Bernie's Super Bytes: Faulk, Warner Discuss State Of The Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

Super Bytes: Faulk, Warner discuss state of the Rams
• Bernie Miklasz

[www.stltoday.com]

NEWARK N.J. • The curtain dropped on “The Greatest Show on Turf” a long time ago, but running back Marshall Faulk and quarterback Kurt Warner are still teammates, working for the NFL Network.

During Super Bowl Media Day at the Prudential Center in Newark, the retired Rams' greats were asked about the state of the franchise under coach Jeff Fisher and GM Les Snead.

Both were optimistic, but Faulk isn't sure about the Rams' decision to stick with quarterback Sam Bradford. Faulk stopped short of recommending that the Rams draft a quarterback early, but that option is clearly on his mind.

“They have a tough decision to make with the second overall (draft) pick,” Faulk said. “I've heard them say that Sam Bradford is their future, and that's a tough one. You've got a guy who's been injured, and it's a tough decision to have to make.

“I'm glad I don't have to make it.”

Are the Rams making the right decision in staying committed to Bradford?

“We won't know until draft day,” Faulk said.

Here's my interpretation of what Faulk is saying here: the Rams are publicly supportive of Bradford, but their true feelings will be revealed during the draft. If they don't take a QB early, it means the Rams are fully committed to Bradford. But if they do grab a quarterback early, then Bradford's future isn't nearly as clear.

Otherwise, Faulk is upbeat on the Rams. “They're in a great position,” he said. “With a lot of youth.”

Warner praised Fisher for changing the culture at Rams Park.

“I like where the Rams are,” Warner said. “I think Coach Fisher has done a great job of building something there. Building an attitude there. Now it's just a matter of continuing to build on that. Continuing to place players there that can help them go to the next level.”

Warner likes the Rams defense, but wants to see more points from the offense. He identifies that offense as the team's key area going forward.

“We've seen what their defense is over the last two years, and how successful they've been,” Warner said. “Now it's about their offense catching up. Whether that's Sam coming into his own as a quarterback, or whether that's placing the right pieces around him and allowing those young players to grow up.

“But I like what they're doing. I think the NFC West is going to be a battle for years to come with all four teams. Because they're all competitive, they all play really good defense right now, and now it's going to be the teams that stay ahead of the curve offensively that will win that division.”

And Warner is correct; the Rams have improved offensively but are still trying to catch up to Seattle, San Francisco and Arizona.

In 2011 — offensive points only — the Rams scored 193 in 16 games for an average of 12.1 points per game. That ranked last (32nd) in the NFL.

In Fisher's first season the Rams offense scored 299 points, averaging 18.7 per game. That ranked 25th.

During their 2013 season the Rams offense scored 348 points, averaging 21.8 points per game. That ranked 21st in the league.

Seattle (26.1), San Francisco (25.4) and Arizona (23.7) all averaged more points on offense per game.

But the Rams defense was also ranked fourth among NFC West teams in offensive points allowed in 2013.

The Rams allowed 327 offensive points, which was tied for 13th overall in the NFL rankings. Seattle allowed the fewest points (217) by an NFL defense, followed by San Francisco (270 points, No. 3) and Arizona (315 points, tied for No. 8).

Thanks for reading...

— Bernie

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Dear Bernie: new topic please.

I get that STL Today wants to stir shit up to sell advertisement, but how many articles does he need to write saying the same stuff over and over. He's like a scratched record right now.
:deadhorse:

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dear Bernie: new topic please.

I get that STL Today wants to stir shyte up to sell advertisement, but how many articles does he need to write saying the same stuff over and over. He's like a scratched record right now.
:deadhorse:
And he's a question for ol Bernard, Why not ask Warner what he thinks of Sam?!?!

You can't teach stupid I guess.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Man, it's really hard to believe that Demoff doesn't praise the PD and it's hired help much more than he does.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's my interpretation of what Faulk is saying here: the Rams are publicly supportive of Bradford, but their true feelings will be revealed during the draft. If they don't take a QB early, it means the Rams are fully committed to Bradford. But if they do grab a quarterback early, then Bradford's future isn't nearly as clear.

well, duhhhhhhh!!!! thank you mr fucking obvious.

what is doughboy gonna say when the rams don't select a qb before the 4th round?

whatever he says it's gonna be from both sides of his mouth. after he finishes his twinkie.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I have very little respect for Bernie ,never have had , in fact I regard as a badge of honor that I intimated such and it resulted in him banning me from that wasteland DURING the Linehan era.
I polish the badge routinely, someday I may recount the events of that fortuitous occurrence in my posting career.
IPOF why not now?it is a great story at least I think so:
It was the first year of Scott Linehan's ill fated tenure as Rams HC. Some of you might remember that first year Linny closed his practices to the press .
Being who he is Bernie ripped Linehan UNMERCIFULLY for the practice as he does anyone who doesn't give him the access he desires.
I had jousted with BM a few times over his obsession with the practice and relentless dogging of the new coach for that.
When the Rams began the season 4-1 with practices closed to the press I started a thread titled :

Rams Are NOW 4-1 With Practices Closed to the Press

First post:
Thought Bernie would like to know

He banned me:stirthepot:

But he didn't stop there ,he sent me e-mails calling me an asshole (as if that was EVER a question)

Of all the thin skins you encounter on the PD none is thinner than Bernie's.

Linehan relented and let Bernie into practices and the rest as they say "is history" CORRELATION ?
Who knows?:lol:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Too bad you didn't save the emails it would be fun to see them.......

Bernie is a hack, I've never thought he was any good and the Martz/Warner thing was the last straw for me. I can imagine anyone in the media doing that kind of thing and maintaining any level of respect from peers.....it says a lot about the people that cover the Rams that he did that and nobody batted an eye over it.

I've never read his message board, I cant imagine wasting my time that way.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Too bad you didn't save the emails it would be fun to see them.......

Bernie is a hack, I've never thought he was any good and the Martz/Warner thing was the last straw for me. I can imagine anyone in the media doing that kind of thing and maintaining any level of respect from peers.....it says a lot about the people that cover the Rams that he did that and nobody batted an eye over it.

I've never read his message board, I cant imagine wasting my time that way
It's sort of like a conversation with Vincent Vega might be

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I didn't do boards until the final throws of the Linehan era, and my first introduction to Bernie was the witch hunt that ensued with the infamous taking down of pictures at Rams park.

You'd think it was Kristallnacht all over again, and I couldn't understand for the life of me the outrage directed at a coach who wanted to change the culture of a losing team.

And then there was the firing of the equipment manager. :meh: Bernie is the epitome of 'slow news day?' reporting.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Bernie is the answer to "where are they now?" about this famous person

:heh::stirthepot:

Check with him every five minutes cuz nuthin is certain with Pat ..............uh Bernie

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Is Bernie on a private campaign to ditch Sam? Screw him and his bs reporting! Ahole!

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Is Bernie on a private campaign to ditch Sam? Screw him and his bs reporting! Ahole!
He admitted in one of his "articles" during the season that he didn't particularly care for Sam as a person. WTF?! Nothing like objective journalism...

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I think he's got a vendetta against anyone who doesn't treat him in a way that puffs his ego. Sam just won't kiss his arse and Bernie hates it is my take .

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I'm not going there! He shouldn't do that type of shite based on his position. Makes him look like an ahole!

Last edited by a moderator:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
So a 4 point at most differential is considered "catching up" to the other teams in the division. That seems more on par than not....

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I read the Rams byte about Williams He's got an odd twist on his hiring. As he was Fish's original hire at DC I'm not surprised he's back.I don't think Fish knew if he'd be available so he hired Walton. The son is not the father was my take on that issue!