Beyond Gurley, Rams rely on undrafted RB's

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/rams-719823-running-yards.html

Todd Gurley’s voice was cracking.

Fourteen months ago, he stood in Chicago’s Auditorium Theatre as the Rams’ pick at No. 10 overall — the highest-drafted running back in three years. He had recovered from a torn ACL, from a NCAA suspension, and emotions gripped him. In that moment, he had climbed a mountain.

That Gurley was a first-round pick at all speaks to his obvious talent, hype he backed up by totaling the third-most rushing yards in the NFL last season. A week ago, he posted a picture of himself in front of the Hollywood sign, along with the caption, “Love Life.” As the Rams re-root in Los Angeles, he has become their most marketable face, one who only needs to utter eight words in a Carl’s Jr. commercial.

“We all give him a hard time,” said Chase Reynolds.

Reynolds has carved a tougher path to the NFL — that of the undrafted free agent. Curiously, it’s a journey that almost the entire non-Gurley depth chart has taken.

The only other drafted running back on the roster is Tre Mason, who has been absent from all of offseason workouts after his March arrest on drug and traffic charges. Coach Jeff Fisher said during OTAs this month that the Rams have to “prepare ourselves that Tre’s not going to be here.”

Take out the former third-round pick, and here’s who the Rams are working with: Benny Cunningham, a capable kick returner whom they signed out of Middle Tennessee State in 2013; Reynolds, a Montana product who initially signed with the Seahawks in 2011 before joining the Rams that summer; Malcolm Brown and Aaron Green, who went undrafted out of Texas and TCU, respectively, last year and this year.

A draft-day pedigree is hardly a prerequisite for successful running backs. Mike Shanahan has a long history of plugging players into his zone-read blocking scheme, most recently coaxing 1,613 yards and 13 touchdowns out of Alfred Morris in 2012. In Houston, Arian Foster totaled 6,309 rushing yards and 53 touchdowns over six seasons, making four Pro Bowls along the way. And in Seattle, Thomas Rawls is set to succeed Marshawn Lynch after chipping in 830 yards as a rookie.

And while the Rams have a bonafide star in Gurley, they still need their reserves to contribute. Cunningham, who was careful to note that he prepares himself like a starter, attributes his success in part finding his niche. After a torn patella tendon sank his draft stock, he found a spot with the Rams, one of just two teams to attend his pro day. He has yet to clear 300 rushing yards in a season, but has turned his past 60 kickoff returns into 1,677 yards.

“It’s kind of finding your role on the team,” Cunningham said. “Whether it be a third-down back, whether it be special teams — finding your role and being the best you can. I kind of understand what I’m expected to do here.”

Running backs coach Skip Peete added: “You target guys that you feel like have the qualities and abilities that fit the system.”

Reynolds has made himself valuable too, re-signing with the Rams this past offseason despite zero career carries. He has stuck around in the pros by virtue of his work in kick and punt return coverage. Even as younger players push him for his spot, he doesn’t shy away from lending them a hand.

“We’ve all been in that spot,” Reynolds said. “We’ve all been that guy who comes in. It’s a hard world to come into and be a part of. We all do a good job of getting around, lifting a guy up and helping him out. ‘Hey, ask me questions, I’ll let you know anytime.’ I mean, you’re almost grooming him to take your job.”

When it comes to identifying and signing undrafted running backs, Rams general manager Les Snead noted two key points. If the player doesn’t have speed — one of the most common reasons for lowered draft stock — you look for vision. And if he’s fast? You have to figure out whether he has a flaw “that may be too fatal.” Hit the right balance often enough, and it sometimes becomes easier to convince new free agents to sign on.

That the Rams are relying on so many once-unheralded names could, on one hand, be seen as an uncomfortable position. But could it also indicate a successful scouting strategy?

“Maybe,” Snead said. “Time will tell, right

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I really can't believe Green went I drafted.

This kid is exciting to watch.

SierraRam

Recreational User
A draft-day pedigree is hardly a prerequisite for successful running backs.

This is proven every year by at least one 'unknown, undrafted' RB who has a great season. What they also have in common is a relatively healthy, cohesive offensive line.

Gurley succeeds either way, but if our OL comes together, (AND WE'RE DUE) we'll have multiple effective backs.

..........And a first round bye!
upload_2016-6-19_9-39-15.jpeg

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
How long is Chase Reynolds going to hold down a roster spot totally on special teams play?

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
How long is Chase Reynolds going to hold down a roster spot totally on special teams play?
I think he must have plenty of value to Fisher beyond his ST play alone. I don't know if he makes the best spaghetti or lives in JFs pool house and takes care of the lawn..... whatever it is, his impact on the field doesn't warrant a roster spot considering how good this staff is at finding and coaching good STers. His impact on the team, off the field, must be somewhat significant to the HC.
...Or maybe Chase Reynolds is just a really cool guy to go fly fishing with...

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Reynolds is supposed to be a backup RB. Has he ever carried the ball in a regular game?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Don't think that was the plan to go with UDFA's after Todd Gurley is mentioned. Tre Mason's made several decisions to go down the path of decline of a NFL RB without the Ram Org being involved. Mason might reappear @ some time if the current RB bubble cadre sprout a few leaks.

Guess I look @ this RB cadre a lot different than most. I see the Rams as having two top 10 draft picks available to run the ball. Todd Gurley & Tavon Austin are as dynamic as any there are in the NFL. So when the NFL sport writers want to exclude Tavon:snicker:.....I just :heh:. Most want TA used deep & wide down on the field...I like it better if TA is used as if he was creamery butter spread all over on a hot roll just out of the oven.

Benny Cunningham IMO looks like he was a high 3rd rd pick much better than a Tre Mason. Benny is loved by most all of his teammates & is a special person off the football field too. You can bet when Benny is given the opportunity with the ball in his small hands that the OL will block every bit as hard for Benny as they do for Todd or TA. Benny is a wonderful 3rd down back & he fits his role perfectly. Those 3 amigos are as good as you will find in the NFL & I am sure we will see this come into full view for the rest of the blinded/twisted NFL sports writers while the write from the back benches.

As far as the rest of these five Rams RB's...
Chase Reynolds
Aaron Green
Malcolm Brown
Zack Laskey
Terrence McGee

Its going to be real fun watching them in TC & pre season find their role in this 2016 Ram roster.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Reynolds has some compromising photos of Snisher is all I can figure.

fancents86

Starter
Not worried, Bam Bam can take over where Mason may leave an opening.

Maybe Stacey needs a job and has a change of heart?