Bonsignore: Fisher sticking with Case Keenum – and Rams appear to be sticking with Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

ogedrc-b88836040z.120161109150902000gj7jv1m5.10.jpg

Is the decision by Rams coach Jeff Fisher, left, to stick with Case Keenum at quarterback a sign that he'll be back as coach in 2017? (AP Photo/Paul Sancya)

Fisher sticking with Case Keenum – and Rams appear to be sticking with Fisher

By VINCENT BONSIGNORE / STAFF COLUMNIST

Give Jeff Fisher this much at least.

When he sticks to his guns, he really sticks to his guns.

The Rams coach firmly believes in the plan he has in place for rookie quarterback Jared Goff. It’s built on a foundation of patience and prudence and follows a blueprint he drew up 21 years ago as the head coach of the Houston Oilers to bring along then-rookie quarterback Steve McNair.

The gist being: Goff – like McNair – will not see the field until Fisher thinks he’s ready to handle the job.

That’s why Fisher is sticking for now with Case Keenum, who hasn’t exactly distinguished himself while guiding the Rams to a 3-5 record and four straight losses.

Despite the losing streak and fringe spot in the division and playoff race, Fisher not only believes the Rams can still turn things around, he’s convinced Keenum – not Goff – gives the Rams the best chance to win each week.

It’s a simple formula Fisher makes no bones about adhering to.

And it provides a legitimate glimpse into just how comfortable he is about his future as the head coach of the Rams.

Which is to say, pretty damned comfortable despite being in the final year of his contract and no official word yet on a new deal

“I’m not uncomfortable at all,” he said. “I’m uncomfortable because I didn’t expect to be three-and-whatever we are, OK, but I’m not uncomfortable at all. I never look over my shoulder, we’re moving on. (Rams owner) Stan (Kroenke) and I are on the same page, he understands what we’ve been through, he’s as disappointed as I am at the losses – two three-points and a seven-point in the last three games. He understands that we’re competitive and we’re doing everything we possibly can to get this turned around.”

My thoughts?

Fisher and the Rams have an agreement on the parameters of a two- or three-year deal. While the 30-40-1 overall record over the past four-plus years might not be worthy of it, the Rams appreciate what Fisher has done in rebuilding a morbid roster and navigating the Rams across their 1,600-mile relocation from St. Louis to Los Angeles in as seamless a fashion as possible.

And barring a complete face plant over the past eight games, the Rams will renew their vows with Fisher at the end of the season. Whether he sticks around through the length of the deal will largely depend on what happens in 2017, with the Rams more than a year removed from relocation madness.

Point being, he’ll be on as short a leash as possible.

If that doesn’t sit well with fans, consider this: Upon canvassing some NFL people, the consensus seems to be short of complete disaster the rest of 2016, it would be unfair to let Fisher go after everything the Rams put him through during their quest to get back to L.A.

That said, if he doesn’t pull them out of mediocrity in 2017, the plug would have to be pulled with Kroenke simply swallowing whatever remaining money is owed Fisher.

All of which makes sense based on the decisions being made.

If Fisher truly thought his contract could expire at the end of the season without hope of a new deal, he could have easily bought himself some time by rolling with Goff, and the inevitable ups and downs that come with it, and played the rookie quarterback card with his bosses to convince them he deserves more time.

That he hasn’t is probably a good indication Fisher knows he’ll be back in 2017.

From that confidence, Fisher can make the calls he feels are best for the team short- and long-term, without concern to how it might play on his job status.

That includes Goff, who Fisher is obviously looking out for by not playing him until he thinks he’s ready.

You can debate for days the merit of development through actual playing time – and how it might expedite Goff’s growth process by getting him on the field sooner rather than later. For every David Carr, who was destroyed by getting rushed onto the field by the Houston Texans before he or the Texans were ready, there is a Troy Aikman, who took a beating as a rookie on a really bad Dallas Cowboys team but not only lived to tell about it, was probably better off for the experience.

Fisher believes in a different tact. It’s called the long play. And he believes Goff and the Rams will be stronger because of it.

“We’re taking our time, we’re being patient,” Fisher said. “And when we feel it’s the right time, he’ll be under center.”

It’s important to understand Fisher doesn’t appear to be a lone wolf in making the call. While the Rams believe the head coach – whoever he is – has the right to make decisions he feels are best for the club, there also is support in the building for how Fisher is handling things.

There is confidence Fisher and General Manager Les Snead made the right call in selecting Goff over North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz, who started from Day One with the Eagles. And there is agreement in the way Fisher is preceding and Goff’s long-range future as an NFL star.

No matter how it might look from the outside, the Rams appear unified inside the building.

It’s further proof parameters of a contract extension are likely in place.

As for Keenum, as long as Fisher believes he gives the Rams the best chance to win, the job is his. It will be Keenum lining up behind center against the New York Jets on Sunday, and until further notice.

“Case is starting,” Fisher said.

But he also left a huge door wide open for Goff to take the job at any moment.

“He’s going to play,” Fisher said of Goff. “Whether it’s the following week, or the following week, or what have you, it’s eventually going to happen.”

If that doesn’t sound imminent, not sure what does.

And while everyone else pines for the Rams to pull the plug on Keenum and hand the keys to Goff, Fisher is sticking to his guns.

Sure sounds like someone confident he’ll be around for awhile.

[www.ocregister.com]

JerseyRam1

Rookie
And this is why I pointed the finger at Demoff last week. 5 losing seasons does not warrant an extension. Someone please help me understand how this team next year will somehow be competitive next year playing Fishers style of football. Is the offense suddenly going to be re-designed in a way that they can score on a consistent basis? Perhaps there will be an intervention of some sort similar to when Vermiel was "asked" to hire Martz. BTW, seems he is a big fan of Goff and he is still unemployed.

This organization needs a reboot. There is good young talent that Fisher has not demonstrated he cannot corral to consistently win games. Week after week the penalties, player mistakes, play calls, game plans are a mess. Time to bring in someone who can fix it. This is now a "premier job", in a great market, with a hands off owner willing to give complete control to the experts. This group of experts has repeatedly demonstrated they cannot even get over .500!!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams weren't exactly a playoff team when Fisher took over, far from it. Fact is when Fisher took over the team was worse than an expansion team. Expansion teams don't have to clear the dead weight of bad vets and refigure contracts, much harder and time consuming than just starting over. So for those first 3 or 4 years its not fair to have expected Fisher to produce a winning season.

But that's not the case now. Rams should be on the plus side of .500 even though they are the youngest team in the NFL and considerably more inexperienced.

This offense has had very little time together and it shows.

Owner Stan Kroenke has yet to see Fisher's finished product, an offense led by Jared Goff and new WR's Cooper, Thomas and Spruce, TE Higbee and Hemmingway. The '16 draft class hasn't hit the field yet and Kroenke will need to see at least a season of these guys together before he makes a decision on Fisher

I expect Kroenke will give Fisher at least two more years. By the time the Rams are ready to move into their new stadium He will have seen enough to make a decision weather to keep Fisher or go in a new direction.

classicpony

Starter
Name
Jim
Same o' Rams, they will again finish under .500 or t best .500 again. Watching them every Sunday just gets harder.
Watching some players on other teams drop to 1 knee in protest is BS!!! Maybe it is time to just QUIT WATCHING when players act like babies.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
“I’m not uncomfortable at all,” he said. “I’m uncomfortable because I didn’t expect to be three-and-whatever we are, OK, but I’m not uncomfortable at all. I never look over my shoulder, we’re moving on. (Rams owner) Stan (Kroenke) and I are on the same page, he understands what we’ve been through, he’s as disappointed as I am at the losses – two three-points and a seven-point in the last three games. He understands that we’re competitive and we’re doing everything we possibly can to get this turned around.”
This^ is really the bottom line, The Season will be played one game at a time, And weather Fisher is back next year or not doesn't enter into Fishers thought process, because he is concentrating on Winning games 1st! He is the type that won't worry about his job until the season is over!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One thing to remember here is that Stan wouldn't be firing Fisher, he would have honored the 5 year deal he agreed upon if he lets Fish walk. In other words nobody would be able to say he hadn't treated his head coach fairly.

The key here really is Goff and the question of whether this is the staff to bring him into the league. It all comes down to that, and if I were the owner that on top of the losing is the reason I'd fire Fisher before the season is over. For whatever reason Fish has not demonstrated an ability to get a good offensive staff onboard, and/or give them the tools to do what they have to do. This offense is still the same unit we saw year one, inconsistent on fundamentals, dumb players making dumb mistakes at key moments, etc. That is on him after five seasons, period.

The play of the OL is not something you can blame on the QB carousel he's had to deal with. They are still under performing. The play of the wideouts has improved a little this year but look where we still are as an offense. It's bad. Dude has to go.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
ogedrc-b88836040z.120161109150902000gj7jv1m5.10.jpg

Is the decision by Rams coach Jeff Fisher, left, to stick with Case Keenum at quarterback a sign that he'll be back as coach in 2017? (AP Photo/Paul Sancya)

Fisher sticking with Case Keenum – and Rams appear to be sticking with Fisher

By VINCENT BONSIGNORE / STAFF COLUMNIST

Give Jeff Fisher this much at least.

When he sticks to his guns, he really sticks to his guns.

The Rams coach firmly believes in the plan he has in place for rookie quarterback Jared Goff. It’s built on a foundation of patience and prudence and follows a blueprint he drew up 21 years ago as the head coach of the Houston Oilers to bring along then-rookie quarterback Steve McNair.

The gist being: Goff – like McNair – will not see the field until Fisher thinks he’s ready to handle the job.

That’s why Fisher is sticking for now with Case Keenum, who hasn’t exactly distinguished himself while guiding the Rams to a 3-5 record and four straight losses.

Despite the losing streak and fringe spot in the division and playoff race, Fisher not only believes the Rams can still turn things around, he’s convinced Keenum – not Goff – gives the Rams the best chance to win each week.

It’s a simple formula Fisher makes no bones about adhering to.

And it provides a legitimate glimpse into just how comfortable he is about his future as the head coach of the Rams.

Which is to say, pretty damned comfortable despite being in the final year of his contract and no official word yet on a new deal

My thoughts?

Fisher and the Rams have an agreement on the parameters of a two- or three-year deal. While the 30-40-1 overall record over the past four-plus years might not be worthy of it, the Rams appreciate what Fisher has done in rebuilding a morbid roster and navigating the Rams across their 1,600-mile relocation from St. Louis to Los Angeles in as seamless a fashion as possible.

And barring a complete face plant over the past eight games, the Rams will renew their vows with Fisher at the end of the season. Whether he sticks around through the length of the deal will largely depend on what happens in 2017, with the Rams more than a year removed from relocation madness.

Point being, he’ll be on as short a leash as possible.

If that doesn’t sit well with fans, consider this: Upon canvassing some NFL people, the consensus seems to be short of complete disaster the rest of 2016, it would be unfair to let Fisher go after everything the Rams put him through during their quest to get back to L.A.

That said, if he doesn’t pull them out of mediocrity in 2017, the plug would have to be pulled with Kroenke simply swallowing whatever remaining money is owed Fisher.

All of which makes sense based on the decisions being made.

If Fisher truly thought his contract could expire at the end of the season without hope of a new deal, he could have easily bought himself some time by rolling with Goff, and the inevitable ups and downs that come with it, and played the rookie quarterback card with his bosses to convince them he deserves more time.

That he hasn’t is probably a good indication Fisher knows he’ll be back in 2017.

From that confidence, Fisher can make the calls he feels are best for the team short- and long-term, without concern to how it might play on his job status.

That includes Goff, who Fisher is obviously looking out for by not playing him until he thinks he’s ready.

You can debate for days the merit of development through actual playing time – and how it might expedite Goff’s growth process by getting him on the field sooner rather than later. For every David Carr, who was destroyed by getting rushed onto the field by the Houston Texans before he or the Texans were ready, there is a Troy Aikman, who took a beating as a rookie on a really bad Dallas Cowboys team but not only lived to tell about it, was probably better off for the experience.

Fisher believes in a different tact. It’s called the long play. And he believes Goff and the Rams will be stronger because of it.

“We’re taking our time, we’re being patient,” Fisher said. “And when we feel it’s the right time, he’ll be under center.”

It’s important to understand Fisher doesn’t appear to be a lone wolf in making the call. While the Rams believe the head coach – whoever he is – has the right to make decisions he feels are best for the club, there also is support in the building for how Fisher is handling things.

There is confidence Fisher and General Manager Les Snead made the right call in selecting Goff over North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz, who started from Day One with the Eagles. And there is agreement in the way Fisher is preceding and Goff’s long-range future as an NFL star.

No matter how it might look from the outside, the Rams appear unified inside the building.

It’s further proof parameters of a contract extension are likely in place.

As for Keenum, as long as Fisher believes he gives the Rams the best chance to win, the job is his. It will be Keenum lining up behind center against the New York Jets on Sunday, and until further notice.

“Case is starting,” Fisher said.

But he also left a huge door wide open for Goff to take the job at any moment.

“He’s going to play,” Fisher said of Goff. “Whether it’s the following week, or the following week, or what have you, it’s eventually going to happen.”

If that doesn’t sound imminent, not sure what does.

And while everyone else pines for the Rams to pull the plug on Keenum and hand the keys to Goff, Fisher is sticking to his guns.

Sure sounds like someone confident he’ll be around for awhile.

[www.ocregister.com]

Using enhanced spyware software the cheatriots have scanned the playbook Fisher has in the attached pic.

They soon found it was useless and leaked it online ...

JeffsPlaybook.JPG

:shocking:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

I agree with this take.