Bills sign ex-Rams FB Sam Rogers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.buffalorumblings.com/20...-rogers-signed-as-new-backup-2018-zach-olstad

By John Boccacino

usa_today_10053420.0.jpg

The Buffalo Bills have made a change at the backup fullback position, inking Sam Rogers to a contract, according to head coach Sean McDermott. Rogers, who was waived by the Los Angeles Rams in May, will serve as the primary backup to veteran starter Patrick DiMarco.

Rogers was selected by the Rams with the 22nd pick of the sixth round (pick No. 206 overall) of the 2017 NFL Draft out of Virginia Tech. After initially being cut by the team in September, Rogers spent his rookie season on the Rams’ practice squad.

The team signed Rogers to take over the backup fullback role after Zach Olstad was waived/injured because of an ankle injury. He was injured Monday.

Olstad was an undrafted rookie free agent out of Winona State, where he was a former walk-on. The Bills signed Olstad in May after he impressed during a tryout at rookie minicamp. He was the only player among the 30 who auditioned for the Bills to earn a contract.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I'm glad to see him get another opportunity. He's a hard worker, who plays the game with passion. His limited abilities just didn't mesh well with McVay's vision for the team. Hopefully he gets at least a few good years of playing in the NFL.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm glad to see him get another opportunity. He's a hard worker, who plays the game with passion. His limited abilities just didn't mesh well with McVay's vision for the team. Hopefully he gets at least a few good years of playing in the NFL.

In all honesty I have never been overly impressed of the constant overachiever that is the first one out of the locker room maybe because that was always me. I look at the individual as a whole and what they can bring to the Rams and IMHO when the Rams made the pick I was disappointed. A position in the NFL that's like a newspaper, it's becoming obsolete.

Rogers was short, hands were pedestrian and was not actually fast or quick. His blocking was solid, but at times he got blown up because of size. Overall I just didn't see anything special as to why the Rams could not have signed him as an UDRFA.

I wish him well, but I predict Sam Rogers will be one hell of a football coach someday.

Last edited:

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
F572F9CD-A931-4296-8A1C-4E54BE5FBDBD.jpeg

I wish Sam the best in Buffalo! He was nice enough to stop and talk with us last year at camp. Hard worker. Hopefully he finds a role.

Psycho_X

Legend
The one pick the last two years I didn't really understand at all but it was a 6th rounder so not a huge deal. Should have been a udfa though. I thought maybe he could be an ok FB/good special teams player at least. Good luck to him in Buffalo.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The one pick the last two years I didn't really understand at all but it was a 6th rounder so not a huge deal. Should have been a udfa though. I thought maybe he could be an ok FB/good special teams player at least. Good luck to him in Buffalo.

Yeah, the fullback position seems mostly obsolete. The rare times you need a fullback nowadays you are likely best off using the third TE instead - short distance yardage clearing space for the RB, blocker in the backfield for pass protection, and the occasional pass-catching misdirect. There are too many issues with the roster size to justify a dedicated FB for the half dozen times a season you might need one for something else.

The Rams last season (and this season, for that matter) were rebuilding the roster for different systems on offense and defense, so using a 6th for an obsolete position seems bizarre. I'm sure there was a best-case scenario where Rogers would have been brilliantly used, but filling other holes would have been a better use of resources.

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Good luck to Rogers in Buffalo.