Barron update

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just my two cents here, but Mark Barron is/was a great football player. Sad that he had to be the guinea pig in Jeff fishers "hybrid" fantasy, and his body paid the price! Barron was drafted as a strong safety and was very good until Tampa moved him to free safety. Do you think he could be moved back to safety to play with JJ at a reduced rate? I know things like that never work out, but Barron is/was too good to NOT be on the field for every play.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
His body just isn't going to get better and hold up to the pounding a LB takes as he gets older. It happened to Deone Buchanon as well. The smaller guys at LB will wear down quicker. Barron came in and played good ball and helped stabliize the D in 2014. He has to be managed in camp and practice at this point in his career. Thanks Mark, but it's time to get younger and bigger at LB. Someone that can practice weekly and develop chemistry in the middle of the D.

Ram65

Legend

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/mark-barron-9817/
https://overthecap.com/player/mark-barron/355/

These site have different numbers for Barron which was confusing.

So the roster bonus is per game not at the beginning of the new NFL year?

If that is the case then the Rams don't have to make a decision until after June 1st. That changes what I was thinking. As fans we/I look at the cap hit/dead money not the money it cost the Rams (8 Million). I think you get what I mean. So the Rams have more time to redo his contract to a lower amount? Now, overthecap has the dead cap as 3.333 Million so that would be 1.666 or 3.33 M depending on when he is cut.

Maybe the Rams can lower his payment and keep him.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His body just isn't going to get better and hold up to the pounding a LB takes as he gets older. It happened to Deone Buchanon as well. The smaller guys at LB will wear down quicker. Barron came in and played good ball and helped stabliize the D in 2014. He has to be managed in camp and practice at this point in his career. Thanks Mark, but it's time to get younger and bigger at LB. Someone that can practice weekly and develop chemistry in the middle of the D.

Yup. Medical staff thought he'd be ready by training camp - instead his recovery took a quarter of the season, before he played, several months later. That tells me that he is breaking down.

Different sport, but Branch Rickey famously said "It is better to trade a player a year too early than a year too late.” No salary cap in those days, so instead of getting value back, it's saving precious cap space. He is breaking down, but being paid like a star. Probably should move on. Hope I'm wrong for his sake, but the Rams really need the cap space, and he is the expensive player who is least likely to be worth his salary, imo.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Just my two cents here, but Mark Barron is/was a great football player. Sad that he had to be the guinea pig in Jeff fishers "hybrid" fantasy, and his body paid the price! Barron was drafted as a strong safety and was very good until Tampa moved him to free safety. Do you think he could be moved back to safety to play with JJ at a reduced rate? I know things like that never work out, but Barron is/was too good to NOT be on the field for every play.
I think Barron sucks as a safety.

The hybrid linebacker position was the only position he could play but he would wear down during the game.
He can cover most tight ends but can't cover real receivers. IMO.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
If you watch the championship games he's grabbing a lot of jersey no matter who he's covering. Honestly Snead do the right thing. Make sure he passes a physical, try and get a draft pick (like a 6th). If that doesn't work, thank Barron for his contributions and cut him before free agency.

dang

Legend
I think Barron sucks as a safety.

The hybrid linebacker position was the only position he could play but he would wear down during the game.
He can cover most tight ends but can't cover real receivers. IMO.
I truly don't recall how Barron performed as a Safety but it appears he cannot take the beating of being a run-stopping ILB. Is his only position as a 4-3 OLB?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just my two cents here, but Mark Barron is/was a great football player. Sad that he had to be the guinea pig in Jeff fishers "hybrid" fantasy, and his body paid the price!

i'm sure he's not complaining. that move earned him $28m in the last three seasons.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I truly don't recall how Barron performed as a Safety but it appears he cannot take the beating of being a run-stopping ILB. Is his only position as a 4-3 OLB?
Tampa Bay ditched him as a safety.
That and a little bit of tape on him getting burned is all I really know about his inability to play safety.

Since he wears down in the run game, he's not even really an inside linebacker either.
I think the Rams could really benefit from a real inside run-stopping thumper who lives to hit a running back.

But definitely time to move on from Barron at any position. IMO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Question for you all........I see Mark Barron's best playing position @ this time in his career as a solid slightly above average weak outside LB'er in a standard 43 D. Do you see it differently?

Barron now over 30, might be able to find a Salary Cap losing team flooded with $$$$$ that could offer him a 2 to 3 yr contract for an average of $3 to $4 million a year, that's the best he could hope for IMO & that's IF he is healthy enough. Then why would the Rams pay him $10 million this season for more of what we got this season? Just for the hope that he would return to his younger 2015-2016 version?

As pointed out in the above posts Snead has a number of current Ram players under contract who can play this post. thus the creating a hole defense in keeping Barron does not come into play here.