Battered person syndrome ... Stockholm syndrome???

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Battered person syndrome is a physical and psychological condition of a person who has suffered (usually persistent) emotional, physical, or sexual abuse from another person.

The syndrome develops in response to a three-stage cycle found in domestic violence situations. First, tension builds in the relationship. Second, the abusive partner releases tension via violence while blaming the victim for having caused the violence. Third, the violent partner makes gestures of contrition. However, the partner does not find solutions to avoid another phase of tension building and release so the cycle repeats. The repetition of the violence despite the abuser's attempts to "make nice" results in the abused partner feeling at fault for not preventing a repeat cycle of violence. However, since the victim is not at fault and the violence is internally driven by the abuser's need to control, this self-blame results in feelings of helplessness rather than empowerment. The feeling of being both responsible for and helpless to stop the violence leads in turn to depression and passivity. This learned depression and passivity makes it difficult for the abused partner to marshal the resources and support system needed to leave.

Stockholm syndrome is a psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors, sometimes to the point of defending them. These feelings are generally considered irrational....

Stockholm syndrome can be seen as a form of traumatic bonding, which does not necessarily require a hostage scenario, but which describes “strong emotional ties that develop between two persons where one person intermittently harasses, beats, threatens, abuses, or intimidates the other.”[4] One commonly used hypothesis to explain the effect of Stockholm syndrome is based on Freudian theory. It suggests that the bonding is the individual’s response to trauma in becoming a victim. Identifying with the aggressor is one way that the ego defends itself. When a victim believes the same values as the aggressor, they cease to be a threat

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Put on your big boy pants and take your licks like everyone else. It'll build character.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Nah man, we do it for the hopes that the blue and gold get it together and get back to the promised land one day.

So you could probably say we're delusional.

Incomparable, domestic abuse is sickening. We can leave anytime we want the fact of the matter is that most of us enjoy watching the Rams, yes it sucks at times but I can tell you that no matter what happens come Sunday mornings I am truly excited to watch our Rams, regardless of the previous week.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Put on your big boy pants and take your licks like everyone else. It'll build character.
No matter what I say I can usually expect to get a positive laugh in return. Nice counter, X.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Incomparable, domestic abuse is sickening. We can leave anytime we want the fact of the matter is that most of us enjoy watching the Rams, yes it sucks at times but I can tell you that no matter what happens come Sunday mornings I am truly excited to watch our Rams, regardless of the previous week.
Take a chill pill. No one here is saying that the two are in the same domain of "sickness".