Best Rooster Cogburn and Mattie Ross

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Best team of Cogburn and Ross

• Total voters

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm watching the new one-eyed fat man, Rooster Cogburn in True Grit. We know who -X- is picking because fans of the Dude will abide. It's harder than I ever thought it would be in in choosing between Jeff Bridges and John Wayne. I actually think writing/language used by the characters is better than the original True Grit. I also wonder which Mattie Ross of Yell County played by Hailee Steinfeld is better than Kim Darby? So lets vote on the best team of Cogburn and Ross!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
God help me, I went into making this poll believing that no one beats the Duke. After considering the newest True Grit, I went with Jeff Bridges after all.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Having never seen the movies I have no dog in this fight. I therefore voted for the Boefs, whatever they are.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I’ll be damn... it was Kim Darby that inspired Justin Bieber’s hair style a few years back... :D

002392.jpg

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Jeff Bridges was just so much better than John Wayne.

John Wayne is one of those actors, imho, who the more I watch him, the less I like him. I mean, I don't dislike him, but he gets away with his acting because he's John Wayne and he's John Wayne in everything. I dunno if it's even acting.

Jeff Bridges, otoh, was amazing, nuanced and was both relatable and mysterious at the same time.

To me, the only contest is between Kim Darby and Hailee Steinfeld. That's a lot closer, but I think Kim Darby did a better job over all. Hailee Steinfeld just seemed miscast. Where Kim Darby showed pluck and True Grit (roll credits), Hailee Steinfeld seemed to me to be on the whiny and impetuous side. Her performance, imho, wasn't bad, but it wasn't better than Kim Darby's.

I say miscast because a young woman CAN be that strong, resilient lead. Case in point: Winter's Bone with Jennifer Lawrence. Holy Cow was she amazing in that. One of the best performances I'd seen in movies in a really long time...by anyone.

Jeff Bridges was just so much better (and I actually like John Wayne in this better than any other of his films) that they win, imho.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Jeff Bridges was just so much better ...

John Wayne is one of those actors, imho, who the more I watch him, the less I like him. I mean, I don't dislike him, but he gets away with his acting because he's John Wayne and he's John Wayne in everything. I dunno if it's even acting.

Jeff Bridges was just so much better (and I actually like John Wayne in this better than any other of his films) that they win, imho.

Ive gotta disagree with most of this, but I am a Wayne fan.

True Grit might be a legacy Oscar, but all anyone should do is watch Red River, The Searchers, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon and The Quiet Man to know that he played more than just Himself.

Big vote for the Duke

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Ive gotta disagree with most of this, but I am a Wayne fan.

True Grit might be a legacy Oscar, but all anyone should do is watch Red River, The Searchers, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon and The Quiet Man to know that he played more than just Himself.

Big vote for the Duke

no worries, man. To each their own. I like guys who can disappear into the role...think Gary Oldman... dude’s a chameleon. Even Tom Hanks.

Whereas Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise in every movie (with the possible exception of Tropic Thunder) and I say that as a massive fan of his movies. NO ONE gives action movie fans more bang for the buck than Cruise. Keanu Reeves is a close second, but the drop off is Steep after that. And no, Jason Statham is not in the convo...

Anyway, True Grit is by far my fave Duke movie... I just appreciated the subtleties Bridges brought more. To each their own and cheers to us appreciating different things!