Best Predator film

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Best film in the Predator franchise?

• Predator

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Prey

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other (I’d love to hear your reasoning)

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
Let’s be honest: everything in between was shite.

And that includes all the AVP nonsense.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Predator 2. Why? For many reasons.

Firstly, it's because the characters were more realistic than in the first Predator (where you had a bunch of hulked up special forces fighting a foe beyond any of them. Predator 2 dropped that, focused on a more human element than just mere fights. They focused on L.A. during a gang war between Columbian cartels and the Jamaican's who obviously want a part of the cut for their own purposes (and I fucking loved King Willie. Such an underrated character; the fact that the Predator took his skull showed that he fought bravely and without a gun.), the civilians caught in the middle, and understaffed police trying desperately to keep law and order, led by a fantastic performance by Danny Glover as Detective Harrigan, and other awesome performances by Bill Paxton, Ruben Blades, and Maria Cochita-Alonso as his team.

Already could be a good film for a cop scenario, but then the Predator shows up, takes a special interest in Harrigan from the jump because Harrigan, being the observant detective he is (that part's definitely underrated; you can't outmuscle the Yautja with force, you have to outthink them, which is also pretty damn hard, and why Prey worked so well.) He investigates, tries to figure out what's going on, before Gary Busey's character tries to make him back off. Harrigan doesn't. He figures out a giant web of conspiracy, that Busey is not there to stop the drugs, but for the mysterious figure.

Without much sleep, watching as Archuleta (Blades) and Lambert (Paxton) die, he unravels everything, sees Busey and his fake-DEA buddies (possibly CIA) get pulverized because they couldn't outthink the Predator. Harrigan manages to put up a desperate fight through the city for the Yautja, who almost nukes L.A. before Harrigan figured out how to disarm the bomb. A brutal fight ensues, and Harrigan kills the Predator with its own disc.

And then, that's the best part of the movie: the other Yautja showing up, and instead of killing Harrigan, the leader gives him an antique flintlock pistol (used in Prey, actually, which was an excellent callback), the Xenomorph skull hinting that they hunt the Aliens as well as many other races for sport, to gain honor in doing so or die honorably trying. It gives them more than just a slasher film that cuts through various living beings. And the Predator sparing Cochita-Alonso's character because she was pregnant, sparing the child as it realized the "gun" he held was fake...it showed honor, which basically turned everything on its head.

I agree that AVPs were abominations, that Predators was awful. But Predator 2 gave the first hints of something more than just "alien hunts human for sport", gave the Yautja their own personalities, their own culture, their own character. And it gave the humans fighting it and the regular people caught in the middle personality as well (except the paparazzi guy, fuck him).

That's why I consider Predator 2 the best of the Predator films, and a very underappreciated work of art with solid performances by the actors to give the movie so much more life than the first or any before Prey, and Prey just loses out.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Firstly, it's because the characters were more realistic than in the first Predator (where you had a bunch of hulked up special forces fighting a foe beyond any of them. Predator 2 dropped that, focused on a more human element than just mere fights. They focused on L.A. during a gang war between Columbian cartels and the Jamaican's who obviously want a part of the cut for their own purposes (and I fucking loved King Willie. Such an underrated character; the fact that the Predator took his skull showed that he fought bravely and without a gun.), the civilians caught in the middle, and understaffed police trying desperately to keep law and order, led by a fantastic performance by Danny Glover as Detective Harrigan, and other awesome performances by Bill Paxton, Ruben Blades, and Maria Cochita-Alonso as his team.

Already could be a good film for a cop scenario, but then the Predator shows up, takes a special interest in Harrigan from the jump because Harrigan, being the observant detective he is (that part's definitely underrated; you can't outmuscle the Yautja with force, you have to outthink them, which is also pretty damn hard, and why Prey worked so well.) He investigates, tries to figure out what's going on, before Gary Busey's character tries to make him back off. Harrigan doesn't. He figures out a giant web of conspiracy, that Busey is not there to stop the drugs, but for the mysterious figure.

Without much sleep, watching as Archuleta (Blades) and Lambert (Paxton) die, he unravels everything, sees Busey and his fake-DEA buddies (possibly CIA) get pulverized because they couldn't outthink the Predator. Harrigan manages to put up a desperate fight through the city for the Yautja, who almost nukes L.A. before Harrigan figured out how to disarm the bomb. A brutal fight ensues, and Harrigan kills the Predator with its own disc.

And then, that's the best part of the movie: the other Yautja showing up, and instead of killing Harrigan, the leader gives him an antique flintlock pistol (used in Prey, actually, which was an excellent callback), the Xenomorph skull hinting that they hunt the Aliens as well as many other races for sport, to gain honor in doing so or die honorably trying. It gives them more than just a slasher film that cuts through various living beings. And the Predator sparing Cochita-Alonso's character because she was pregnant, sparing the child as it realized the "gun" he held was fake...it showed honor, which basically turned everything on its head.

I agree that AVPs were abominations, that Predators was awful. But Predator 2 gave the first hints of something more than just "alien hunts human for sport", gave the Yautja their own personalities, their own culture, their own character. And it gave the humans fighting it and the regular people caught in the middle personality as well (except the paparazzi guy, fuck him).

That's why I consider Predator 2 the best of the Predator films, and a very underappreciated work of art with solid performances by the actors to give the movie so much more life than the first or any before Prey, and Prey just loses out.
I love to see someone give their reasoning. Can’t fault your effort.

Sadly, though, I simply cannot agree with you in this case.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I love to see someone give their reasoning. Can’t fault your effort.

Sadly, though, I simply cannot agree with you in this case.

Can you give a proper rebuttal to my reasoning? Just asking. :D

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't have time to bleed! Jesse the body Loyal

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Best ? as in , which one I liked the best ?

that would be

1) Preditor ( the original )
2) Preditor II
3) Prey

and the rest are brining up the rear , seemed liked I liked them all OK , but , if you were to show me a clip from one those other films , I wouldn't be able to tell you which one it came from

Preditor ( the original ) made the most sence , the Preditor would want to test his skills against some one who would be a challage , hence the Army Commandos , or what every they were

same with Prey , Native Indian Warriors

Preditor II didn't make as much sense , other then they didn't want to copy the original , so they brought it to the concrete jungle , yea I know there was a "war" going on with the druggies

but.......

anyways , Preditor II was really good over all as well, Danny Glover was excellent in it

I wish they would make another time piece movie like Prey , maybe go back to Vikings time

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcgRaf38uCQ

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
Prey was so awesome. Gotta watch it again.

But nothing beats the OG. Just a classic

Tano

Legend
Classic lines from Arnie

Stick Around, Get to the Choppa, You are one ugly mother f.........