Being in the same system

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
Everybody talks about the benefits of Bradford being in the same system. It does make a world of difference, but I want to focus on what it does for the coaching staff being in the second year of a system.

The coaches have a better grasp of the strengths and weaknesses of their personel. For example, look at our redzone offense before and after the bye week. They redesigned their redzone offense and the efficiency improved greatly. The staff now has a grasp in concepts that work down there. Demoff said in a chat how the offense did much better in a fast paced spread, and the coaches plan to build a lot of the offense around that. Also look at how the Rams used Mikell early in the year and how they used him in the middle and the end of the year. They discovered while in the box he is effective, but he is not effective in space and coverage. Knowing your personel and how to use them is huge.

Being in the same system allows gives the players confidence because they know the small details of the scheme and not just the surface details. The fact we aren't changing systems for both offense and defense is huge in our growth as a team.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I agree it is huge for both sides of the ball to be more familiar with the schemes. It's hard not to be excited about the upcoming seasons if you are a RAMS fan!!!

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Good for both sides that's for sure.

The problem for the Rams is that so many of our players are in their first years. Cook, Bailey, Stacy, and Austin. I hope it doesn't take too many games for the O to settle in. The D is gonna have to hold us up early.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:
Good for both sides that's for sure.

The problem for the Rams is that so many of our players are in their first years. Cook, Bailey, Stacy, and Austin. I hope it doesn't take too many games for the O to settle in. The D is gonna have to hold us up early.
Our offense hasn't really been that good anyways, so even with the adjustment period the natural talent and speed should help right away.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
FRO said:
Our offense hasn't really been that good anyways, so even with the adjustment period the natural talent and speed should help right away.

That's kinda where I am right now. The offense will likely be better out of the gate this year if for no other reason than improved skills. Having Sam and a few others know the playbook and the coaches knowing them certainly shouldn't hurt though. About mid season we may be pretty damn tough to defend.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Well I didn't pick us to finish 11-5 because of our good looks alone did I? :lol:

It's gonna be improved out of the gate just due to Sam, Kendricks, Pettis, DR, Pead and Givens yearly improvment in the same system we're talking about.

I'm not disagreeing, just cautioning against irrational exuberance. :yessir:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RamFan503 said:
FRO said:

That's kinda where I am right now. The offense will likely be better out of the gate this year if for no other reason than improved skills. Having Sam and a few others know the playbook and the coaches knowing them certainly shouldn't hurt though. About mid season we may be pretty damn tough to defend.
It's going to be a combo of all of these things. It's going to be hard to quantify the total benefit of the trickle down effect. Sure, we have some rookies on offense, but now we have guys that were in the system last year that can help those rookies with the system.

Bradford and Pettis have been, and will be, key guys in this aspect. We haven't had that on offense since Bradford came aboard.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:
Well I didn't pick us to finish 11-5 because of our good looks alone did I? :lol:

It's gonna be improved out ot the gate just due to Sam, Kendricks, Pettis, DR, Pead and Givens yearly improvment in the same system we're talking about.

I'm not disagreeing, just cautioning against irrational exuberance. :yessir:

Hey. Don't knock irrational exuberance. Until you've tried it, you'll never know the high.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
FRO said:
Knowing your personel and how to use them is huge.

This is what I love about Fisher's staff.

Granted, we have only one year of "data"... but they DID make a number of adjustments instead of forcing the issue when stuff didn't work. Yeah, I'm talking about you Shurmur.

REFRESHING!

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
RamFan503 liking the cheap stuff:
Hey. Don't knock irrational exuberance. Until you've tried it, you'll never know the high.

If that shit isn't good enough for Greenspan, it ain't good for moi.

On the other hand, I've got some stuff from Maui that...think space shuttle. :sure: :bwah:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
FRO said:
Everybody talks about the benefits of Bradford being in the same system. It does make a world of difference, but I want to focus on what it does for the coaching staff being in the second year of a system.

The coaches have a better grasp of the strengths and weaknesses of their personel. For example, look at our redzone offense before and after the bye week. They redesigned their redzone offense and the efficiency improved greatly. The staff now has a grasp in concepts that work down there. Demoff said in a chat how the offense did much better in a fast paced spread, and the coaches plan to build a lot of the offense around that. Also look at how the Rams used Mikell early in the year and how they used him in the middle and the end of the year. They discovered while in the box he is effective, but he is not effective in space and coverage. Knowing your personel and how to use them is huge.

Being in the same system allows gives the players confidence because they know the small details of the scheme and not just the surface details. The fact we aren't changing systems for both offense and defense is huge in our growth as a team.
Those are good points. And I'll add it's also huge for the rest of the offense and not just Bradford. All you have to do is remember how HORRIBLE (not even gonna pull punches there) the wide receivers were in 2011 in their first year (and not even a whole one) of McDaniels' offense. The only cat who had a clue what he was doing was Lloyd.

Kendricks couldn't catch a cold, Pettis was a non-factor, Sims-Walker was cut midway into the season, Amendola got hurt, Salas played only a half-dozen games, etc. And the offensive line was dropping like flies too. I have no way of substantiating if it was because of that wholesale change during a shortened off-season, but man -- that was just awful how they were dropping every single week.

Some freaking stability is going to be a real welcome change for sure.

tonyl711

Starter
this will be the first year many of the players will be in the same system, as young as this team is having to start over every year has hurt them a lot IMO. how can it not help going into the off season knowing the system you will be running? they should already have a pretty good understanding of their playbooks and for once will have a full off season to study it further.