Bears TE Martellus Bennett suspended (video)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You have no problem with somebody slamming somebody down to the ground, an act that has and will kill people to this day? There's a reason real and fake wrestling are done on cushions and mats, they're trying to cushion the impact as much as they can, because things like that have a propensity to hurt people more than just haha that'll teach you to freak with me and ends up more like, "I just wanted to teach you a lesson, not snap your neck." Especially when you drop a guy flush on his head like Bennett did.

I know emotions are high, but that's no excuse to start endangering people. There's a reason the NFL fined Rolando McClain when he did his best Hulkamania on Amendola and no, I doubt that people would be fine with it if Joyner did that to Britt or Quick or if Britt or Quick dropped Joyner on his head like some rag doll. If anything I'd be angrier at them risking injuring one of our players because he got knocked on his ass, getting knocked on your ass is a fact of life in football. I know it's not fun, but getting up and body slamming somebody? Huge overreaction and Bennett is getting everything he deserves.
HUH?!? This is football, you can/could be possibly killed/maimed/paralyzed at any moment...Oh yeah, same thing can happen crossing the street, eating a meal, driving a car...oh you're shocked? That impact, from getting thrown on his head, on grass, is far less than a full speed collision....Probably less G's than an amusement park ride....

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
You have no problems with punches and shoves? You can kill someone with a punch. You can injure someone with a punch. That's hypocritical.

I do agree with you that his actions after the fact are an issue. And that's why I support Trestman kicking him off the field and suspending him.

Fuller's dead body? C'mon.

The overreactions to me are the outrage, condemnation, and the people claiming that he could have killed Fuller. Yea, that's possible. A punch could also kill someone. I don't see you guys claiming that the a player could have died every time someone throws a punch at training camp. A tackle can kill someone. I don't see people claiming that a player could have died every time he's tackled. Hell, driving your car can kill someone...do you claim you could have died every time you enter your car?

It's just a gross exaggeration.
You certainly could, but I can guarantee that more have died from being slammed on their bean than being punched in the face, usually takes a lot more punches to do it too.

Also what are you c'moning? We've all seen the report about some dumb kids playing in the backyard, Randy bodyslams Timmy, Timmy ends up paralyzed or dead and then everybody blames the WWE. Lot more than I took a crummy swing at somebody's helmet then he fell over dead.

Fact of the matter is, picking somebody up and slamming him on the head is a lot more dangerous than anything you listed, take precaution and everybody does things appropriate, you don't die in your car and I implore you to find me somebody who died from a single punch rather then a guy continuously wailing on him until he was dead, something what wouldn't happen in a camp full of people. Can't really plan on dropping somebody on their head right so they don't die. Not really good comparisons imo.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
HUH?!? This is football, you can/could be possibly killed/maimed/paralyzed at any moment...Oh yeah, same thing can happen crossing the street, eating a meal, driving a car...oh you're shocked? That impact, from getting thrown on his head, on grass, is far less than a full speed collision....Probably less G's than an amusement park ride....
All true, which is why in our already short and dangerous lives you don't do things to put people at anymore unnecessary risk just because you're mad.

This is football, not MMA, body slamming somebody on their head is dumb no matter how you try to paint it.

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
I threw a punch on the line as a grill cook for a breakfast restaurant as a young 21 yr old strunt. Not a good idea to fight around giant 1,200 degree slabs of metal on slippery footing. Luckily no one was hurt except the pancakes. :)
Glad your bunn's didn't get burned Mojo. ;)

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I can tell you first hand when your testosterone gets flowing it's hard to keep yourself in check. I've gotten in fights with friends playing sports or in CCC training and IMO its just the nature of the beast. If Fuller can't take a hit like that he might as well hang up those cleats. However, Bennett was in the wrong IMO but it's nothing a good day of drills couldn't fix. In highschool I was on the daily 'extra effort squad' at the end of practice and those sessions arent fun let me tell you! lol

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You certainly could, but I can guarantee that more have died from being slammed on their bean than being punched in the face, usually takes a lot more punches to do it too.

No, I don't think you can guarantee that.

Also what are you c'moning? We've all seen the report about some dumb kids playing in the backyard, Randy bodyslams Timmy, Timmy ends up paralyzed or dead and then everybody blames the WWE. Lot more than I took a crummy swing at somebody's helmet then he fell over dead.

Yea and we've also seen plenty of reports of people killed or seriously injured by sucker punches. We've seen reports of people killed or seriously injured while playing football.

I'm c'moning the ridiculousness of your comment. Bennett didn't shoot him. Acting like Fuller is lucky to be alive is beyond hyperbole.

Fact of the matter is, picking somebody up and slamming him on the head is a lot more dangerous than anything you listed, take precaution and everybody does things appropriate, you don't die in your car and I implore you to find me somebody who died from a single punch rather then a guy continuously wailing on him until he was dead, something what wouldn't happen in a camp full of people. Can't really plan on dropping somebody on their head right so they don't die. Not really good comparisons imo.

Have any evidence other than your opinion to back up this "fact"?

There are NUMEROUS examples of people dying from sucker punches. Here's the first that popped up in a google search:
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...ry-Suspect-Charged-Misdemeanor-269147991.html

I saw an older teammate get paralyzed from the neck down in high school making a tackle and it indirectly led to his death in his 20s. Football is a dangerous game. And yet you'd never claim that Ogletree is lucky to be alive after making a tackle.

You're being over-dramatic.

Fuller isn't dead and him dying is not a likely outcome of Bennett flinging him to the ground.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
The man child slammed Fuller onto his head/neck/shoulder region.

That's how you kill and paralyze people if you hit them just right with enough force.

How long is he suspended anyway? He just needs to be made an example of what you don't do. Wrestling moves have no place in football. Run him until he pukes.

I'll never forget that prick Saban not doing much of anything when one of his dick lineman suplexed one of MU's RBs? I think by picked up up horizontal above his head and slamming him into the turf.

I saw that game live that was b.s.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No, both hurt and both can kill. Bennett didn't kill him so that's that. The whole killing angle is exaggerating to the nth degree.

When rookies do stupid things, they get put in their place. Our own vets have reacted not so nicely after they felt they were thudded too hard. I bet you if Joyner or another rookie slung a vet to the ground, the vet would come after him. It's football. It happens.

I'm not arguing against him being punished. Just the overreactions to it all.

And yet we don't have issues when players shove and fight. Hell, a lot of players like it. It's an emotional game. Fuller is a rookie and what he did was a no-no. What Bennett did was also a no-no. It'll happen when you have rookies trying to make their mark and veterans playing with an attitude and looking to put them in their place. It's competition.

Football isn't for the faint of heart. Yea, what Bennett did was dangerous. But it wasn't really any different than taking a swing at a guy during practice or fighting. It happens. Nobody was hurt so no harm no foul.

This is a violent game. They punished him because he should have been punished to set an example. At the same time, I'm not going to get all angry or act like this is something completely unexpected.

Putting them into their place? Are they 5 year olds that broke a lamp? Kyle Fuller didn't do anything wrong except try to make a play. Martellus Bennett got butthurt and slammed him down after the whistle. Period. Video evidence.

Yeah, it's a violent game. But guess what, in a game that is a personal foul and immediate ejection.

Pushing/shoving/mini-fights happen, but most of the time, the 2 guys go at it and a herd of teammates swarm and pull them apart within seconds and it's the end of it. This situation lasted (allegedly) much longer than that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Putting them into their place? Are they 5 year olds that broke a lamp? Kyle Fuller didn't do anything wrong except try to make a play. Martellus Bennett got butthurt and slammed him down after the whistle. Period. Video evidence.

I don't think that's true but I'd have to know how they were conducting practice. I'd be willing to bet that they were not doing live tackling during that practice so taking a player to the ground is doing something very wrong. You already heard of Rams players taking offense to the younger guys hitting them too hard in "thud" contact drills. That's an even worse offense. Especially for a veteran player. You don't let a rookie sling you to the ground in "thud" contact drills and walk away. That's going to result in a skirmish. Bennett took it further than he needed to though.

Yeah, it's a violent game. But guess what, in a game that is a personal foul and immediate ejection.

It is. Which is why you punish him. Can't have him making that mistake on game-day.

Pushing/shoving/mini-fights happen, but most of the time, the 2 guys go at it and a herd of teammates swarm and pull them apart within seconds and it's the end of it. This situation lasted (allegedly) much longer than that.

It didn't seem to last long to me.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't think that's true but I'd have to know how they were conducting practice. I'd be willing to bet that they were not doing live tackling during that practice so taking a player to the ground is doing something very wrong.
Looked like Fuller was going for the strip, but grabbed some arm in the process.
If I was a betting man, I'd say Bennett's ego was bruised by being dropped so easily.
Seriously. That was a one-arm rip and not much more.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looked like Fuller was going for the strip, but grabbed some arm in the process.
If I was a betting man, I'd say Bennett's ego was bruised by being dropped so easily.
Seriously. That was a one-arm rip and not much more.

I'd say Bennett's ego was bruised by being taken to the ground by a rookie in TC. I doubt he was thinking rationally.

Just like most any vet. If a rookie tackles a vet during a drill without live tackling, I bet the vet is not going to let it go. Especially when it's a guy known for having that sort of attitude and a huge ego that outweighs the rookie by 70 pounds.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
From what I hear, both the suspension and he fine were more about how Bennett handled himself after the incident than the indecent itself.

Angry Ram

I don't think that's true but I'd have to know how they were conducting practice. I'd be willing to bet that they were not doing live tackling during that practice so taking a player to the ground is doing something very wrong. You already heard of Rams players taking offense to the younger guys hitting them too hard in "thud" contact drills. That's an even worse offense. Especially for a veteran player. You don't let a rookie sling you to the ground in "thud" contact drills and walk away. That's going to result in a skirmish. Bennett took it further than he needed to though.

It is. Which is why you punish him. Can't have him making that mistake on game-day.

It didn't seem to last long to me.

It allegedly lasted at least 15 minutes after that.

I don't think Kyle Fuller was purposely trying to take him to the ground, or do anything of the sort, it was a byproduct. Anyway, it was after the whistle and much more than normal training camp rumbles.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think the punishment was warranted. Bennett, as the vet, overreacted to a rookie making a mistake. As a vet and leader of the team his reaction was counter productive to the team as a whole. Yelling at Fuller would have been more appropriate. Acting like a leader would be preferred.

I dont like any players on the team getting too carried away. Ray Ray and Bates took far too many penalties over stupidity last year. I would rather they let the Rams have the points that were taken away because of it.

I liked Incognitos play but I hated his over reactions. He took things too far and cost the Rams time and again. I would rather see that players can control themselves......it is crucial to winning.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It allegedly lasted at least 15 minutes after that.

I don't think Kyle Fuller was purposely trying to take him to the ground, or do anything of the sort, it was a byproduct. Anyway, it was after the whistle and much more than normal training camp rumbles.

Wasn't the fight that lasted, rather, it was Bennett's blow-up. Which is a big reason why he was rightfully suspended.

I don't think Fuller did it on purpose either and what Bennett did was unnecessary...but things like that happen when you have egos, emotions and a violent game.

Hell, I still remember Steve Smith breaking Ken Lucas's nose with a punch in TC back in the day.

Angry Ram

Wasn't the fight that lasted, rather, it was Bennett's blow-up. Which is a big reason why he was rightfully suspended.

I don't think Fuller did it on purpose either and what Bennett did was unnecessary...but things like that happen when you have egos, emotions and a violent game.

Hell, I still remember Steve Smith breaking Ken Lucas's nose with a punch in TC back in the day.

I remember that too, but that's Steve Smith.

Anyway, I think we're trying to argue over something we agree with RE Martellus Bennett was wrong. Oh well, it's over.