Bleacher Report: Rams Mock Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2373750-st-louis-rams-mock-draft-7-round-predictions-post-combine

St. Louis Rams Mock Draft: 7-Round Predictions Post-Combine
By Steven Gerwel, Featured Columnist

First, it's worth noting that this mock draft assumes that the Rams stand behind Sam Bradford at quarterback. It also assumes the Rams will do something to address the quarterback position either through trade or free agency.

Round 1: T Ereck Flowers, Miami (Florida)
hi-res-16d845aedcccc81ffa3aa2c02bc87688_crop_north.jpg

David J. Phillip/Associated Press

The Rams desperately need upgrades on the offensive line, and there's no guarantee right tackle Joe Barksdale will re-sign. With that in mind, Miami's Ereck Flowers is an excellent option at No. 10 overall.

Flowers led the combine with 37 reps on the 225-pound bench press. His strength is what makes him a fierce run-blocker, and that's what Jeff Fisher is looking for in linemen. St. Louis desires to be a run-first team, and Flowers will help the Rams accomplish that.

It's true that guard and center are the most desperate positions on the line, but adding a tackle still has its benefits. For one, it's an excellent insurance policy if Barksdale walks. Also, even if Barksdale is retained, either him or Flowers can make the move to right guard.

There's not too much flash with this pick, but it's a solid selection that will upgrade the offense.

Round 2: WR Dorial Green-Beckham, Oklahoma
hi-res-7cd226ad3f717c460017fb236eb73402_crop_north.jpg

David J. Phillip/Associated Press

I recently suggested that St. Louis should consider looking at receivers other than Dorial Green-Beckham in the first round. Having said that, if DGB somehow slips to the Rams in Round 2, it'd be a hard opportunity to pass by.

Green-Beckham had a decent but unspectacular combine showing. He finished with 13 reps on the bench and a 4.49-second 40-yard dash, but those numbers aren't exactly jaw-dropping—certainly not enough to overlook his off-field concerns.

With the heat surrounding Josh Gordon, along with the NFL's 2014 domestic abuse embarrassment, it wouldn't be shocking if teams avoided Green-Beckham completely in Round 1.

If that happens, he's certainly worth a second-round gamble. He's a truly elite athlete, and his potential is unmatched by any receiver in this class. If he pans out, it would give the St. Louis offense the Calvin Johnson-type receiver every team searches for.

Obviously, a lot will depend on how DGB conducts himself in the interview room. If there are still major concerns, then he's simply not worth the headache.

Round 3: G Laken Tomlinson, Duke
hi-res-645049bc72cf57223ba0faa8b11d858d_crop_north.jpg

Julio Cortez/Associated Press

Laken Tomlinson's draft stock continues to climb. If the Rams are lucky enough to have him fall in their laps in Round 3, it'd be wise to jump at the chance.

Tomlinson is a high-character player who dominated the combine. He put up 25 reps on the bench and had a respectable 5.22 40-yard dash time. Additionally, he's an excellent commodity on the field. There's not a guard in the draft who pass-protects better than Tomlinson.

If the Rams can somehow snag a high-end starting guard like Tomlinson in Round 3, it would easily be the team's best pick of the draft.

Round 5: QB Bryce Petty, Baylor
hi-res-2a2ea2af310bcfcf43f1ab3fbf7711a3_crop_north.jpg

Julio Cortez/Associated Press

As of now, it's extremely difficult to determine where the 2015 quarterbacks will land in the draft. There's a four-way race—Brett Hundley, Sean Mannion, Garrett Grayson, Bryce Petty—to be the No. 3 quarterback of the class, and there's no predicting how it will unfold.

One of those four quarterbacks will likely drop to Day 3. It might take trading into the fourth round to grab him, but it's hard to say. It's perfectly reasonable to believe that a mid-level quarterback prospect, like Petty, will be available in Round 5.

Petty lacks elite arm strength but still has a nice touch on his deep balls. He's also a nice scrambler and knows how to escape defenders and move out of the pocket.

It's doubtful that Petty will be useful to the Rams in 2015, but he could eventually turn into something special if properly developed.

Round 7: LB Curtis Grant, Ohio State
hi-res-3eab5bc57728daf19ab58f4f779c4060_crop_north.jpg

Jay LaPrete/Associated Press

As of now, the Rams own the final pick of the 2015 draft. That will likely change once the compensatory picks are awarded, but for now, Mr. Irrelevant will be a Ram.

It's foolish to think the Rams or any team can find a solid starter at the end of the draft. So why not search for a backup at a valuable position?

James Laurinaitis has not missed a single start in his six NFL seasons. Eventually, that streak will end, and the Rams must be prepared.

Ohio State's Curtis Grant is a nice developmental project at middle linebacker. Not to mention, Laurinaitis would be thrilled to have a fellow Buckeye as his backup.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Tomlinson is literally the only player I even like in this draft. Thank fucking fate that Bleacher Report doesn't actually pick for our team.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Tomlinson is literally the only player I even like in this draft. Thank freaking fate that Bleacher Report doesn't actually pick for our team.

I am with you but I don't have much of an issue with a 5th round flyer on Petty.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I am with you but I don't have much of an issue with a 5th round flyer on Petty.

Over a third offensive lineman, cornerback, and power running back? I have a huge problem with that, especially since I don't believe that any quarterback aside from Mariota and Winston are going to actually be in the NFL as quarterbacks five years from now.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Over a third offensive lineman, cornerback, and power running back? I have a huge problem with that, especially since I don't believe that any quarterback aside from Mariota and Winston are going to actually be in the NFL as quarterbacks five years from now.

5th rounders rarely pan out anyway, so Im ok rolling the dice on a QB. I with you on the QB's and quite frankly Winston is on the only one worth anything IMO.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I like most of the players. However, 10th overall is too high for Flowers.... I would take him with a trade down to the 16 - 20 range.

Tomlinson would be awesome, but I don't think he lasts past the 2nd round. Also Petty, no way he lasts until the 5th round.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Something about DGB that screams Mike Williams (USC) to me, not sure what to think here

Memento

Name
Jemma
Something about DGB that screams Mike Williams (USC) to me, not sure what to think here

DGB isn't Williams. He's never had problems with his weight or work ethic on the practice field. But off the field? No way in hell would I ever take yet another chance on him.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
I like most of the players. However, 10th overall is too high for Flowers.... I would take him with a trade down to the 16 - 20 range.

Tomlinson would be awesome, but I don't think he lasts past the 2nd round. Also Petty, no way he lasts until the 5th round.

Agree with that. Petty will be gone by the third at least.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I don't know.... I think Flowers may turn out to be best Left Tackle in this draft class. Tomlinson will be a quality guard in this league. .... but no way Petty last til 5th round...and may be 3rd Quarterback off of board. Beckam is a high risk high reward pick..... I personally wouldn't mind if we went o-line back to back rounds 1 and 2...... something like 1.Flowers 2. Kyouanjio or 1. Scherff 2. Fisher........something like that then maybe Petty in 3rd if he lasts.

Go Rams...........;)

Memento

Name
Jemma
I don't know.... I think Flowers may turn out to be best Left Tackle in this draft class. Tomlinson will be a quality guard in this league. .... but no way Petty last til 5th round...and may be 3rd Quarterback off of board. Beckam is a high risk high reward pick..... I personally wouldn't mind if we went o-line back to back rounds 1 and 2...... something like 1.Flowers 2. Kyouanjio or 1. Scherff 2. Fisher........something like that then maybe Petty in 3rd if he lasts.

Go Rams...........;)

Flowers is not a left tackle. Not even close. Not even a right tackle. He gets murdered by anyone with speed and quickness. Absolutely no awareness and fundamentals. Even more raw than Robinson was coming out, except less of a gifted athlete.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LiEjIjIZ64

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nplHgcD558E

I did come away very impressed with Kaaya, Miami's freshman quarterback. Kid looks like a gamer already. John Feliciano was also quite good in those tapes.

But Flowers? My opinion hasn't changed on him. Even at the Combine, where he supposedly impressed people, he got killed by speed rushers. Just simply has very poor lateral movement. Good run-blocking guard at the next level, but he's not in the top 32 on my board.

As for Petty, back issues and a gimmick offense hold him back. Kouandjio is a round 3 prospect; a very talented one, but I worry about durability. Cann/Erving would be much better options. Fisher is purely ZBS at the next level. Not a bad prospect at all, but he shouldn't be on our board.

I agree on Tomlinson.

rams56

Name
Steve
Flowers is not a left tackle. Not even close. Not even a right tackle. He gets murdered by anyone with speed and quickness. Absolutely no awareness and fundamentals. Even more raw than Robinson was coming out, except less of a gifted athlete.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LiEjIjIZ64

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nplHgcD558E

I did come away very impressed with Kaaya, Miami's freshman quarterback. Kid looks like a gamer already. John Feliciano was also quite good in those tapes.

But Flowers? My opinion hasn't changed on him. Even at the Combine, where he supposedly impressed people, he got killed by speed rushers. Just simply has very poor lateral movement. Good run-blocking guard at the next level, but he's not in the top 32 on my board.

As for Petty, back issues and a gimmick offense hold him back. Kouandjio is a round 3 prospect; a very talented one, but I worry about durability. Cann/Erving would be much better options. Fisher is purely ZBS at the next level. Not a bad prospect at all, but he shouldn't be on our board.

I agree on Tomlinson.

Yeah.... we will have to agree to disagree. After watching your two films that you posted I think only confirms my thoughts on Flowers..... but because Robinson already is our left tackle he would be our right. And I believe very good one . I believe his awareness is there that he always blocks the most inside rusher as all linemen are taught.... that in both films you showed he was only stressed once by a speed rusher and he recovered to push the blitzing corner past the qb. I think as an athlete he is solid. I do not care about Petty's back injury (1 time) or his offense he ran in collage in the third round.And I think Kouandjio is a 2nd round talent...... that's just me and you are entitled to your own opinion. ..... ;)

Go Rams........... ;)

Memento

Name
Jemma
Yeah.... we will have to agree to disagree. After watching your two films that you posted I think only confirms my thoughts on Flowers..... but because Robinson already is our left tackle he would be our right. And I believe very good one . I believe his awareness is there that he always blocks the most inside rusher as all linemen are taught.... that in both films you showed he was only stressed once by a speed rusher and he recovered to push the blitzing corner past the qb. I think as an athlete he is solid. I do not care about Petty's back injury (1 time) or his offense he ran in collage in the third round.And I think Kouandjio is a 2nd round talent...... that's just me and you are entitled to your own opinion. ..... ;)

Go Rams........... ;)

No awareness. Watch the South Carolina game, the first running back screen. Flowers races down the field like a chicken with its head cut off, not blocking anyone because he just doesn't know where anyone on the field is. In the FSU game, the pocket collapses on Kaaya several times because of pressure by Mario Edwards Jr. or when Jalen Ramsey simply beats Flowers to the edge or the last play where Flowers doesn't peel off of Edwards - who's already blocked by Feliciano - to take Ramsey, who has a clean shot at Kaaya. He literally cost Miami that game on the last play in the video because it was fourth-and-long after that play.

Someone will take a guy like Flowers highly in the first round, plug him in at left tackle, and they will regret it for the entire time he's signed.

rams56

Name
Steve
No awareness. Watch the South Carolina game, the first running back screen. Flowers races down the field like a chicken with its head cut off, not blocking anyone because he just doesn't know where anyone on the field is. In the FSU game, the pocket collapses on Kaaya several times because of pressure by Mario Edwards Jr. or when Jalen Ramsey simply beats Flowers to the edge or the last play where Flowers doesn't peel off of Edwards - who's already blocked by Feliciano - to take Ramsey, who has a clean shot at Kaaya. He literally cost Miami that game on the last play in the video because it was fourth-and-long after that play.

Someone will take a guy like Flowers highly in the first round, plug him in at left tackle, and they will regret it for the entire time he's signed.

I completely disagree with your interpretation of the film you presented as well as your projection of this player...... so we will see.

Go Rams......... ;)

Memento

Name
Jemma
I completely disagree with your interpretation of the film you presented as well as your projection of this player...... so we will see.

Go Rams......... ;)

True. I've been wrong before on my fair share of players. I've also been right. Flowers is rated highly for a reason, and I think he actually does have the potential to be a great left guard. But like you said, we will see.