Bernie: Rams must draft to fit coaching strengths

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Daily Bits: Rams must draft to fit coaching strengths
• BERNIE MIKLASZ

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_7531decf-a5cb-5489-bf9d-137bdd2c1478.html

Your Daily Bits for Friday March 28:

Interesting story by Jim Thomas in today's Post-Dispatch and on STLtoday.com: I'm not surprised if the Rams are disinclined to take Clemson WR Sammy Watkins with the 2nd overall draft choice.

We've covered some of this ground before, but let's hit the reset:

One, in the Jeff Fisher and Brian Schottenheimer offense, wide receiver isn't a crucial position. And we know that because wide receivers have historically put up only average numbers for Fisher-coached teams. It's a rushing offense, and a committee approach at wide receiver seems to be Fisher's preference.

Two, the Rams have selected four wide receivers in their two drafts under Fisher and GM Les Snead. Chris Givens, Brian Quick, Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey are still in various stages of development. So how many receivers can you be developing at the same time? In a related note ...

Three, this coaching staff hasn't demonstrated an ability to develop wideouts. Not to anything that even approaches an elite performance level. I hope that changes and I'll be happy to give the coaches credit if it does. You would think that one of the WRs drafted over the past two years would emerge, and they are obviously still young enough to do so. Givens and Quick will be entering their third NFL seasons in 2014; Austin and Bailey will be second-year veterans. I'm skeptical, but it's possible.

Four, that the Rams are trying to sign free-agent WR Kenny Britt — a former Titan with strong ties to Fisher — tells us all that we need to know.

Five, given the number of young receivers on the roster and a ground-oriented offense, the Rams have greater needs at offensive tackle and in the secondary.

I'm not opposed to drafting Watkins or even Texas A&M wide receiver Mike Evans (at No. 13 overall.) But this isn't about my preferences or your preferences.

This is about being pragmatic, and understanding the mindset of this coaching staff. You don't draft a player No. 2 overall if the team can't maximize his value. The Rams have a tremendous offensive line coach in Paul Boudreau. If they choose an offensive tackle at No. 2 overall, the player's chances of becoming a great tackle are enhanced because of Boudreau's presence.

And if the Rams would draft defensive end Jadeveon Clowney at No. 2 overall it would be a fit (if not exactly a priority) because of Fisher's strong history of getting excellent production out of pass rushers.

Part of a successful draft strategy is drafting to a coaching staff's strengths — and avoiding taking players that are less likely to be utilized and developed.