Bears' draft trade is bad, even if Mitchell Trubisky ends up being good

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/w...even-if-mitchell-trubisky-ends-up-being-good/

Why the Bears' draft trade is bad, even if Mitchell Trubisky ends up being good

You don't get medals in football for trying, you get them for results. And the decision by the Bears to trade up for Mitchell Trubisky will ultimately be judged on the results. If Trubisky is a good quarterback, Chicago general manager Ryan Pace will be applauded for doing what he had to do to get a franchise quarterback. If Trubisky stinks, it won't really matter, because Pace's bags will be packed for him.

So it's easy to just throw your hands in the air and wait to find out whether Pace made the right move. But it's also important to point out that process matters too in these things. And the process for Pace and the Bears in acquiring Trubisky was severely flawed.

Let's look at a few reasons why.

The trade itself
The Bears shook up the draft when they moved from No. 3 to No. 2 to take Trubisky . No one saw the trade coming, except the 49ers, and they sure didn't see the Trubisky pick coming. No one did, not even Trubisky. That's fine, because you want to make sure your plans aren't picked up on by other teams.

Spending too much time with Trubisky -- and by all accounts the Bears did not do that -- might have set off some red flags with teams like the Browns, who were also interested in Trubisky.

But it's pretty obvious that they negotiated against themselves on this one. An interview with 49ers GM John Lynch last week on ESPN Radio's "Mike and Mike" sort of solidifies that idea too.

Lynch was asked how the trade went down and said that he heard from Pace ahead of the draft, with Pace talking about staying in touch because the two GMs were picking right next to each other for several days. Then Pace called back the day before the draft.

"The day before the draft, Ryan called back again and I could tell the urgency had heated up and he said 'There's a scenario here in the first round where there's some teams that I understand want to get up to two. Have you had conversations?' And I said, 'Yes, indeed we have, with multiple teams,'" Lynch recalled. "At that point, he said 'We want the opportunity, will you call me if those things heat up.' And so I said, 'Yeah, Ryan, we had this discussion, absolutely.'

"The next day, the morning of the draft, he called back again. And at that point he was ready to go. So those talks started and meanwhile there were a couple other teams who were interested and it kept getting better."

ryan-pace-john-fox.jpg

Ryan Pace most likely could have stayed at No. 3 and still gotten Mitchell Trubisky. USATSI

So while Lynch did tell Pace there were other teams calling about the pick (and swears those teams were real), he also, according to his account of things, didn't try and leverage Pace into making a deal. Pace was pushing things right along all by himself, ensuring that the two sides could make a deal. That is the definition of negotiating against yourself.

Additionally, while it was probably smart not to tell Lynch who he was taking (because then maybe Lynch uses that to call Cleveland for a higher price), Pace probably could have saved himself on the move up if Lynch knew he was getting Solomon Thomas anyway.

The trade up wasn't cheap . While two third-round picks and a fourth-round pick isn't an exorbitant amount to land a franchise quarterback, it's not that simple either.

Opportunity cost
The picks that the Bears gave away could end up being really quality pieces and/or players. Let's start with the No. 111 pick, which the 49ers promptly used to move up from No. 34 to No. 31 and grab Reuben Foster. That could have been the Bears, and they could definitely use a standout linebacker.

Even if they don't make that trade, the players being taken in the range of the actual pick include safety Tedric Thompson (No. 111, Seahawks) and wide receivers Dede Westbrook (No. 110, Jaguars), Josh Reynolds (No. 117, Rams) and Mack Hollins (No. 118, Eagles). You think the Bears could use another offensive weapon for one of their two quarterbacks?

Their future third-round pick, actual number TBD, could easily end up being a top-75 pick. It's very likely. That could be a starting player out of the gate for another team.

The one that really stands out to me is the third-round pick the Bears gave up this year, No. 67 overall. The 49ers flipped that pick to the Saints, who snagged running back Alvin Kamara out of Tennessee. Even though the Bears have Jordan Howard, Kamara would be a strong addition to this roster.

More important, the 49ers picked up a future second-round pick from the Saints for the trade, along with pick No. 229. The latter pick ended up being Adrian Colbert, a cornerback out of Miami. If he ends up being any good, remember how they got him. And if the Saints end up going 7-9 for a fourth straight season, remember who the 49ers take with their top-50 pick next year. New Orleans picked No. 42 overall this past season and could very well give up a similar pick to the 49ers next season. The draft is a crapshoot, but there were some seriously talented players available at No. 42 this year.

The Glennon factor
The biggest surprise about the Bears and Trubisky was the fact that Pace just went out in free agency and signed Mike Glennon to a pretty hefty contract . Anyone who saw the money knew that Glennon wasn't guaranteed to be the starter in Chicago for more than a single year. But he was finally signing somewhere to be the guy, for at least a season, and that's likely out the window. Combining these two quarterbacks puts a pretty big wrench in the plans on a couple of different levels.

For starters, there's the obvious: competition. If Glennon struggles early or if the Bears aren't winning out of the gate, there will be substantial pressure to play Trubisky. Pace has stated repeatedly that Glennon is the starter, but depth chart lip service in May becomes worthless once August and September roll around.

mike-glennon.jpg

Will the Bears stick with Mike Glennon if the team struggles early? USATSI

Pace knows the construction of this roster better than anyone else, because he largely constructed it. But there is certainly the possibility of a Glennon-Trubisky battle early on managing to fracture the locker room. The same goes for the team refusing to play Trubisky if the Bears are struggling.

At the very least, Pace has done a disservice to Glennon by signing him, presumably promising him an opportunity to play and then making a huge splash by drafting a rookie quarterback.

Oh, and he didn't tell Glennon he was doing it. The incumbent got to find out about his competition while at a Bears draft party held at Halas Hall. Bet that wasn't awkward at all. No wonder he feels cheated on .

Not telling anyone at all
The decision not to tell Glennon was bizarre. But the reported decision to not tell coach John Fox about the move up to draft Trubisky? That was just wild. It has been repeatedly mentioned that Fox was "heavily involved" in scouting Trubisky and that's probably true.

Maybe Pace even told Fox before the draft, before the pick or before the trade. It's irrelevant, because it's pretty obvious that the coach and the GM in Chicago aren't working hand-in-hand at the moment.

Pace isn't required to tell Fox every move he's making, but his goal should be providing the best possible team for Fox to coach up and that has to require some input from Fox.

The lack of harmony has a bit of "Grigson-Pagano" to it, albeit with less public sniping and fewer wins. Pace might outlast Fox in Chicago, but it's not a good look to have these public issues happening while the team is trying to acquire a franchise quarterback and get the ship righted.

It just doesn't scream "harmony" or "competent."

The final take
Again, maybe it all works out of the Bears. The Seahawks drafted a quarterback (albeit in the third round) the same offseason they signed Matt Flynn to a big free-agent contract and got blasted for picking Russell Wilson (who actually kept Glennon on the bench at NC State for two years). That worked out pretty well.

But the investment here in Trubisky isn't a single third-round pick, it's a fourth-round pick, too, and another third-round pick next year.

Pace will be fine with the move if Trubisky becomes a top-10 or top-15 quarterback some time in the next two or three years. But ultimately the process that led to the selection was badly flawed. The Bears shouldn't be rewarded for their decision-making in that respect, regardless of how this whole thing pans out.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think I agree with this writer. If Trubisky becomes top 15, this was a very good trade for the Bears. Some teams take many years and draft choices to find a QB of that caliber; ask Cleveland.

Glennon is actually A GOOD REASON to make this trade. He gives them a starter option while taking the time to groom Trubisky, which needs to be done.

I dunno. I don't like the trade, but only because they probably could have stayed put and saved the draft choices. However, they did what they needed to do to land him and avoided the risk of losing him. Now... it's just a matter of his performance to grade the trade.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I actually hope this kid end up the next Montana or elway so everyone shuts up about it.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I actually hope this kid end up the next Montana or elway so everyone shuts up about it.

Actually I hope Goff is the next Montana or Elway, Trubisky can be the next Sid Luckman.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I don't think I agree with this writer. If Trubisky becomes top 15, this was a very good trade for the Bears. Some teams take many years and draft choices to find a QB of that caliber; ask Cleveland.

Glennon is actually A GOOD REASON to make this trade. He gives them a starter option while taking the time to groom Trubisky, which needs to be done.

I dunno. I don't like the trade, but only because they probably could have stayed put and saved the draft choices. However, they did what they needed to do to land him and avoided the risk of losing him. Now... it's just a matter of his performance to grade the trade.

I think the issue is that it really looks like they could have stood pat and still landed him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The bad part of the trade was the dysfunction they showed the owner and the world when Fox said he found out about it right before it happened.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
When one needlessly gives up two 3rds and a 4th for a player that one could have had one pick later...

Well, isn't that the very definition of a bad trade?

Whether Trubisky becomes a HOF'er or a bust is an entirely seperate conversation.

Think about it.

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
Any team looking to move up to #2 was a threat to ruin the Bears day. I think they have to make the deal to insure they get their man.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I personally dont get all the fuss about the trade. There were reports about the browns being conflicted about taking Trubisky #1. If thats true, with all the draft capital they had, they easily could have traded up to #2 for him. I dont think the niners wanted to drop so far which is why they ended up getting as much as they could from the bears. and as others have stated, if he pans out no one will care what they traded to get him.

now my problem with the trade is I dont think Trubisky is any good and all that draft capital went to the niners. But I dont see how you can criticize them for trading much less than other teams have to go get the guy they view as their franchise QB.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The bad part of the trade was the dysfunction they showed the owner and the world when Fox said he found out about it right before it happened.

That was the only bad part of the trade. Must have been some kind of fight in the war room. They didn't even give the qb a call before his name was announced.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think the issue is that it really looks like they could have stood pat and still landed him.

How do you know that? It only takes one team being interested in Trubiskey and moving to two to get him. A few teams liked him, so there was a reasonable risk. The Bears had to make the trade to be certain to get their guy......well, Pace's guy anyway. If Lynch sensed an urgency with Pace, it is probably because Pace heard that Cleveland or another team was trying to move up.

Brinson is as bad as LaClownfora. Ripping the Bears for giving up a third and a fourth this year plus a third next year, which is valued as a fourth this year. So the equivalent of a third and two fourths, for a shot at a franchise QB. Or, more importantly a shot at a guy who the Bears GM is convinced can be a franchise QB. Pace would be foolish not to make that trade. Teams spend decades trying to find the QB that can help them win playoff games, or even get them to the Playoffs. How many third and fourth round players become good enough to be worth not going after a QB that you think is the future?

I see two things going on here. One, the smug football jocks like Golic and Lynch playing up the idea that the football player is a better GM than another GM who didn't play football. A lot of the jock types take offense to the idea that they are just dumb jocks and resent it. So, they get a chip on their shoulder about it. Plus there is this mythical notion out there that if you played the game it makes you more qualified to recognise football talent. Simply not true. Ask Torry Holt about his loving the Tye Hill pick. Sure a few guys have had success moving to player evaluation but only a few.

The other thing I notice is that everyone is on the Brown's bandwagon for amassing all of those picks. That is shortsighted. First they let some good players go to get many of those picks. And what good are all of those picks if they didn't use them to acquire the pick that landed them their QB of choice? You don't get far without a franchise QB. Now, I am aware that I am assuming the reports that Cleveland wanted Trubiskey were true, but I have heard it enough to believe it. If I wrote a story about the drafting of Trubiskey it would be to point out another Cleveland failure.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
How do you know that? It only takes one team being interested in Trubiskey and moving to two to get him. A few teams liked him, so there was a reasonable risk. The Bears had to make the trade to be certain to get their guy......well, Pace's guy anyway. If Lynch sensed an urgency with Pace, it is probably because Pace heard that Cleveland or another team was trying to move up.

Brinson is as bad as LaClownfora. Ripping the Bears for giving up a third and a fourth this year plus a third next year, which is valued as a fourth this year. So the equivalent of a third and two fourths, for a shot at a franchise QB. Or, more importantly a shot at a guy who the Bears GM is convinced can be a franchise QB. Pace would be foolish not to make that trade. Teams spend decades trying to find the QB that can help them win playoff games, or even get them to the Playoffs. How many third and fourth round players become good enough to be worth not going after a QB that you think is the future?

I see two things going on here. One, the smug football jocks like Golic and Lynch playing up the idea that the football player is a better GM than another GM who didn't play football. A lot of the jock types take offense to the idea that they are just dumb jocks and resent it. So, they get a chip on their shoulder about it. Plus there is this mythical notion out there that if you played the game it makes you more qualified to recognise football talent. Simply not true. Ask Torry Holt about his loving the Tye Hill pick. Sure a few guys have had success moving to player evaluation but only a few.

The other thing I notice is that everyone is on the Brown's bandwagon for amassing all of those picks. That is shortsighted. First they let some good players go to get many of those picks. And what good are all of those picks if they didn't use them to acquire the pick that landed them their QB of choice? You don't get far without a franchise QB. Now, I am aware that I am assuming the reports that Cleveland wanted Trubiskey were true, but I have heard it enough to believe it. If I wrote a story about the drafting of Trubiskey it would be to point out another Cleveland failure.

No one knows for sure. But, I'm just going by what I've read from Peter King who was actually in the 49ers war room and from what I've heard on Sirius NFL Radio. NFL personnel people were shocked.

Besides, it would have been pretty expensive to move up to #2 for other teams potentially expected to consider a QB as they weren't just a pick or two behind the Bears. And that expense for a kid with only 13 college starts?

Last edited:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Duh bears have NEVER had a badass QB. Never. And don't try and tell me that the "Punky QB" they had was a badass QB.

That franchise has had QB Envy throughout it's entire existence.

If this rookie turns into a badass... the trade was a STEAL for Duh bears. A steal FOR them.

Without a badass QB in the NFL... there will be no titles. It's that simple.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I dunno. I don't like the trade, but only because they probably could have stayed put and saved the draft choices.
Seems like the main theme...they were basically bidding against themselves...

Don't hold your breath....Montana was an incredible winner at ND too...

The other thing I notice is that everyone is on the Brown's bandwagon for amassing all of those picks. That is shortsighted. First they let some good players go to get many of those picks. And what good are all of those picks if they didn't use them to acquire the pick that landed them their QB of choice? You don't get far without a franchise QB.
Well, draft picks are the life blood in the NFL....If used correctly they can build a potentially potent roster. They have already amassed a wealth of talent...in a relatively short amount of time.

Oh yeah, I like Deshawn Kiser a bunch. Big, strong, and seems smart as hell...Oh yeah, came from a pro-style offense.

Duh bears have NEVER had a badass QB. Never.
You're too rough on Jim....dude could play..and really throw..he was the classic case of under-trained athlete...I also remember Sid Luckman....and I think they had a some short guy in the 50's or 60's that can throw...I also remember a guy named Avalini....Bob...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Seems like the main theme...they were basically bidding against themselves...

Don't hold your breath....Montana was an incredible winner at ND too...

Well, draft picks are the life blood in the NFL....If used correctly they can build a potentially potent roster. They have already amassed a wealth of talent...in a relatively short amount of time.

Oh yeah, I like Deshawn Kiser a bunch. Big, strong, and seems smart as hell...Oh yeah, came from a pro-style offense.

You're too rough on Jim....dude could play..and really throw..he was the classic case of under-trained athlete...I also remember Sid Luckman....and I think they had a some short guy in the 50's or 60's that can throw...I also remember a guy named Avalini....Bob...

And if a few players from the next couple drafts pan out, all their contracts will be up at the same two year period. The Rams couldn't even keep JJ and they didn't have as many picks as Cleveland. Players will want to test the market instead of signing team friendly deals.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No one knows for sure. But, I'm just going by what I've read from Peter King who was actually in the 49ers war room and from what I've heard on Sirius NFL Radio. NFL personnel people were shocked.

Besides, it would have been pretty expensive to move up to #2 for other teams potentially expected to consider a QB as they weren't just a pick or two behind the Bears. And that expense for a kid with only 13 college starts?

Again, if Pace thinks Trubiskey has the tools to be a top QB he would be foolish not to make sure they got him. I doubt the bidding against himself angle too. Even if Lynch lied about teams asking about moving up to two, Pace would have no way of knowing if it is true, so they still have to insure they get their guy by moving up.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Again, if Pace thinks Trubiskey has the tools to be a top QB he would be foolish not to make sure they got him. I doubt the bidding against himself angle too. Even if Lynch lied about teams asking about moving up to two, Pace would have no way of knowing if it is true, so they still have to insure they get their guy by moving up.

Hard to imagine anyone being so sure about any QB with only 13 college starts, which included team losses in 3 of the last 4 games.