Benardrick McKinney?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Are there any opinions on LB Benardrick McKinney? Personally, I would prefer an elite QB, OL or WR but if all the elite players at those positions are gone would you (If, you were the Rams GM) consider drafting McKinney? To be honest, I don't know if he is a 4-3 MLB, a 4-3 OLB, a 3-4 MLB or a 3-4 OLB but from the little information I have read on him it sounds like he can play all those positions and should be able to play them all really well! And, if the stats that I read are true he is about 6'5" and approximately 252lbs and supposedly runs in the area of a 4.45 40 (IF, true - Very Freakish - In a good way!)!

fearsomefour

Legend
He is projected as a first rounder....I don't know if that is top ten or bottom ten or somewhere in between.
As usual, I would like the Rams to either address their top need (OLine) or trade down. McKinney would be an ideal sort of add if they are able to trade down....although at 10 that is probably not likely. If he falls to the second round I cold see the Rams grabbing him....more as a MLB than an OLB. He is not great in coverage and at that height you worry a little bit about him losing leverage in the running game, but, certainly a very good player who will probably get selected pretty early.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Mid 1st.
Be a decent value in a trade down.

He would be MLB for the Rams. JL would slide outside, where he should have been from day 1. garnering a few Pro Bowl berths. Not sure I would pick him, it would depend who's left on board. But he would be a beast in run D and is versatile enough to play some outside and blitz.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think that Fisher has always displayed a preference for versatility and he likes his Linebackers to be able to cover well.

I think picking up Mark Barron has put the need for another linebacker on the back burner. Barron will be on the field more and more as the Star backer that can cover short, stuff the run and mirror the running QBs.

Fisher tried to get this hybrid position when he picked up Penalty Penalty Armstrong. Then as he started to have his doubts that PP Armstrong could succeed he drafted a very raw Mo Alexander. Remember that Mo was a must have pick for Fisher. He said that if they didn't draft Mo, he would be Bobby Wagner mad. It was very important for him and he had no idea that Mark Barron would become available. So, unless a Linebacker comes up with sideline to sideline speed and coverage ability, with a great Football mind, like C.J. Mosely. He won't be drafting him and will stick with Lauranitis. When he does draft that guy it will ultimately be James replacement.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
He is an interesting prospect but seems more like a mid to late 1st at best. He is kind of a 1 trick pony as he is not good in coverage. I don't think he anticipates plays well, but does well when he only has to focus on one thing. For example, he always does well when he is shadowing a QB. Not sure he is a great fit for the Rams. He might be better suited for a 3-4 alignment.

If you are looking for a LB take a look at Shaq Thompson. He is one of my favorite prospects in this draft and if Mason gets hurt he can fill in at RB also. He might be too small to man the middle but this kid is a football player and 3 down backer. He has played DB and RB as well as LB.