Bernie: Defenses adjusting to Austin Davis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_2bf8d6ba-0d8f-5d66-8c7b-c258892a9981.html

The Rams beat the 49ers in large part because of the excellent strategy used by Williams, their innovative defensive coordinator.

The more that Austin Davis plays, it makes it easier for defensive coordinators to study the videos of his games in a search for weaknesses. Nothing new there. That's football. It's why coaches spend so many hours watching opponents' games. They're always looking for an edge.

For much of the season, Davis has done a lot of his damage when he scoots to his left to make throws to the left side. He's also done a good job overall when standing in the pocket and throwing to the middle.

But in recent games, we've see Rams' opponents flushing Davis to his right. And he's having some problems going that way.

That was the case again Sunday against the 49ers, when Davis completed only two of five with two interceptions when he ventured to the right to attempt a pass.

The numbers could be nothing more than randomness. Or the numbers could at least partially be the result of Rams' opponents' making adjustments by forcing Davis to go to his right. But the statistical breakdown, courtesy of Pro Football Focus, is pretty clear on this:

* On throws that go outside the right hash and to the right side, Davis has a passer rating of 61.9 this season and has averaged 6.2 yards per passing attempt. His completion rate is 62.3 percent. He has one TD and three interceptions.

* On similar throws to the left, Davis has completed 74 percent, with a passer rating of 125.4 and an excellent yards-per-attempt of 9.6 yards. The haul includes five TDs and only one interception. Austin connected with Kenny Britt for a left-side touchdown pass in a key moment of Sunday's win in Santa Clara.

* On passes to the middle Davis has completed 68 percent with five TDs and three INTs for a passer rating of 93.2. He's averaged 7.1 yards per attempt on middle throws. (The problem there has been on short stuff, between 0 and 9 yards; all three Davis INTs in the middle have come on those shorter routes.)

I don't know if it's accurate to say that the word is out, but we've seen defenses trying to get Davis to dodge to his right to escape the rush. And in the last five games he's completed less than 50 percent of his passes (11 for 23) with no touchdowns, three INTs and a meager 3.56 yards per attempt when he bails to his right side to get a throw off.

Given Davis' apparent ability to move to his left and throw, I'd expect to see the Rams to try and set up some plays for him to take advantage.

Davis has tailed off in his last two games. But fluctuations for young quarterbacks are hardly unusual. And there are some factors in play.

First, Davis has been under a lot of pressure. According to Pro Football Focus, Davis has been under pass-rush heat on 41.3 percent of his drop-backs this season. That's the third-highest rate among regular starting quarterbacks. The pass-pro struggles of right offensive tackle Joe Barksdale over the past two games has been a problem for Davis.

Second, Rams center Scott Wells is a liability in pass pro. According to PFF, he's allowed the most QB pressures (17) of any NFL center this season ... which is one way how defenses are able to flush Davis to his right.

Third, Davis doesn't have the services of wide receivers Brian Quick (injured) and Austin Pettis(released.) Davis had a passer rating above 100 when he targeted Quick and Pettis this season. But he hasn't developed much of a rhythm -- or connect for impact -- with the other wideouts.

Britt is an intriguing part of the mix. He's tall and fast and seemingly has big-play capability. And indeed he made that big play for the TD in Sunday's win over the Niners. But when Davis has targeted Britt this season, he's 18 for 34 with two TDs and three interceptions and a passer rating of 63.5. That's Davis' lowest passer rating with an individual Rams' wide receiver.

If Davis and Britt could get something going on a consistent basis, it would enhance AD's development.

So what's up with Davis and his apparent decline in play? It seems pretty normal, actually. He's a young QB who is under a lot of pressure due shaky pass protection. Defenses have found some exploitable weaknesses. His receivers aren't the greatest. Rams offensive coordinator BrianSchottenheimer has to find more ways to put Davis in a better position to make plays. Davis has gotten rattled in each of the last two games, but he's also displayed an ability to pull himself together. That's a positive sign.

Bottom line: after the first seven starts of his NFL career, AD is still a work in progress ... just as we would expect.

Alan

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Flame-retardant underwear @HometownBoy :
dfb-bxr-tan-dragonfurf_01.jpg

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
So what's up with Davis and his apparent decline in play? It seems pretty normal, actually. He's a young QB who is under a lot of pressure due shaky pass protection. Defenses have found some exploitable weaknesses. His receivers aren't the greatest. Rams offensive coordinator BrianSchottenheimer has to find more ways to put Davis in a better position to make plays. Davis has gotten rattled in each of the last two games, but he's also displayed an ability to pull himself together. That's a positive sign.

Bottom line: after the first seven starts of his NFL career, AD is still a work in progress ... just as we would expect.

OK, so blame the OC. Got it, and that's despite all the issues by the players you mentioned.

Bottom line: No shit. This is Victory Monday. Why the hell does this come out today?

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Actually not a bad article by Bernie.

There it is, I gave him credit where it was due.

Alan

Legend
Angry Ram is...wait for it...angry:
OK, so blame the OC. Got it, and that's despite all the issues by the players you mentioned.

Bottom line: No crap. This is Victory Monday. Why the hell does this come out today?
You picked out one point that doesn't really have much to do with the thrust of his article and that's what you focus on? :LOL:

I'm much more interested on all the other stuff he talked about, some of which I bolded and colorized. Nothing to say about those points?

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

HE'S UNLEASHED THE DOOR TO HELL.

RamWoodie

Legend
Davis is a work in progress and he's the best the Rams have. Folks need to lighten up. Of course teams are adjusting to the kid...but he's also learning to adjust himself.

Let the kid sit in the film room with the coaches and learn how to QB at this level. He got baited a couple of times by Bethea as obviously SF saw he will stare down WRs... but for every adjustment, there's a counter.

Davis is NOT going to replace Bradford, but face it...he's not a bad backup...and try to remember the kid is like a rookie really.

Alan

Legend
What's interesting about this article is not how Davis is playing, it's about the factors that are giving him success or keeping him from succeeding. If you concentrate on that theme you see this article in a completely different way.

How can anyone think he's bad mouthing Davis?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

Agreed. He did some research...or maybe he copied someone else's research. Either way that's some decent analysis about Davis and his tendencies,

RamBill

Legend
On today’s Breakfast with Bernie, the Post-Dispatch’s Bernie Miklasz discusses the Rams upset of the 49ers on Sunday and wonders why the Rams seem more inspired when they play tougher teams. (2:47)

Watch Bernie Talk Rams Win

Alan

Legend
Some good points in that video.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Lot's of good info and some points that I'd venture to say 99.9% of us didn't realize and could really learn from...but yeah, let's look for ways to twist Bernie's words or deem it worthless simply because it's Bernie Miklasz.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Lot's of good info and some points that I'd venture to say 99.9% of us didn't realize and could really learn from...but yeah, let's look for ways to twist Bernie's words or deem it worthless simply because it's Bernie Miklasz.
Thats because Bitter Bernie is what we get 99% of the time. Happens alot here too. Fans that bring nothing but bitter negativity ought to just take a step back or quit if that's all they got to bring to the table.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Thats because Bitter Bernie is what we get 99% of the time. Happens alot here too. Fans that bring nothing but bitter negativity ought to just take a step back or quit if that's all they got to bring to the table.
The problem is, if you look at a lot of Bernie's content...negative or positive...it usually has facts and stats in it somewhere. And in more cases than not there is a lot of butt-hurt going on about something he said that there shouldn't be...such as Angry Ram's post. As I was reading the OP I was thinking, "Well, if teams are trying to force him to the right because he hasn't had success in that direction the Rams need to do a couple things...figure out how to stop teams from forcing him to the right and/or scheme the passing game to the right in ways to make it easier on Davis." Hardly any blame that way...oh, and let's just be completely honest, what percentage of Rams fans hasn't been critical of Schottenheimer (which again, Bernies state simply wasn't blaming or being critical)?

I won't continue another Bernie debate...but I will say this, if you look at these statements and really don't see any value in the stats he offered or think he was being negative/critical...I think it says more about you as a reader than it does about him as a writer.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The problem is, if you look at a lot of Bernie's content...negative or positive...it usually has facts and stats in it somewhere. And in more cases than not there is a lot of butt-hurt going on about something he said that there shouldn't be...such as Angry Ram's post. As I was reading the OP I was thinking, "Well, if teams are trying to force him to the right because he hasn't had success in that direction the Rams need to do a couple things...figure out how to stop teams from forcing him to the right and/or scheme the passing game to the right in ways to make it easier on Davis." Hardly any blame that way...oh, and let's just be completely honest, what percentage of Rams fans hasn't been critical of Schottenheimer (which again, Bernies state simply wasn't blaming or being critical)?

I won't continue another Bernie debate...but I will say this, if you look at these statements and really don't see any value in the stats he offered or think he was being negative/critical...I think it says more about you as a reader than it does about him as a writer.
Yeah i'm gonna have to completely disagree with your opinion on Bernie's "usual" Rams related content.
If you'll read post #14 in this thread you'll see that i agree that this was a decent Bernie article written without the bitter nonsense we usually get.