Best and worst signings of 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Austin is explosive, but even he'll tell you he's not fast. The fastest player on the team I believe is Britt. I don't think Austin could beat Tyreek in a foot race.
I still think he's mis-used, but until the Rams have a better OL there's not one offensive player on this team that'll be worth what they're paid. Both Austin and Gurley are often met in the backfield on their runs. Shame.

No, Austin is pretty god damn fast. Much faster than Britt.

Even if he's not quite on Tyreek's level as far as speed goes (and the 40 times say he is, give or take a hundredth of a second) he's pretty damn close, and at that point you can outrun anyone in a foot race regardless. He's got more than enough speed, his problem is not that he's not as fast as Tyreek.

FRO

Legend
--agree because The Rams could have signed Jenkins for $12 million. What happens to Tru ??

-- Tavon Austin is an explosive player though .
Austin is a below average WR that can make big plays every now and again. To me his lack of consistency negates his big play ability. It was a bad signing and I would rather pay both Jenkins and Johnson, guys who have played well at their positions, than Austin a guy who just isn't a good WR. The Rams are paying Austin like a number 1 WR, not a wildcard playmaker type.

…..

Legend
JMHO, But, I strongly disagree with this^ entire statement!! It was the right decision to make considering the Teams expectations at the beginning of the year! AND I believe there would have been a Huge Market for Tavon as a FA!!

Except that there was no market because he was under contract.

So basically what you are saying is that it is smart business to spend valuable cap on "expectations"?

You're also saying that the Rams didnt fuck themselves by setting the market rate so high for such low production.

You're saying you strongly dissagree with the author making perfect sense in his assessment of the Tavon Austin situation?

Wow.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Except that there was no market because he was under contract.

So basically what you are saying is that it is smart business to spend valuable cap on "expectations"?

You're also saying that the Rams didnt freak themselves by setting the market rate so high for such low production.

You're saying you strongly dissagree with the author making perfect sense in his assessment of the Tavon Austin situation?

Wow.
YES! At the time of the signing of the contract it made perfect sense!! And paying Players on "EXPECTATIONS" is done all the time!!
What Tavon's situation is at this point has absolutely nothing to do with the reasoning for signing him to a contract extension at that time!

FRO

Legend
YES! At the time of the signing of the contract it made perfect sense!! And paying Players on "EXPECTATIONS" is done all the time!!
What Tavon's situation is at this point has absolutely nothing to do with the reasoning for signing him to a contract extension at that time!
Paying Austin big time money he has never been close to earning was a big mistake. He is the 13th highest paid receiver in the league making more than Antonio Brown. He has never shown that he should make that kind of money. It's like the team learned nothing from the Foles fiasco.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Austin's contract drops to a more palatable average of 9.0MM the final 4 years... with the last of the guaranteed money paid 2017.

The Rams did a good job front loading the deal and if he doesn't show more consistent production in 2017 the Rams have the ability to move on easily.

I personally think Austin is a core player on offense, with Goff and Gurley and have no problem with the deal keeping that core together into the new offense. Then see where he's at. All 3 could surprise.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Paying Austin big time money he has never been close to earning was a big mistake. He is the 13th highest paid receiver in the league making more than Antonio Brown. He has never shown that he should make that kind of money. It's like the team learned nothing from the Foles fiasco.
Go to my post "Eight Crazy Plays" , currently on page 1 of Rams Talk, and look at the videos posted by @-X- today in that thread! Then you'll see why the team felt he was worth the Contract!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Austin is a below average WR that can make big plays every now and again. To me his lack of consistency negates his big play ability. It was a bad signing and I would rather pay both Jenkins and Johnson, guys who have played well at their positions, than Austin a guy who just isn't a good WR. The Rams are paying Austin like a number 1 WR, not a wildcard playmaker type.

Agree -- to add how bad it was to trade up to get him as well. Then to draft Greg Robinson at #2 overall.

The best picks were trading back & getting Ogletree & getting lucky to get Aaron Donald After messing up with GRob !!
Fisher trades up to get Mo Williams & got lucky to get a CB like EJ Gaines.

---Why take a risk at The DE Mizzu because of his sexual orgin instead of taking a guy like Collins from LSU who was a huge position of need. He would be starting over GRob at LT ?? for what a 7th rd pick ?

Adding depth by unsigned rookie FA's is not how you build a team year in & year out. Being the youngest team in the NFL 5 years in a row.
Keeping practice squad guys from a 2-14 team as your veterans in both centers & Chase Reynolds. Then keeping Rhaney around. Just real poor depth.

Now 4-11 after 5 freaking years is no fun. Then not having a number one pick as well. Just real bad coaching & player evaluation.

We could on this board pick have done a better job building this team as a group.

----My thing has always been about trading back & trusting your board.There is always so many great steals in the 2nd & 3rd rds. Adding picks for years to come & control the board. There is always desperate teams.
-- Walsh,Parcells, & BCheat did an excellent job at it.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Coty Sensabaugh deserves an honorable mention
He'd be tops on my list for Rams signings.
I believe his contract was for over 6 million this year. Money they should have added to Jenkins contract and retained him.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Agree -- to add how bad it was to trade up to get him as well. Then to draft Greg Robinson at #2 overall.

The best picks were trading back & getting Ogletree & getting lucky to get Aaron Donald After messing up with GRob !!
Fisher trades up to get Mo Williams & got lucky to get a CB like EJ Gaines.

---Why take a risk at The DE Mizzu because of his sexual orgin instead of taking a guy like Collins from LSU who was a huge position of need. He would be starting over GRob at LT ?? for what a 7th rd pick ?

Adding depth by unsigned rookie FA's is not how you build a team year in & year out. Being the youngest team in the NFL 5 years in a row.
Keeping practice squad guys from a 2-14 team as your veterans in both centers & Chase Reynolds. Then keeping Rhaney around. Just real poor depth.

Now 4-11 after 5 freaking years is no fun. Then not having a number one pick as well. Just real bad coaching & player evaluation.

We could on this board pick have done a better job building this team as a group.

----My thing has always been about trading back & trusting your board.There is always so many great steals in the 2nd & 3rd rds. Adding picks for years to come & control the board. There is always desperate teams.
-- Walsh,Parcells, & BCheat did an excellent job at it.

We told La'el Collins we were taking him. His agent replied that if we did, he wouldn't play for us. He was bluffing, but at that point Collins really wanted to be an UDFA so he could get a 3 year contract and get big money sooner if he played well. So we passed.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
We told La'el Collins we were taking him. His agent replied that if we did, he wouldn't play for us. He was bluffing, but at that point Collins really wanted to be an UDFA so he could get a 3 year contract and get big money sooner if he played well. So we passed.

It's worth the risk z. Instead Ram fans had to go through that M. Sam thing . Which at the time DE was a total strength .

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
It's worth the risk z. Instead Ram fans had to go through that M. Sam thing . Which at the time DE was a total strength .

Different drafts, by the way. Sam was 2014, Collins was 2015.

I agree it's worth the risk, but no team wants to either draft a murderer, or draft a guy who had no intention of playing for you. When you waste picks like that and get bad PR for it, you usually get fired.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny

I agree it's worth the risk, but no team wants to either draft a murderer, or draft a guy who had no intention of playing for you. When you waste picks like that and get bad PR for it, you usually get fired.
Please, you're putting holes in the whole front office incompetence thing.

Soon we'll have no choice but to revisit Donnie Avery vs. DeSean Jackson.
:deadhorse:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Thanks -- totally my bad. -- The Rams had enough info , but Brice Hager was a nice draft pick..
I guess the wasted pick was the wr out of Mizzu who had a bad knee( not D. Alexander)