Best TE's in Ram's History, and how Jared Cook fits in

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow....If you want to know how a troll-like fan might arise, spend some time looking at the futility of the Rams in St Louis since the 1995 season. There was GSOT, but by and large, it's a wonder we have a fan base at al... :shock:
Anyway, examined each season's leading TE since 1995, and here is the top 5 seasons:
1) 2012 TE Lance Kendricks......519 yards (4 TD's)
2) 2001 TE Ernie Conwell..........459 yards (4 TD's)
3) 1995 TE Troy Drayton...........458 yards (4 TD's)
4) 2002 TE Ernie Conwell..........449 yards (2 TD's)
5) 2007 TE Randy McMichael... 429 yards (3 TD's)

Now, here is our new TE Jared Cook's NFL History as a Titan:
2009 TE Jared Cook...........74 yards (0 TD) VinceYoung -1879 yards
2010 TE Jared Cook...........361 yards (1 TD)* Kerry Collins -1823 yards
2011 TE Jared Cook...........759 yards (3 TD's)* Hasselback -3571 yards
2012 TE Jared Cook...........523 yards (4 TD's)*Jake Locker -2176 yards
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's been said by many, that Jared Cook is a tweener (TE/WR), and was misused in Tennessee. He doesn't block well, but is 6ft 5in, and is freaky fast for that height. It's been rumored that he will be in the slot, here in St Louis, while Lance Kendricks will have the blocking duties more often. Kendricks is the yardage leader in 2012 for any TE in St Louis Rams history, with 519 yards and 4 TD's. This tells me that Jeff Fisher is a coach that likes to use Tight Ends in his Offense, which bodes well for Jared Cook's 2013 Season with the Rams.
In Jared Cooks 2011 season with Matt Hasselback's 3,571 yards passing, Cook caught for 759 yards and 3 TD's..again, this is with him being used as a standard TE.
Sam Bradford passed for 3,702 yards in 2012, with SJAX as the main feature weapon. this was a season where Chris Givens was the leading WR with only 710 yards as a rookie (not bad).
In 2013, A new Spread Offense will be unveiled:
TE Jared Cook
TE Lance Kendricks
WR Chris Givens
WR Tavon Austin
WR Brian Quick
WR Bailey
WR Austin Pettis

The Ram's Offense will be MUCH faster, which I don't know (but suspect) will mean they will be better. With Jared Cook being used as more of a WR than a TE, I expect him to receive for more than a 1,000 yards and will become the best TE in Ram's History. I am reposting this from the PD Website, since not many seemed to care there...I wonder why I go there as much as I do...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Actually it's Schottenheimer that likes to use TE's, and it's becoming increasingly evident that they're trying to build the offense around what Bradford can do well. He had a lot of success with Gresham and Broyles, so it makes sense to get him another big TE target (two, now) and a shifty fast receiver to rack up some YAC. We've all heard the rumors regarding Cook and how he'll be used, but I don't think we know the whole story yet. Some of the things he does well, Pettis does better, and some other things Tavon will be able to do better. I think he'll be a seam target, and a good one. Someone who will clear out a zone and let the underneath stuff develop for guys like Tavon and Lance.

I know our TE numbers have been shitty for a while, but that's all about to change I think.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
LoyalRam but probably not from St. Louis:
Wow....If you want to know how a troll-like fan might arise, spend some time looking at the futility of the Rams in St Louis since the 1995 season. There was GSOT, but by and large, it's a wonder we have a fan base at al... :shock:

You wouldn't ask that question if you'd spent 30 years rooting for the Big Red. :lol:

I'm excited about what they might be capable of that's for sure.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
Actually it's Schottenheimer that likes to use TE's, and it's becoming increasingly evident that they're trying to build the offense around what Bradford can do well. He had a lot of success with Gresham and Broyles, so it makes sense to get him another big TE target (two, now) and a shifty fast receiver to rack up some YAC. We've all heard the rumors regarding Cook and how he'll be used, but I don't think we know the whole story yet. Some of the things he does well, Pettis does better, and some other things Tavon will be able to do better. I think he'll be a seam target, and a good one. Someone who will clear out a zone and let the underneath stuff develop for guys like Tavon and Lance.

I know our TE numbers have been cruddy for a while, but that's all about to change I think.

I don't doubt you, but I think Fisher was the driving force to get Cook, since he drafted him in Tennessee. I didn't say it in the story, but I am excited about Kendricks as well. Both TE's are veterans, and should help move the offense at times, if the rookies are having troubles...I am excited to have actual TE weapons, instead of the Joe Kloppfenstein's that we seemed tp pick, constantly

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
albefree69 said:
LoyalRam but probably not from St. Louis:

You wouldn't ask that questioned if you'd spent 30 years rooting for the Big Red. :lol:

I'm excited about what they might be capable of that's for sure.

So true...... :yeh:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
LoyalRam said:
X said:

I know our TE numbers have been cruddy for a while, but that's all about to change I think.

I don't doubt you, but I think Fisher was the driving force to get Cook, since he drafted him in Tennessee. I didn't say it in the story, but I am excited about Kendricks as well. Both TE's are veterans, and should help move the offense at times, if the rookies are having troubles...I am excited to have actual TE weapons, instead of the Joe Kloppfenstein's that we seemed tp pick, constantly
Hey! What do you have against Klopfenstein, Dominique Byrd, Jerome Collins, Fendi Onobun, and Brandon Manumaleuna? :grr:

jap

Legend
The best receiving TE I ever saw for the Rams was sure-handed Pete Holohan who played from 1988-1990. At a time that included the high flying Flipper Anderson and Rams great, Henry Ellard, Pete was considered the guy with the softest hands. It became commonplace to see him corral acrobatic one-handers. Pete's numbers over that time frame were:

Year Rec Yards Avg. TDs

1988 | 59 | 640 | 10.8 | 3
1989 | 51 | 510 | 10.0 | 2
1990 | 49 | 475 | _9.7 | 2

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
X said:
LoyalRam said:
X said:

Hey! What do you have against Klopfenstein, Dominique Byrd, Jerome Collins, Fendi Onobun, and Brandon Manumaleuna? :grr:

Speaking of Joe & Co.......Here's the complete listing

TE Troy Drayton.......458 yards (4TD's)
TE Ernie Conwell......164 yards (0 TD's).
TE Ernie Conwell......404 yards (4 TD's)
TE Roland Williams.....144 yards (1 TD).
TE Roland Williams.....226 yards (6 TD's)
TE Roland Williams.....102 yards (3 TD's)
TE Ernie Conwell.......459 yards (4 TD's)
TE Ernie Conwell.......449 yards (2 TD's).
TE Brandon Manumaleuna. 253 yards (2 TD's)
TE Brandon Manumaleuna. 174 yards (1 TD)
TE Brandon Manumaleuna. 131 yards (1 TD)
TE Joe Klopfenstein.... 226 yards (1 TD)
TE Randy McMichael..... 429 yards (3 TD's)
TE Randy McMichael..... 139 yards (0 TD)
TE Randy McMichael..... 332 yards (1 TD)
TE Daniel Fells.........391 yards (2 TD's)
TE Lance Kendricks......344 yards (0 TD)
TE Lance Kendricks......519 yards (4 TD's)

How much money did we pay Joe Klopfenstein? :twisted:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
jap said:
The best receiving TE I ever saw for the Rams was sure-handed Pete Holohan who played from 1988-1990. Petes numbers over that time frame were:

Year Rec Yards Avg. TDs

1988 | 59 | 640 | 10.8 | 3
1989 | 51 | 510 | 10.0 | 2
1990 | 49 | 475 | _9.7 | 2

I was pretty busy in my life back then..I honestly don't remember this guy, which is sad for me....My OP was more about St Louis Rams history

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Imagine this.

Your defense wasn't able to make any substitutions because the Rams are running the hurry up.

Bradford is in the shot gun, he has a RB to his right and Austin lined up wide and Cook lined up in the slot, and Quick on the right with Bailey or Pettis in the slot. Then Austin and Pettis/Bailey motion to the other sides and basically switch spots. Now there is trouble for the defense.

Hard to defend because if the safety comes up in support there is a lot of space on the back end for one guy to help the DBs with and a lot of serious speed in front of you to stop. If you go with a nickel you still have to commit a LB to one of the 4 and that's a mismatch to begin with and leaves that side open to getting gashed by a big run. If you are in dime it's a handoff for a big gain.

BS has a lot of chess pieces on the board.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LesBaker said:
Imagine this.

Your defense wasn't able to make any substitutions because the Rams are running the hurry up.

Bradford is in the shot gun, he has a RB to his right and Austin lined up wide and Cook lined up in the slot, and Quick on the right with Bailey or Pettis in the slot. Then Austin and Pettis/Bailey motion to the other sides and basically switch spots. Now there is trouble for the defense.

Hard to defend because if the safety comes up in support there is a lot of space on the back end for one guy to help the DBs with and a lot of serious speed in front of you to stop. If you go with a nickel you still have to commit a LB to one of the 4 and that's a mismatch to begin with and leaves that side open to getting gashed by a big run. If you are in dime it's a handoff for a big gain.

You ARE a savant....I was lost after "Imagine this.." :yeh:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
LoyalRam said:
LesBaker said:
Imagine this.

Nah just a fan who is hoping that the QB and OC can come up with ways to get the ball into the end zone.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LesBaker said:
LoyalRam said:
LesBaker said:
Imagine this.

Nah just a fan who is hoping that the QB and OC can come up with ways to get the ball into the end zone.

I just think that Cook is a huge piece of the puzzle. When I speak to other fans, especially a fan from the ESPN NFC West Blog, who was dogging cook, and said that he was just average. I pressed him, since he said that he watched a lot of Titan's games. It boiled down to that he is not a great blocker, which is a part of the job a traditional TE should so well. I then asked the guy to consider a wicked fast 6ft 5in guy, operating more like a WR in ths slot. It's been reported from Softli, I think, that he is getting seperation from Safeties and CB's in OTA's. He responded with, "What are you going to with Austin?" I told him they would be lining Austin, EVERYWHERE......I don't think outside world, knows how we will use Cook...

No pads yet, but it's something to wonder about until camp...

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
Yea the franchise has not had a great pass catching TE.

Randy McMichael was supposed to be the 50-70 catch TE for us. I was very happy when we signed him back in 2007, thought he was one of the better TEs (catcher AND blocker) in Miami. He did work hard and try the best he can here in STL but he was such an underachiever for us. Uncharacteristic drops too often and injuries. He knows he just never performed as well as he was expected too as well, I heard him say that on record in the past.

Kendricks and Cook have a great chance to take lead in the franchise. I like to key on Kendricks more so because if you can not block in line than you are not a real TE (The great Tony Gonzales said that btw). Guys like J.Cook are just a receiver. ...Thats no pun, it just is what it is. But that dont really matter in terms of history and stats because Cook will be listed as a TE anyway...But just my opinion when looking at the specific position.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
biggame1190 said:
Yea the franchise has not had a great pass catching TE.

Randy McMichael was supposed to be the 50-70 catch TE for us. I was very happy when we signed him back in 2007, thought he was one of the better TEs (catcher AND blocker) in Miami. He did work hard and try the best he can here in STL but he was such an underachiever for us. Uncharacteristic drops too often and injuries. He knows he just never performed as well as he was expected too as well, I heard him say that on record in the past.

Kendricks and Cook have a great chance to take lead in the franchise. I like to key on Kendricks more so because I define because if you can not block in line than you are not a real TE (The great Tony Gonzales said that btw). Guys like J.Cook are just a receiver. ...Thats no pun, it just is what it is. But that dont really matter in terms of history and stats because Cook will be listed as a TE anyway...But just my opinion when looking at the specific position.

I agree that Cook could be defined as a WR, and I would have no problem with that. He's 6ft 5in, 248 lbs..The closest Wr is Brian Quick at 6ft 3in, 220 lbs. Cook sounds like a WR, but the dude is big!. So besides the blocking aspect, what differences are there between TE and WR's?