Blackmon does all the right things to warrant ‘best’ label

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
NFL.com Staff | Michael Irvin
http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/02/26/irvin-b ... est-label/

[flv]http://video.nfl.com/films/s2012/nfl-total-access/combine/120226_nfln_combine_wr_wrap_up_700k.mp4[/flv]

Editor’s note: Michael Irvin, a Hall of Fame receiver and NFL Network analyst, watched all the wide receivers work out Sunday at the NFL Scouting Combine and shares his thoughts.

INDIANAPOLIS — I know this much after watching Justin Blackmon work out Sunday at the NFL Scouting Combine: He’s clearly the top receiver in this year’s draft class.

Blackmon didn’t run the 40-yard dash, and I don’t need a 40 time to make me believe he’s the best. He’s clearly one of the most polished route runners out there, even with a bad hamstring.

You know how I know? Because it doesn’t matter what type of route it is, for the first 10 yards, he does a great job of running it the same. You want the first 10 yards to look the same every time so you don’t tip off the DB. That takes good body control, which Blackmon has.

I’ll say this: As good of a QB as Sam Bradford is, Blackmon will make him better. The Rams need to do everything to make sure they draft him.

The other big name who was solid, but not spectacular, was Michael Floyd. His 4.47-second 40-yard dash shows how fast he can be, but he just needs to improve a bit coming in and out of his cuts.

Whoever takes Floyd should make sure to work with him, polish him up and use him in a Marques Colston-type of role.

And I have to give some props to Stephen Hill. He made himself some money today. A 4.36 in the 40, and he didn’t look bad at all in drills.

When you get somebody as big as Hill at 6-foot-4 and 215 pounds, and as fast as him, it doesn’t matter that he comes from that weird option offense at Georgia Tech, where they hardly pass. He’ll get drafted specifically to blow the top off defenses.

– Michael Irvin