw it. At the time of the injury I was confused why Boudreau was playing Cody Wichmann @ LG & Jamon Brown back @ RG. Saffold was the starter @ RT. It was my position that GR should have remained @ LG as the starter that he had earned it....Boudreau did not agree with me.

It was my desire to see a Robinson-Reynolds-Barnes-Wichmann-Saffold regular season opening lineup. It was not to be. I would hope the Rams look up GR in the off season & see if he would like to return & let him take the LG post!
I don't know why this team moves the young linemen around. Last year they had Saffold at LG and Brown at RG all offseason, camp, and preseason, only to change it before the first game. Why can't they just give these guys a spot and let them perfect it instead of moving them around.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don't know why this team moves the young linemen around. Last year they had Saffold at LG and Brown at RG all offseason, camp, and preseason, only to change it before the first game. Why can't they just give these guys a spot and let them perfect it instead of moving them around.
I have heard it said often by people close to OL coach Boudreau that if your not one of his starters you must be able to play 2 to 3 OL positions very well. I would say from what I have seen from him in his two tours here with the Rams & the Falcons .....this is true.

Andrew Donnal who has been a reserve for Boudreau until two games ago, Donnal has started @ both OG posts & RT posts he has also played 3 quarters @ OLT and did a very good job in relief of Saffold who was in relief of Robinson. So Donnal is now a four post reserve & has worked himself into a starter @ ORG . Jamon Brown is currently a relief OL'er who works two OG posts. Same can be said for Cody Wichmann. David Arkin is a relief & has played in the 3 interior posts. The only one post reserve is Pace Murphy who is a OLT.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Mike Thomas hasn't shown in ANY game he deserves to be a primary target on ANY route....
Had hopes for this guy,but his hands have been atrocious to this point.
Pharoh has shown some flashes though and hopefully Spruce
can continue to develop.Cooper and Spruce seem to have very
natural hands while Thomas looks very unnatural even when he has caught the ball.

FRO

Legend
I have heard it said often by people close to OL coach Boudreau that if your not one of his starters you must be able to play 2 to 3 OL positions very well. I would say from what I have seen from him in his two tours here with the Rams & the Falcons .....this is true.

Andrew Donnal who has been a reserve for Boudreau until two games ago, Donnal has started @ both OG posts & RT posts he has also played 3 quarters @ OLT and did a very good job in relief of Saffold who was in relief of Robinson. So Donnal is now a four post reserve & has worked himself into a starter @ ORG . Jamon Brown is currently a relief OL'er who works two OG posts. Same can be said for Cody Wichmann. David Arkin is a relief & has played in the 3 interior posts. The only one post reserve is Pace Murphy who is a OLT.
I understand making the backups versatile. I just don't understand why they move the starters around so much in training camp and not allow them to build chemistry at their spots.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Whoever the new guys is, he's got his work cut out for him on the offensive end. He'll need several linemen and several receivers. And get rid of anything that remains of the Fisher/Boras system. I know changing coaches and systems is not good for a young quarterback, but this would be a classic case of addition by subtraction.