Bernie Plays Good Op, Bad Cop All By Himself Again!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

(Man this guy gets old as he bows at the alters of SF & Sea)

Bernie: Rams need much more than they will admit

• Bernie Miklasz

[www.stltoday.com]

At season’s end, Rams coach Jeff Fisher declared that his team was closing the gap in the NFC West. I suppose that’s a matter of interpretation.

If Fisher means that the Rams are no longer a disgrace and an abject failure — why, yes, they’re closing in on Seattle, San Francisco and Arizona.

If Fisher would have us believe that the Rams are nearing parity status with their division rivals, especially Seattle and San Francisco … well, I hope they keep the Kool-Aid tap flowing out there at Rams Park.

Watching the 49ers and Seahawks slug it out for the NFC championship served as a helpful reminder. First, the Rams’ rivals are the NFL’s two best teams. Second, the Rams’ season ended Dec. 29. And being on the couch at home is a long way from being in the NFC title bout.

I realize that it’s a general manager’s job to run misdirection plays and create subterfuge heading into free agency and the draft. But Les Snead has been taking this strategy to another level in his postseason media tour.

We all know that the Rams need to score more points and strike more frequently for big plays. One would assume that the Rams would feel some urgency to spruce up the offense again; over the past two regular seasons combined the St. Louis offense scored 182 fewer points than Seattle, and 156 points fewer than San Francisco.

Progress was made in 2013, but the Rams can’t be content to stay with what they have. They have to get some recruits to make their offense more dangerous.

Except that during his interview rounds, Snead says …

Sam Bradford is still the Rams’ dream quarterback, the Rams do not need to upgrade at wide receiver, and the offensive line will be fine.

Even though Bradford has been healthy for only 45 of his teams’ (Oklahoma and Rams) last 77 games. ...

Even though Chris Givens led their wideouts with only 569 receiving yards in 2013. ...

Even though the Rams are looking at the potential loss off free-agent guard and tackle Roger Saffold, may not have left tackle Jake Long (knee) ready for the start of the season and will probably have to revamp the interior line.

They have no major needs on offense?

Really?

Or as Ryan Van Bibber joked over at the Turf Show Times blog: “Rams not planning to draft anyone.”

Obviously the Rams require more explosiveness on offense and a plan to fill openings on the O-line. On defense the STL secondary needs restocking, and there’s a space for a starting outside linebacker opposite Alec Ogletree.

But the primary challenge still remains the same as it ever was: getting the offense up to speed.

“All three (NFC West) teams play really good defense, and we’ve got to play better offense and score more points to compete with them,” Fisher said at the end of the season.

Fisher gets it. I just don’t know what he plans to do about it.

Here are a few fun facts from the 2013 regular season ...

1. The average NFL offense scored 346 points. (This does not include points scored by the defense or via special teams.) The 12 playoff teams averaged 401 points. The Rams scored 304. Yes, Bradford missed the final nine games with a knee injury, but let’s not get carried away. The Rams dragged near the bottom of points-scored tallies when Bradford was healthy in 2012.

2. NFL teams averaged 62 big plays from scrimmage — namely, plays that gained 20-plus yards. The playoff teams averaged 67 big plays. And the Rams had 52, ranking 27th in the league.

3. NFL teams averaged 51 pass plays of 20+ yards. Playoff teams averaged 56. The Rams had 41, which ranked 29th.

4. NFL teams averaged eight big-play touchdown passes. The playoff teams averaged 10. The Rams had four.

An obvious factor was the switch to Kellen Clemens at quarterback after Bradford went down, and I do believe Tavon Austin will provide more impact as second-year wideout in 2014.

The Rams’ top need is a physically imposing wide receiver.

You know, the profile that Brian Quick was supposed to fill but hasn’t.

This is an extremely physical division, with punishing hitters roaming at linebacker and safety. The Rams need that tough third-down presence to muscle defenders and win the physical confrontations. (Think of Anquan Boldin and the 49ers.) The Rams’ current receivers are easily shoved out of their routes.

If the Rams can establish a stronger wideout to go with tight end Jared Cook in the middle of the field, it would open things up outside for the deep speed of Givens, Austin and perhaps Stedman Bailey.

Snead says the Rams don’t need a No. 1 receiver.

“I think our receivers right now, I truly believe as they progress … we cannot have another receiver around here,” he said. “And we’re going to be a good football team.”

Now there’s some optimism for you.

Another humongous Rams problem is the payroll — specifically the major disparity in quarterback salaries.

It’s not Bradford’s fault that he benefited from the old rookie-wage system that made him a very rich young man. By drafting Bradford No. 1 overall in 2010, the Rams had no choice but to pay up. The general terms of Bradford’s rookie deal were essentially locked in.

That changed in 2011, when the NFL instituted a rookie salary cap that terminated the monster contracts for drafted quarterbacks. The 49ers and Seahawks took advantage of the new wage scale and are funding the QB position at a considerably lower rate than the Rams.

The 2013 salary-cap hit for 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick was $1.4 million. Seattle’s Russell Wilson’s cap hit was $681,000. Arizona’s Carson Palmer had a cap hit of $4 million.

And Bradford? His 2013 cap hit of $12.6 million accounted for nearly 12 percent of the Rams’ 2013 salary cap.

Wait, it gets worse.

Here are the scheduled cap figures for the four starting quarterbacks in 2014:

Kaepernick, $1.6 million.

Wilson, $817,000.

Palmer $10 million.

Bradford, $17.6 million.

In case you’re wondering: In 2015, Bradford’s cap hit is set for $16.58 million.

Payroll flexibility is a huge edge for San Francisco and Seattle, which have notable players eligible for unrestricted free agency after the season.

In San Francisco, the list of potential free agents includes Boldin, safety Donte Whitner, center Jonathan Goodwin, cornerback Tarrell Brown.

Seattle’s potential free-agent list includes wideout Golden Taint, defensive end Michael Bennett, defensive tackles Tony McDaniel and Clinton McDonald, offensive tackle Breno Giacomini and guard Paul McQuistan.

Arizona’s list includes linebacker Karlos Dansby, safety Yeremiah Bell and offensive tackle Eric Winston.

If the Seahawks and 49ers were on the hook to pay their quarterbacks $17.6 million in 2014, they wouldn’t stand a chance of retaining their prime free agents — or shopping for premium free agents. But given the modest Wilson-Kaepernick salary levels, their teams have money to play with this offseason.

Again, that puts the Rams at clear financial disadvantage. The substantial payroll gap at the quarterback position makes it that much more difficult for the the Rams to close the standings gap in the NFC West.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bernie also plays the useless cop well. Just a bunch of fluff.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

Lol

Bernie has issues. I bet if Fisher and Bradford kissed his rear then we'd see a variance in opinion. If they flamed him then he'd rant in all his articles 100% of the time.

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Today its "woe is me" Bernie...give it a weak and he'll have his "revised" plan on how the Rams will rule the west next season.

Dude is unreadable, honestly.

Luckily it will be baseball season soon enough and we won't hear from Bernie until game 1 next September.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Bernie never tells me anything I don't already know.

All he does now is sensationalize the same stuff old stuff.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
FWIW there are bare minimum 15 guys who post here,maybe more who I'll read that many words from ahead of Bernie ,IOW he's paid to do what many here do better at no charge,he must have pictures ,relatives or whoever sets the PD standards is worse, regardless I got through to this:

If Fisher would have us believe that the Rams are nearing parity status with their division rivals, especially Seattle and San Francisco … well, I hope they keep the Kool-Aid tap flowing out there at Rams Park , and said,

"If I want to read that sort of drivel, I'll go to where it's in infinite supply................Ramstalk"

V3

Hall of Fame
YAY! Another Bernie bashing thread! :jerkoff:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Bernie freaks out the moment the Rams say or do anything...it's "Kneejerk" Bernie to me.

Until he writes consistently regrading Rams progress and not overanalyzing every word and twisting it one way or another, he has no merit to me. I'm sure he could care less what "Angry Ram on an internet forum" thinks, but he won't care, I won't either.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Wow... Bernie is such a tool.

The Rams don't have any major needs on offense. Heck we don't even know what we have in our young guys like Quick and Givens. When the offense finally got stability in the running game Sam went down for the year. Bernie thinks he sees the big picture but he's just blowing hot air and throwing facts around. We really aren't that far off and Snead is doing a great job of not giving anything away. He's let only one thing be known about the draft and that's we're open for business on our #2 pick. That's all anyone needs to know right now.

Sorry they won't let you in "the loop", Bernie. But the truth is when you write huffy little articles like this then you make it evelident that YOU CAN'T HANDLE "THE LOOP." Go cry somewhere you big teenage girl!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Wow.

Where did Bernie manage to dig up all this enlightening new info? His insights are amazing, only someone who has honed their skills for many years would be capable of producing a piece with this level of journalistic excellence. I was amazed at how he took such a complex set of problems and managed to present them and then solve them. He should be working in the Rams front office. Instead we're stuck with Snead.

IN HUuuuuuuuuGE BLUE FUCKING FONT BECAUSE I COULDN'T BE SARCASTIC ENOUGH.

Bernie is horrible.

Lesson

Oh, really?
I can understand the Bernie hate, but every once and awhile he'll post something worth reading.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Let me tell you. As someone who used to run a blog, it is EXCRUCIATINGLY hard to come up with new and exciting material on a daily basis. There are only so many angles to come from, and only so much new information out there. I give him his due for putting in the work, and I can't really fault him for trying to play both sides of the fence. If I had one criticism, it's that he's too easily swayed by his own emotions.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Let me tell you. As someone who used to run a blog, it is EXCRUCIATINGLY hard to come up with new and exciting material on a daily basis. There are only so many angles to come from, and only so much new information out there. I give him his due for putting in the work, and I can't really fault him for trying to play both sides of the fence. If I had one criticism, it's that he's too easily swayed by his own emotions.

I understand what your saying but were you getting a salary for your efforts? If Someone was paying you say a hundred grand a year or so I bet you would tear it up.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I understand what your saying but were you getting a salary for your efforts? If Someone was paying you say a hundred grand a year or so I bet you would tear it up.
And FWIW when X was running his blog I doubt he had quit his day job,maybe I'm off base here but the problem I have with Bernie is the problem I have with most writers /journalists of today, they are content to write re hashes rather than do the work to come up with the new stuff. TOO HARD ?heartbreak hotel my customers never wanted to hear how hard my job was ,I turn a deaf ear to how hard Bernies is, he writes every day about how others aren't equal to the task ,he needs to be equal to the task of his job as well or he's a gas bag.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
IMO Bernie uses baseball style writing for football. What I am trying to say is baseball is numbers driven whereas football is matchup driven. they don't keep stats on a guard pulling around for a block except in the final rush total so a run play could have generated six yards because of a good pull or could have gotten the same yardage because of a great cut by the back. I think sometimes Bernie gets stuck in the numbers instead of who was responsible for a given play.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Of all the people who should know about reading too much into any Snead comments right now it's an experienced broadcaster.

Snead is going to keep all options open right now. He's not going to talk about a glaring need. What do you expect?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'd be willing to test that theory.