Bobby Wagner says he was nearly a Ram/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Bobby Wagner says he was nearly a Ram
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/14960/bobby-wagner-says-he-was-nearly-a-ram

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- By now, it's pretty well known among Rams fans and followers that the team had designs on selecting Seattle linebacker Bobby Wagner in the 2012 NFL draft.

In fact, that's ground we covered nearly a year ago at this time as the Rams prepared to play the Seattle Seahawks. What's always been left unsaid is just how close the Rams were to actually drafting Wagner.

On Tuesday, Wagner revealed that it was nearly an inevitability when chatting with St. Louis media via conference call.

"I remember everything was great," Wagner said. "I talked to them before I knew they were very interested and I felt like if I wasn't going to be in Seattle or whoever had the pick before that I was going to end there. I didn't know what was going to happen, but I could definitely tell through the conversations that we were having and just the vibe that they really wanted me to be there. I actually got a text right before I got drafted by the Seahawks from the (Rams) linebackers coach, but I'm happy where I'm at.”

For the record, the Rams linebackers coach at the time was Blake Williams, the son of current defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and the then de facto defensive coordinator. And what, exactly, did the text say?

"Basically just be ready," Wagner said. "They were about to pick me, but Seattle came first. That's how the story's written.”

Of course, the story could have been written differently. Wagner recalled taking a pre-draft visit to St. Louis in which he met with the coaches, toured the facility and picked up the distinct vibe that the Rams were interested.

Unlike other near draft misses that happen to every team every year, the Rams actually had a say in this matter. Wagner was available when the Rams came on the board at No. 45 but instead of just pulling the trigger, they traded it to Chicago for pick No. 50 and a fifth-round selection.

During the 2011 season, the Rams had traded their own fifth-rounder to Denver in exchange for wide receiver Brandon Lloyd. In their efforts to recoup that pick, they moved down five spots thinking they could still land Wagner or the other linebacker prospect they coveted, Mychal Kendricks.

The Bears ended up using the 45th pick on receiver Alshon Jeffery, the Philadelphia Eagles followed by selecting Kendricks and the Seahawks promptly grabbed Wagner.

The Rams, meanwhile, ended up with two of the least productive players that coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead have drafted since arriving in St. Louis in the form of running back Isaiah Pead and guard Rokevious Watkins. Watkins is no longer with the team and Pead is on injured reserve and figures to have an uphill climb to make the roster in 2015.

Wagner has turned into one of the league's best young linebackers and a driving force behind the NFL's best defense. He earned his first Pro Bowl berth on Tuesday despite missing five games with a toe injury. Wagner has 94 tackles on the season and the Seahawks have yielded just 33 points in the five games since Wagner returned.

Not that the Rams are taken aback at how well Wagner has performed.

"He puts them in position," Fisher said. "He's very instinctive, physical. He's a sideline-to-sideline player. When he decides to pressure he can do that, he's an outstanding tackler. It's no surprise to us that he's playing this way.”

Surprised, no, but the Rams would probably still greatly prefer he was doing it for them rather than against them when the teams meet Sunday in Seattle.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
This story makes my blood boil every time I hear it.

But, as has been evidenced by several other players the Rams wanted but didn't get (Wagner, Larry Warford, Zach Martin, Justin Blackmon, etc.) they know how judge talent.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Sickens me as well. I really hoped, going into that draft, that we ended up with him. To lose him, especially to a division rival, for Pead and Watkins just adds insult to injury.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Can we not talk about this!!! Biggest draft blunder of the Snisher era!

I don't even wanna mention who we drafted instead. :(

Huge. Freak. Up.

He'd be starting over Dunbar and maybe James in the nickel. :hellno:

Who am I kidding? Dunbar would not even be on the team. Yeah... :confused:

Athos

Legend
I don't think I'll ever forgive Snisher for the Pead/Watkins fuck up....

So many quality players for the taking....and we just flat swung and missed at a ball a yard out of the strike zone.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Pathetic draft philosophy IMO. If you covet a player...ESPECIALLY at a position as important as that, you TAKE them when you have the chance. Lame.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Great example why trading back for additional selections is not always a good thing.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
This story makes my blood boil every time I hear it.

But, as has been evidenced by several other players the Rams wanted but didn't get (Wagner, Larry Warford, Zach Martin, Justin Blackmon, etc.) they know how judge talent.
Can't limp them in altogether . . . Wagner stands alone in bad choice. Warford would come only at the expense of Ogletree. Martin would have been a good trade but it would have been expensive. Blackmon, we were lucky he was gone.

You could argue a chain of events, we get Wagner, then no need for Ogletree and we take Warford. But that pushes a what if scenario

Wagner was a screw up, but we've done very well in drafting with Snisher. All you need do is look at Rams drafts from 2011 and prior to see the difference, Kloppy, Shepard, Trung, Kennedy and so on and so on

Irish

Starter
Wagner is the straw that stirs the drink in Seattle, just like Kuechly in Carolina. Blue chip middle linebackers.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
bas-rutten-pissed-off-o.gif

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Shit happens. He was the 7th LB off the board, and crystal balls are always in short supply in April. We also already had a starting MLB and needed other players.
Hindsight makes it a bad decision. Freakin' hindsight.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
crap happens. He was the 7th LB off the board, and crystal balls are always in short supply in April. We also already had a starting MLB and needed other players.
The Rams obviously need to hire a psychic.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
We all know how much Fisher wanted Wagner, and Wagner turned out to be a good player. We know how to spot talent on this team.

Now, Fisher also wanted Mo Alexander as much as he wanted Bobby Wagner. We don't seem to have a spot for him, but he has immense talent and might work his way onto the field eventually. If Fisher is right and this guy is as good as he says he is...we might have a serious player going under the radar here.

Athos

Legend
crap happens. He was the 7th LB off the board, and crystal balls are always in short supply in April. We also already had a starting MLB and needed other players.

haha. Not for me. But then....I was done with Cincy players after Gilyard. Call me bitter, but having lived in Ohio and seen the BearCats "play football."

Fuck no to anymore players from Cincinnati.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Can't limp them in altogether . . . Wagner stands alone in bad choice. Warford would come only at the expense of Ogletree. Martin would have been a good trade but it would have been expensive. Blackmon, we were lucky he was gone.

You could argue a chain of events, we get Wagner, then no need for Ogletree and we take Warford. But that pushes a what if scenario

Wagner was a screw up, but we've done very well in drafting with Snisher. All you need do is look at Rams drafts from 2011 and prior to see the difference, Kloppy, Shepard, Trung, Kennedy and so on and so on

That was my point. They've shown an eye for good players based on names that we heard after drafts they were interested in.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
I may be the only guy who still admits it, but I loved the Pead pick at the time. I really thought he was going to be a special player.

fearsomefour

Legend
I may be the only guy who still admits it, but I loved the Pead pick at the time. I really thought he was going to be a special player.
If people are honest most of us hit on some guy we would wanted the team to draft and missed on some as well....I remember being over the moon about Dilfer....he was THE guy who was going to turn the Rams around in my brilliant opinion.