Benny Cunningham to Texans?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's a reason he hasn't been signed yet - and I don't think it's that he's not wanted by the Rams. The two sides couldn't reach an agreement, so they are letting Benny see what his actual value is on the open market, knowing they can match if it's a figure they find acceptable.

In other words, this was always going to happen - Benny was going to visit other teams who might make an offer. Nothing to panic about.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol off of one tweet, with little to no substance and everyone is panicking!!

PATIENCE, brethren!!

He could just be vacationing or making a visit. I am confident we will retain him, be patient gang.
Haha it's so entertaining, it happens every year. The sky is falling omg what are going to do they're letting all our players go. We're a week into the off season and you'd think we just started out 0-8 by some of these posts.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'll wait to here This Officially, I don't like jumping to conclusions!!! But I'll be Mad if we let him get away!! I mean ....:seizure:Time!!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's a reason he hasn't been signed yet - and I don't think it's that he's not wanted by the Rams. The two sides couldn't reach an agreement, so they are letting Benny see what his actual value is on the open market, knowing they can match if it's a figure they find acceptable.

In other words, this was always going to happen - Benny was going to visit other teams who might make an offer. Nothing to panic about.
Unless they slapped a 2 round tender on him. Then they'd owe him 2.5 instead of 1.6 mill.
And of course he wouldn't be shopping his wares because nobody gonna give up a 2 rounder for him.
So the Rams are saying he isn't worth 2.5 but friggin Quick is worth 3.75.
It's amazing how loyal Fisher is to his drafted guys vs non drafts

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Unless they slapped a 2 round tender on him. Then they'd owe him 2.5 instead of 1.6 mill.
And of course he wouldn't be shopping his wares because nobody gonna give up a 2 rounder for him.
So the Rams are saying he isn't worth 2.5 but friggin Quick is worth 3.75.
It's amazing how loyal Fisher is to his drafted guys vs non drafts

Over reaction on your part (sorry for being specific). Quick is only guaranteed $1.75M, not $2.5M as you say. He can actually earn up to $3.75M with production incentives.

You (are) miss guided.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Over reaction on your part (sorry for being specific). Quick is only guaranteed $1.75M, not $2.5M as you say. He can actually earn up to $3.75M with production incentives.

You (are) miss guided.
Misguided? Umm no
Rams could have put a 2nd round tender on Bennie. Would have cost 2.5 mill and he goes nowhere.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Misguided? Umm no
Rams could have put a 2nd round tender on Bennie. Would have cost 2.5 mill and he goes nowhere.
Benny is a fan favorite and all, but ever year we draft a RB who shows promise and produces. Richardson, Mason and Stacy (left Pead out on purpose) were all good out of the gates and then never really seized the starting job for more than a few games and/or became good backups. $2.5M for Benny, or $700K for another 5th or 6th round RB? I have a feeling it'll end up being a lateral move when the dust settles.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
My prediction? Benny will be back for less than $2.5M/yr.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Benny is a fan favorite and all, but ever year we draft a RB who shows promise and produces. Richardson, Mason and Stacy (left Pead out on purpose) were all good out of the gates and then never really seized the starting job for more than a few games and/or became good backups. $2.5M for Benny, or $700K for another 5th or 6th round RB? I have a feeling it'll end up being a lateral move when the dust settles.
Your take on those other backs is spot on, but that's where Benny has been the exception. He's been consistent throughout. I think he's a fan favorite because he's been productive and reliable for more than one season. Not sure what point you're trying to make in terms of mentioning the money and drafting another back late in the draft. (?)

Losing Benny at 3 mil and drafting another RB that'll cost less and flame out after a year isn't a wash....if that's what you're trying to say. Dude.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Not sure what point you're trying to make in terms of mentioning the money and drafting another back late in the draft. (?)
Only brought it up because someone said we could have tagged him at $2.5M. But we can also sign him to the same amount when all is said and done. That said, if we don't (match), then we can sign another one late in the draft for less and he'll probably end up being just as productive, IMO. That leaves another close to $2M in cap savings to add to the pot.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Only brought it up because someone said we could have tagged him at $2.5M. But we can also sign him to the same amount when all is said and done. That said, if we don't (match), then we can sign another one late in the draft for less and he'll probably end up being just as productive, IMO. That leaves another close to $2M in cap savings to add to the pot.
Oh. Okay. Yeah, dude I don't like that scenario at all. Give me the proven guy who isn't going to break the bank. Especially with this offense. Too many question marks as it is. Hopefully this all works out.

Fuck 7 hate typing from this tablet!!

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't know why anyone would want to let a player like Benny Cunningham leave. He has a knack as a 3rd down back and gets us first downs, he can catch, block, and return kicks very well. Sign him, please!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd like to get Benny back. Good role player.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Benny is a heck of a lot more than just a back up RB, which is what the other group was. He's our 3rd down back that we've been sadly missing for years and has stabilized the kick off returns, where we also had been struggling. (#4 last year)
I liken him to a Shane Vereen who signed a 3 year 12.5 mill deal with the Giants last year. Is he worth 4+ mill per year like Vereen? Probably not, but certainly worth the "extra" 900k to reserve his services for an additional year (especially in a year with surplus cap room)

And on a different topic, If it were only as easy as drafting a RB late in the draft, then why is Benny our #2/3 back despite not being drafted? And the majority of the backs that were drafted since his arrival have all flamed out and aren't on the team any longer?
I'm not looking to break the bank on the kid, but we could have secured his services for an additional 900k AND still negotiated a longer term deal that may have resulted in a lower annual/CAP number

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think Benny is a heck of a lot more than just a back up RB, which is what the other group was. He's our 3rd down back that we've been sadly missing for years and has stabilized the kick off returns, where we also had been struggling. (#4 last year)
I liken him to a Shane Vereen who signed a 3 year 12.5 mill deal with the Giants last year. Is he worth 4+ mill per year like Vereen? Probably not, but certainly worth the "extra" 900k to reserve his services for an additional year (especially in a year with surplus cap room)

And on a different topic, If it were only as easy as drafting a RB late in the draft, then why is Benny our #2/3 back despite not being drafted? And the majority of the backs that were drafted since his arrival have all flamed out and aren't on the team any longer?
I'm not looking to break the bank on the kid, but we could have secured his services for an additional 900k AND still negotiated a longer term deal that may have resulted in a lower annual/CAP number
That's fair; but in the grand scheme of things, this doesn't really matter all that much. They might re-sign him and they might not. If they dont, we'll be fine. Plenty of RBs can do what he does, and I think we'll see exactly that if he isn't brought back. I liken this to the Thaddeus Lewis situation years back.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's fair; but in the grand scheme of things, this doesn't really matter all that much. They might re-sign him and they might not. If they dont, we'll be fine. Plenty of RBs can do what he does, and I think we'll see exactly that if he isn't brought back. I liken this to the Thaddeus Lewis situation years back.
Thaddeus Lewis didn't throw as much as 1 pass in the reg season for the Rams.
Being a fan favorite for pre-season heroism is one thing, actual production in reg season games is another.
We'll see, as you said we might get him back. I just don't know why they elected to take the risk of might not

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I just don't know why they elected to take the risk of might not
1. Because they're confident they can find a replacement.
2. Because they might be able to get him for less than the 2nd tier tag after he's done exploring options.