Blake Bortles?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
I am NOT trying to be PESSIMISTIC but just asking a question! With both Goff AND Wolford nursing pretty serious injuries how do you feel about Blake Bortles taking over the Rams QB position IF Goff and Wolford have to miss playing time for the Rams remaining game(s!)? Green Bay (IF, That is where the Rams are going next week) would be a BRUTAL place to play for any QB much less a QB with the injuries that both Goff and Wolford both currently have! I certainly hope Goff and/or Wolford will be able to play throughout the rest of the Rams playoff games but if not I personally feel like Bortles while not the best QB in the NFL he probably is a pretty good 3rd string QB to have on your team and would at least give the Rams an experienced QB and with the Rams DEFENSE he would give the Rams a fighting chance!

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I thought we had to sign him yet? lolol JK.. But yeah, I don't mind him, but we'd might be Ground Chuck tho.. lol

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Just saw Jarod's presser. He is fine with his thumb. He'll be ready to go if John Wolford isn't, we have Blake as a backup.

I have no problem with any three of them playing for us.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Bortles has to play, I think we can manage. But I expect Goff, at minimum, to be good enough to play next week. Hopefully, he'll be much closer to 100%. Wolford, hopefully, will be good to go too.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff didn't suffer any setbacks today and should be good for next weekend. If Wolf only had a stinger, he could be there as well. If neither plays, who s the backup to Bortles?

GBRam15

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
GBRam15
If Blake Bortles winds up starting next week, I'll be doing my best Zac Stacy Impersonation - "Yikes."

dang

Legend
It’s clear the Rams are going to plan on riding the defense to victory these playoffs. They need a QB that can move the ball/eat the clock, take care of the football and hand off the ball to our RBs.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
With the #1 defense in the NFL, we can win if we score 21 and don’t commit turnovers.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
It’s clear the Rams are going to plan on riding the defense to victory these playoffs.

Yup. As good as the defense is I am not sure it is good enough to win a championship without a better offense. They aren't the 1985 Bears, 2000 Ravens, or probably not even 2015 Broncos. They sort of remind me of last year's 49ers defense. A really good defense but not a juggernaut. They looked like those defenses today but I want to see them perform this well against a great offense which Seattle is not.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unless Goff's thumb suffers a relapse, I dont see how he's not starting next game, regardless of Wolford's condition.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Unless Goff's thumb suffers a relapse, I dont see how he's not starting next game, regardless of Wolford's condition.

I dunno. Just because Goff toughed it out doesn't mean he's where he needs to be. Goff did have significant issues holding onto the ball. He missed on some throws that he makes every day in his sleep. On several throws, the thumb didn't hold up and the ball came out of his hand as he was throwing it.

I would say that unless the thumb improves, Goff will still be backing up Wolford, ESPECIALLY because of the weather.

And I'm okay with that.

These playoffs are important, but so is the rest of Goff's career with the Rams.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I dunno. Just because Goff toughed it out doesn't mean he's where he needs to be. Goff did have significant issues holding onto the ball. He missed on some throws that he makes every day in his sleep. On several throws, the thumb didn't hold up and the ball came out of his hand as he was throwing it.

I would say that unless the thumb improves, Goff will still be backing up Wolford, ESPECIALLY because of the weather.

And I'm okay with that.

These playoffs are important, but so is the rest of Goff's career with the Rams.
3 pins in thumb for Goff? It'll take him a while to heal if never.. Just saying..

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Bortles didn't seem particularly good at getting through reads in this offense so for myself I hope we don't have to go with him. He also isn't particularly accurate so I think them signing him was only as worst case scenario.

If Wolford's injury was a stinger I imagine he'll be ready to go. Goff's thumb will for sure be stronger but I actually hope they start Goff on the bench in this game for a couple reasons. The first being I don't want him to reinjure it then lose him for the remainder of the playoffs (I think we can beat Green Bay with both QBs). The other reason being he's available if Wolford doesn't play well.

Also and lastly starting Goff when his thumb isn't what it should be in what will probably be a cold environment with a hard pigskin... That isn't doing the kid any favors. What it's doing is setting the stage for the backup to come in and give you a lift which is the wrong way to play it IMO.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I sort of saw Brees in a new light yesterday... he’s not the same. Does Tasom Hill seriously offer more at times? Even tho I dispise Hill.

Got me thinking the parallels to the Goff/Wolford situation.

Goff needs some healing time. Doesn’t look the same... but argument made the safer play, in some ways.

Wolford is the riskier play, sort of like Tasom Hill, with some legs. Even if their overall game is not the same.

How does McVay solve this riddle?

TexasRam

Legend
I sort of saw Brees in a new light yesterday... he’s not the same. Does Tasom Hill seriously offer more at times? Even tho I dispise Hill.

Got me thinking the parallels to the Goff/Wolford situation.

Goff needs some healing time. Doesn’t look the same... but argument made the safer play, in some ways.

Wolford is the riskier play, sort of like Tasom Hill, with some legs. Even if their overall game is not the same.

How does McVay solve this riddle?
Start Akers at QB who played QB in high school? Actually that is my play if Goff and Wolford go down. Does anyone trust Bortles to have a TD free game? I would rather run it all game.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I am NOT trying to be PESSIMISTIC but just asking a question! With both Goff AND Wolford nursing pretty serious injuries how do you feel about Blake Bortles taking over the Rams QB position IF Goff and Wolford have to miss playing time for the Rams remaining game(s!)? Green Bay (IF, That is where the Rams are going next week) would be a BRUTAL place to play for any QB much less a QB with the injuries that both Goff and Wolford both currently have! I certainly hope Goff and/or Wolford will be able to play throughout the rest of the Rams playoff games but if not I personally feel like Bortles while not the best QB in the NFL he probably is a pretty good 3rd string QB to have on your team and would at least give the Rams an experienced QB and with the Rams DEFENSE he would give the Rams a fighting chance!

McVays thinking as well.I’m also sure if Wolford can’t go having Bortles on the sideline for Jared Goff will help.
What Bortles meant to The Rams QB room last season helped both QB’s as well.He knows them both well & is a solid Veteran QB with Big Time Playoff Experience.
—Bortles being with Perkins as well adds to the QB room.The Scary(lol) thing is if The Rams QB don’t mask like Denver.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Instead of continuing my post I’ll just ask another question.

What happens if Wolford & Goff happen to be on the game day roster,but get banged up really quick
in the game?

-concerns -
Present injuries
Game conditions

Is it worth carrying 3 QB’s or what is the next option if not?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay basically said they are likely going to have a 3rd QB active on Saturday, cant see how they can try without.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

And I'm okay with that.

I hope this isnt going to be another week long "who's gonna start at QB" debate, I am 100% behind whatever McVay decides.
I have 2 thoughts on Wolford,
1) He got injured on a designed QB run. Will he be gun shy when he plays again? Will they limit the designed runs?
2) Seattle had tape to review, and is prepared for a running QB thanks to RW. With Green Bay being a more traditional offense, wont they be less prepared to face a QB who can take off and run?