Best of the Beasts: Robinson vs. Matthews

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
No way that they are 'equal' in pass blocking, now. Did I misread something? Sometimes, like in the case of Eugene Monroe vs Jason Smith you have to side with the "A-" guy.

I will take the guarenteed A- guyover the future A+ guy
, which may never happen! If Robinson would play guard, he is Larry Allen (HOF) quality. If they knew Robinson would be a HOF guard, then I am ok with him at #2---knowing there is no guarentee of LT success for him

I want to trade JOe Barksdale for a #2---or sign him for 5 years; but for Barksdale to be a back up this year doens't do anything, unless someone gets hurt--I konw that is why we need depth. But, Barksdale, if he was physical in the run game is a pro bowler. He has more skill than most any RT. He is just lazy., or not intense. I think this is a new thread (on Barks)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's a lot of things you can say for Robinson. A lot of good things. But calling him as good of a pass blocker as Jake Matthews at this point in time is laughably absurd. You already took into account his "physical tools and potential" with the physical attributes section. Robinson as good as Matthews is currently in pass pro...I think this video sums it up:

FRO

Legend
The whole pass blocking even thing shows that the writer chose not to be objective. Scouts inc had Robinson rated as a better pass blocker than Matthews, which I find more absurd than this article. I feel like I can get Matthews stronger much easier than I can get Robinson up to speed as a LT. Shouldn't a high pick be a guy you can basically plug and play? Are you willing to take a project, and yes Robinson is a project, in the top 10? I understand every prospect will need work, but Robinson requires more than most top 10 guys.

jap

Legend
Coach Bou has seen both players at their respective pro days and at individual workouts with the Horns. I trust his opinion over everyone else's on how far both candidates project talent-wise. If he sees Greg as the best candidate for the Rams with all short-term & long-term considerations evaluated, Greg is the choice. Ditto for Jake. I rather see the guy who has converted marginal NFL players to solid blockers and good players to All Pro talents make the call.

Alan

Legend
jjab360 extrapolating:
I don't see why some people seem to think "limited" = "none".
Who among us fellow RODites think that? Give me names and I'll send them a fruitcake. That'll take care of the problem. :cautious: :)

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
All the stuff I've read and heard about these two seems to value Robinson's upside and potential ceiling over Matthews' high "floor" and him being the safer choice. There's also the physical aspects that Robinson has which, in my view, get over-valued as compared to actual game film and performance in college (this is true of all positions).

Like many have said already, give me the option which is more likely to be productive for the next decade and which is more of a known. That appears to be Matthews. Fisher thinks he can play guard too; he's said as much fairly recently.

By the way, I am flip-flopping on this big time. I've always been an o line guy but a few weeks back I was in favour of Robinson and now I've changed my mind.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
The last time the Rams took "potential" over polish on the OL.... Well, yeah. I am not saying Robinson isn't already better than JSmooth, but this team should be dealing in absolutes at this point. Matthews is closer in that regard I think. Grab him and lets go.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
The last time the Rams took "potential" over polish on the OL.... Well, yeah. I am not saying Robinson isn't already better than JSmooth, but this team should be dealing in absolutes at this point. Matthews is closer in that regard I think. Grab him and lets go.

Yet I get the impression that those "in the know" (i.e the media) always seem to value potential over polish and I don't understand that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
And me, and a few others I'd imagine. I don't think he's as far off as you imagine. Idk, what everyone "knows to be true" either. At this point we're all speculating.

No not really. It is more than speculation. It is called evaluation. Sure nobody knows if Robinson will be a good enough pass protector in the future to justify a top five pick. Maybe he was only primarily coached to run block. BUT, based on what we know at this moment he is not a good pass protector and is nowhere near as accomplished in pass Pro as Matthews.

Watch clips of both Robinson and Matthews yourself, listen to Cossell and Tucker (Former NFL lineman) evaluate him. Read all of the evals. Usually when there is an overwhelming consensus about what we have all seen, it is right.

And, the author gives Matthews the edge in Pedigree, and Robinson the edge in Run Blocking and physical attributes and calls pass protection even. So if that is the case then according to him Robinson is clearly the better OLT prospect. But he contradicts himself by saying that Matthews is better right now. So his evals don't add up because the rest is based on SPECULATION about his ability to develop, which is not a known quantity by fans. Maybe the NFL Oline coaches like Boudreau can discern that after working him out but some biased blogger really has no idea. So the piece is a bunch of baloney.