Blake Williams Vs Tim Walten

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ramaslama

How many more games do you thank we would have won last year if we kept blake? The defense looked so much better in 2012 than 2013 walten coached team. I say we would have won 3 more. thought?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'm not even sure Blake was making all the calls on defense. wasn't Fisher heavily involved that year?
I could be wrong.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
That can't really be answered, but at the beginning of last year, our defense looked really really bad. And I would have to blame that on Walton.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
IMO, I think it may not have been necessarily Walton's defense, but more of a "sophomore" slump. Fisher could have stepped in, at any point last year, and taken control of the defense. I think he had more influence towards the end of the season, but the season was all but over when Sam went down. I also think in Fisher's first year, and the success with a really young defense gave a false impression they would be that much better in year two. Having Williams this year will bring an intensity and focus taking this defense to the next level. I really hope so because this defense could be very scary for the division and the rest of the league. I see the defense putting us in a position to win close games, early in the season, until the offense gets comfortable and Sam gets back to form. By mid-season, barring any setbacks, this team will be ready to breakout.

Debacled

Starter
The defense really didn't look any better at all under Williams in 2012. Dunno what season you are remembering.

I remember the 10 yard cushion being a problem in 2012 as well. Know what the big differences were? We had a healthy (for the most part) Finnegan and a man by the name of Quintin Mikell at S. Essentially the defenses were pretty similar, the pass D was a little worse and the Run D a little better. They did allow more passing TDs and the YPA was nearly a yard higher, but overall they were pretty similar.

Penalties were a bigger issue this past season as well. Surrendered 47 first downs via penalty compared to 23 in 2012

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm not giving Fisher a pass with either defense.

First; he picked the coordinators.

Second; defense is his specialty.

He's the HC. If that cushion was a problem for him he could have made it go away. He didn't. So, I'm not tossing Walton completely under the bus.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I guess in the end it's not hard to understand what went on here. After Bounty-gate it was obvious Fisher was disappointed in what happen to Gregg Williams. At that point of the season Fisher tabbed Blake as the Defacto Defensive Coordinator because he knew his father's defense well.

I had high hopes for Blake a Princeton Grad, however, a couple of things went awry. Blake treated the other assistants like they were beneath him. Ivy league guys do that naturally, however, in this case Blake alienated the others and you don't do that to people like DL Coach Mike Wauffle and Assistant Head Coach Dave McGinnis under Fisher's watch. Also there was the Minnesota game where Blake had a very bad game coordinating as the Rams got burned several times by the Vikings running the football.

So Fisher decided to cut bait for continuity and go in another direction as he took a Pontius Pilot approach with Gregg Williams not bringing him back and not renewing his son who was on a one year deal. Thus enter Tim Walton who Fisher felt would be a better fit problem was that Walton's defensive approach was more zone coverage and that scheme did not align with the likes of Jenkins and Johnson.

I was one who posted several times about the change and if the Rams would miss Blake Williams and was assured they would not, but I will give Blake Williams kudos because he sure had the 49ers confused and their fans scared. Maybe Blake Williams should understand that part of the responsibility of an assistant coach especially a coordinator is to get the other assistants on board, but IMO Blake was too young to understand that aspect.