Behind Todd Gurley, Rams rely on crew of undrafted RB's

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Behind Todd Gurley, Rams rely on crew of undrafted running backs

By Jack Wang, Los Angeles Daily News

[www.dailynews.com]

Todd Gurley’s voice was cracking.

Fourteen months ago, he stood in Chicago’s Auditorium Theatre as the Rams’ pick at No. 10 overall — the highest-drafted running back in three years. He had recovered from a torn ACL, from an NCAA suspension, and emotions gripped him. In that moment, he had climbed a mountain.

That Gurley was a first-round pick at all speaks to his obvious talent, hype he backed up by totaling the third-most rushing yards in the NFL last season. A week ago, he posted a picture of himself in front of the Hollywood sign, along with the caption, “Love Life.” As the Rams re-root in Los Angeles, he has become their most marketable face, one who only needs to utter eight words in a Carl’s Jr. commercial.

“We all give him a hard time,” said Chase Reynolds.

Reynolds has carved a tougher path to the NFL — that of the undrafted free agent. Curiously, it’s a journey that almost the entire non-Gurley depth chart has taken.

The only other drafted running back on the roster is Tre Mason, who has been absent from all of offseason workouts following his March arrest on drug and traffic charges. Head coach Jeff Fisher said during OTAs this month that the Rams have to “prepare ourselves that Tre’s not going to be here.”

Take out the former third-round pick, and here’s who the Rams are working with: Benny Cunningham, a capable kick returner whom they signed out of Middle Tennessee State in 2013; Reynolds, a Montana product who initially signed with the Seahawks in 2011 before joining the Rams that summer; Malcolm Brown and Aaron Green, who went undrafted out of Texas and TCU, respectively, last year and this year.

A draft-day pedigree is hardly a prerequisite for successful running backs. Mike Shanahan has a long history of plugging players into his zone-read blocking scheme, most recently coaxing 1,613 yards and 13 touchdowns out of Alfred Morris in 2012. In Houston, Arian Foster totaled 6,309 rushing yards and 53 touchdowns over six seasons, making four Pro Bowls along the way. And in Seattle, Thomas Rawls is set to succeed Marshawn Lynch after chipping in 830 yards as a rookie.

And while the Rams have a bonafide star in Gurley, they still need their reserves to contribute. Cunningham, who was careful to note that he prepares himself like a starter, attributes his success in part to finding his niche. After a torn patella tendon sank his draft stock, he found a spot with the Rams, one of just two teams to attend his pro day. He has yet to clear 300 rushing yards in a season, but has turned his last 60 kickoff returns into 1,677 yards.

“It’s kind of finding your role on the team,” Cunningham said. “Whether it be a third-down back, whether it be special teams — finding your role and being the best you can. I kind of understand what I’m expected to do here.”

Running backs coach Skip Peete added: “You target guys that you feel like have the qualities and abilities that fit the system.”

Reynolds has made himself valuable too, re-signing with the Rams this past offseason despite zero career carries. He has stuck around in the pros by virtue of his work in kick and punt return coverage. Even as younger players push him for his spot, he doesn’t shy away from lending them a hand.

“We’ve all been in that spot,” Reynolds said. “We’ve all been that guy who comes in. It’s a hard world to come into and be a part of. We all do a good job of getting around, lifting a guy up and helping him out. ‘Hey, ask me questions, I’ll let you know anytime.’ I mean, you’re almost grooming him to take your job.”

When it comes to identifying and signing undrafted running backs, Rams general manager Les Snead noted two key points. If the player doesn’t have speed — one of the most common reasons for lowered draft stock — you look for vision. And if he’s fast? You have to figure out whether he has a flaw “that may be too fatal.” Hit the right balance often enough, and it sometimes becomes easier to convince new free agents to sign on.

That the Rams are relying on so many once-unheralded names could, on one hand, be seen as an uncomfortable position. But could it also indicate a successful scouting strategy?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
IMO this is an area of concern although if Benny Cunningham is truly going to be number 2 does he still return kicks? You have others that can return kicks now in Pharoh Cooper and BTW Cunningham has changed his number from 36 to 23 so he looks more svelte.

Chase Reynolds is 29 now and one would surmise that they Rams might be able to find another person to fill his roll on special teams, however, roster spots are limited. The Rams IMO will carry 9 defensive linemen and 10 offensive linemen and last year only carried 5 linebackers on the original 53 so it will not come from that position.

Here is what I like about Malcolm Brown, he has great size and did show something in preseason, but the Rams did not give him enough of an opportunity against the 49ers in the last game of the year and stuck with little man Mason who did not play well.

Aaron Green can catch the football and hold up very well in pass protection, but does not run very well between the tackles. So what say you Skip Peete? Can you find a bonafide number two to Gurley. Again it very well can be Cunningham who played well against the Seahawks when thrust into the starter roll, however, one issue Cunningham is going to have work on is securing the football.

I have posted many times I like Brown I did not think he was utilized correctly at Texas and he received plenty of work in OTA 's and knowing Jeff Fisher Gurley won't play much in preseason and the others will get plenty of reps so that will be good and BTW the Rams did add another running back in Terrence Magee a surname that did serve the Rams well with FB Buford Magee, but we all know the story of defensive back you and me and Brandon Magee.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I imagine Brown makes the roster and Aaron Green makes our practice squad.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I imagine Brown makes the roster and Aaron Green makes our practice squad.

That is how I see it too unless someone breaks lose from another team that the Rams like.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I'm fine with our RB situation.

Gurley is among the very best in the league.

Mason will be a very good #2 if he can get his head on straight (which, I admit, is worryingly no sure thing). A trio of Gurley-Mason-Cunningham is great.

If Mason can't pull himself together, I really like Cunningham and am fine with him in the #2 role as well. In that scenario our depth does become a bit suspect, but we can cross that bridge if and when we get to it. Plus Malcom Brown has flashed at times. I wouldn't feel uncomfortable giving him the #3 RB spot to run with, behind Gurley and Cunningham, and seeing what he can do with the opportunity.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It's a deep position full of versatility and options. I still like Benny as the #2 guy unless Tre is able to extract his head from his arse at some point.

Benny plays bigger and better than his numbers suggest and you wouldn't know it unless you watched the games. He's been here and he's fully bought into his role behind #30.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Chase Reynolds is 29 now and one would surmise that they Rams might be able to find another person to fill his roll on special teams, however, roster spots are limited.
I think it's going to be tough for Reynolds to keep a spot this year.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
If Mason stops being a dumbass and gets back to who he was at Auburn our rb corp will be great. Cunningham will return kicks well and do get on 3rd downs and Brown/whoever will be good depth.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I have posted this for the last several years.
Lol right?

I think Reynolds' spot could go to an additional DB who can impact ST's this year. Rams are going to need additional depth there this season with the losses of JJ & McLeod. There's a little more uncertainty there going into this season then years past with durability issues(Tru, Gaines, TJ) and depth at FS.
Tru
Gaines
TJ
Mo
Joyner
Roberson
C.Davis
C. Sensabaugh

There's 8 core guys right there plus the FA(Sensabaugh). Your assessment of carrying 9 guys is likely the final number. Maybe even 10 at the expense of someone like Reynolds.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Your assessment of carrying 9 guys is likely the final number. Maybe even 10 at the expense of someone like Reynolds.

I could see that, so here's hoping it's Brian Randolph!:cheers: