Barrisons starting line-up

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Well, training camp right around the corner now guys, so I decided to take a crack at the opening lineup for starters in game 1. A lot of it was pretty simple to figure out, like our DL and DB, but what about WR2, LG, or the OLB situation we have, after camp this could look completely different.

Defense-------------Offense
RE Quinn------------LT Saffold
DT1 Brockers--------LG Watkins
DT2 Langford--------C Wells
LE Long--------------RG Dahl
ROLB Dunbar--------RT Smith
MLB Laurinaitis------QB Bradford
LOLB McIntosh-------HB1 Jackson
CB1 Finnegan--------HB2 Pead
CB2 Jenkins--------- WR1 Quick
FS Mikell-------------WR2 Alexander/Givens
SS Stewart-----------TE Kendricks

Well, like I said a lot of this was common sense but others are tough to decide, glad im just a fan, but what do you guys think about the camp posistion battles this year and who will ultimately be starting day one?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think you won't see SJ and Pead on the field together much so I think you need to name a third W or a FB or a second TE
Your rec. Ardunno
I think if they all stay healthy
Smith,Amendola,Quick are you starting 3 WR's,IMO DX gets cut
The D I have no issues with though, as long as JJ can get away from the family :lmao:

Anonymous

Barrison6 said:
Well, training camp right around the corner now guys, so I decided to take a crack at the opening lineup for starters in game 1. A lot of it was pretty simple to figure out, like our DL and DB, but what about WR2, LG, or the OLB situation we have, after camp this could look completely different.

Well, like I said a lot of this was common sense but others are tough to decide, glad im just a fan, but what do you guys think about the camp posistion battles this year and who will ultimately be starting day one?

I only have a cold of comments.

1. I don;t see either Boudreau or Fisher starting a rookie at LOG. Not in the first half of the season, anyway. I base that on looking at their OL depth charts in Tenn and ATL.

2. I doubt DX starts even if he can go, and I have doubts as to whether Givens will be much more than a situational role player. There are other, more experienced options at WR2, including Smith and Salas.

3. Kendricks is not really a TE. He is a lighter, "move" TE who is not built to handle in-line blocking duties. Several times Fisher and others have said that they have different roles for different TEs, so that for example they like to have an in-line blocker who acts as a 6th lineman. Kendricks would then be part of 2 TE sets, which he is a natural for, but wouldn't be "THE TE" in that sense.

4. Pead and Jackson are rarely if ever going to be on the field at the same time. Maybe in specialty gimmick sets. It's more likely going to be 2 TEs + the RB, and the RB will be of course mostly Jackson and then Pead in a reliever role.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Barrison6 said:

I like that you have the Rok in your starting line-up. ZN is adamant in his opinion that he will not start, and based solely on Fishers previous teams he's likely right. However I think Rok maybe the best option we have at LG and he will be given every opportunity to start.

Pead wont be in the starting line-up. We will likely see a FB in that slot. Also Danny will be one of the starting WRs. Just a cerimonial thing. My money is on BQ and Danny being the starting WR.

On board with everything else.

Anonymous

libertadrocks said:
Barrison6 said:

I like that you have the Rok in your starting line-up. ZN is adamant in his opinion that he will not start, and based solely on Fishers previous teams he's likely right. However I think Rok maybe the best option we have at LG and he will be given every opportunity to start.

Pead wont be in the starting line-up. We will likely see a FB in that slot. Also Danny will be one of the starting WRs. Just a cerimonial thing. My money is on BQ and Danny being the starting WR.

On board with everything else.

On LOG. It's not just Fisher. Boudreau was the same. If he started rookies at all, it was in the 2nd half of the season. That's even with Baker in 2008, who was a 1st round pick. In fact rather than start Baker right off, he moved a career right tackle type (Todd Weiner) to left tackle and kept him there for half a season. Actually he did the same thing with the Rams in 06. The 06 OL was in turmoil all year due to injuries but it finally settled down in the second half of the season. One reason that 2nd half OL performed so well back then is Setterstrom, who was a 7th round rookie. But PB would not put him on the field until the 2nd half of the season.

So it's a trend. A tendency.

I also think that in the meanwhile, Boudreau can polish up one of the less heralded vets like Mattison or Ojinakka to play LOG.

You should read what people in Atlanta were saying about the Falcons OL before the season. People thought they had NOTHING. People were even saying that it was a mistake to sign Turner and draft Ryan because the lack of a O-line would get them both killed. (I actually looked this up and posted about it elsewhere and provided examples.) What did PB do? He made a top-notch OL that relied on 2 unheralded UDFAs, Dahl and Clabo. No one commenting on the team thought anything about those 2 till PB got them up to speed.

Now this isn't a prediction. A thousand things could happen between now and week 1. I am just saying what history tells us. Which is like saying, I am just pointing out what the odds are for one scenario over another.

History tells us neither Fisher nor Boudreau are real big on starting rookie linemen, at least in the first half of a season. It also tells us that Boudreau doesn't need fan-recognized names to come up with something like a left guard. And he has honestly done that far more than once.

I also need to stress the Kendricks point. Kendricks is not a traditional TE. He won't play like a traditional TE in one TE sets even if they do use one TE sets. All off-season both Brian the S and Fisher talked about multiple TE sets, and how different TEs have different roles. Kendricks was born to play a "move" TE, and all indications are that he will not be lining up in traditional 1-TE sets and asked to be a traditional in-line blocking TE.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
zn said:
On LOG. It's not just Fisher. Boudreau was the same. If he started rookies at all, it was in the 2nd half of the season. That's even with Baker in 2008, who was a 1st round pick. In fact rather than start Baker right off, he moved a career right tackle type (Todd Weiner) to left tackle and kept him there for half a season. Actually he did the same thing with the Rams in 06. The 06 OL was in turmoil all year due to injuries but it finally settled down in the second half of the season. One reason that 2nd half OL performed so well back then is Setterstrom, who was a 7th round rookie. But PB would not put him on the field until the 2nd half of the season.

I also think that in the meanwhile, Boudreau can polish up one of the less heralded vets like Mattison or Ojinakka to play LOG.

You should read what people in Atlanta were saying about the Falcons OL before the season. People thought they had NOTHING. People were even saying that it was a mistake to sign Turner and draft Ryan because the lack of a O-line would get them both killed. (I actually looked this up and posted about it elsewhere and provided examples.) What did PB do? He made a top-notch OL that relied on 2 unheralded UDFAs, Dahl and Clabo. No one commenting on the team thought anything about those 2 till PB get them up to speed.

Now this isn't a prediction. A thousand things could happen between now and week 1. I am just saying what history tells us. Which is like saying, I am just pointing out what the odds are for one scenario over another.

History tells us neither Fisher nor Boudreau are real big on starting rookie linemen, at least in the first half of a season. It also tells us that Boudreau doesn't need fan-recognized names to come up with something like a left guard. And he has honestly done that far more than once.

I also need to stress the Kendricks point. Kendricks is not a traditional TE. He won't play like a traditional TE in one TE sets even if they do use one TE sets. All off-season both Brian the S and Fisher talked about multiple TE sets, and how different TEs have different roles. Kendricks was born to play a "move" TE, and all indications are that he will not be lining up in traditional 1-TE sets and asked to be a traditional in-line blocking TE.

I understand your point. HIstory repeats itself and old habits arnt easily changed.

I just have a feeling about Rok. I have a feeling he becomes a clearly superior option at LG to Quinn and Mattison. Rok has a significant size advantage(20lbs) and early reports are that he has hulk strength. As long as he proves he can pick up the game mentally and isnt a liability laterally, I think he gets a shot.

As for Kendricks. I think, much like DannyA, he is a cerimonial start. A one TE set will likely involve another TE. A better blocking TE. However I think you are underestimating Kendricks blocking potential.

bluecoconuts

Legend
If he performs in camp, I expect him to start. I doubt they will keep a better player off the field, simply until he is a rookie. The teams they were on before, maybe they didn't start them because they had more depth, they had a good option there already, allowing them to ease them into a starting position.

With the Rams, they may feel that they just need to get the best players out there. We'll see what happens, but if he's the best guy in camp, I expect him to play.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Barrison6 said:

I'd say Salas starts over DX/Givens. If Quick starts that would be awesome, but I think it's likely Amendola starts over him. I bet Ojinaka starts @ LG, then Watkins will get in later, but he might get early playing time. Especially if Ojinaka struggles (which would be bad, mkay?)

Anonymous

libertadrocks said:
zn said:

You should read what people in Atlanta were saying about the Falcons OL before the season. People thought they had NOTHING. People were even saying that it was a mistake to sign Turner and draft Ryan because the lack of a O-line would get them both killed. (I actually looked this up and posted about it elsewhere and provided examples.) What did PB do? He made a top-notch OL that relied on 2 unheralded UDFAs, Dahl and Clabo. No one commenting on the team thought anything about those 2 till PB get them up to speed.

I understand your point. HIstory repeats itself and old habits arnt easily changed.

I just have a feeling about Rok. I have a feeling he becomes a clearly superior option at LG to Quinn and Mattison. Rok has a significant size advantage(20lbs) and early reports are that he has hulk strength. As long as he proves he can pick up the game mentally and isnt a liability laterally, I think he gets a shot.

As for Kendricks. I think, much like DannyA, he is a cerimonial start. A one TE set will likely involve another TE. A better blocking TE. However I think you are underestimating Kendricks blocking potential.

I have great respect for Kendricks's blocking. Just that he's not an IN-LINE blocker. He blocks on the perimeter and when in motion and handles DBs and LBs. An in-line blocker has to block DEs.

I don't think his position will be ceremonial--I think they will list themselves as a 2 TE outfit and Kendricks + other guy will both be identified as starters.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
zn said:
I have great respect for Kendricks's blocking. Just that he's not an IN-LINE blocker. He blocks on the perimeter and when in motion and handles DBs and LBs. An in-line blocker has to block DEs.

I don't think his position will be ceremonial--I think they will list themselves as a 2 TE outfit and Kendricks + other guy will both be identified as starters.

Its trivial, but I curious. The 2nd TE in the staring line-up would replace the FB? Or who?

Anonymous

libertadrocks said:
zn said:

Its trivial, but I curious. The 2nd TE in the staring line-up would replace the FB? Or who?

Depending on the package (cause they will sometimes have 2 TEs and a FB and sometimes 3 TEs)...but, mostly, in a traditional 2 TE offense it's 2 TEs and no FB.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
zn said:
Barrison6 said:

1. I don;t see either Boudreau or Fisher starting a rookie at LOG. Not in the first half of the season, anyway. I base that on looking at their OL depth charts in Tenn and ATL.

2. I doubt DX starts even if he can go, and I have doubts as to whether Givens will be much more than a situational role player. There are other, more experienced options at WR2, including Smith and Salas.

3. Kendricks is not really a TE. He is a lighter, "move" TE who is not built to handle in-line blocking duties. Several times Fisher and others have said that they have different roles for different TEs, so that for example they like to have an in-line blocker who acts as a 6th lineman. Kendricks would then be part of 2 TE sets, which he is a natural for, but wouldn't be "THE TE" in that sense.

4. Pead and Jackson are rarely if ever going to be on the field at the same time. Maybe in specialty gimmick sets. It's more likely going to be 2 TEs + the RB, and the RB will be of course mostly Jackson and then Pead in a reliever role.

Good points, ZN, but I think that Rok will impress some in camp and get the job imo. Amendola will be our starting slot receiver but our perimeter threats are gonna be taller, go get it type of receivers like Quick and Alexander, then switch out Givens for Alexander every once in awhile to mix it up. I see Kendricks as a hybrid tight end sure he's known for making the catch but there were a few plays last year where he was a beast on the line blocking for SJ39. Finally, Jackson and Pead , I could see Fisher using SJ as a fb and Pead as HB in some random formation to throw a defense off balance. I should of clarified though, I think SJ will be starting and Pead will be his change of pace.

Anonymous

Barrison6 said:
zn said:
Barrison6 said:

Good points, ZN, but I think that Rok will impress some in camp and get the job imo. Amendola will be our starting slot receiver but our perimeter threats are gonna be taller, go get it type of receivers like Quick and Alexander, then switch out Givens for Alexander every once in awhile to mix it up. I see Kendricks as a hybrid tight end sure he's known for making the catch but there were a few plays last year where he was a beast on the line blocking for SJ39. Finally, Jackson and Pead , I could see Fisher using SJ as a fb and Pead as HB in some random formation to throw a defense off balance. I should of clarified though, I think SJ will be starting and Pead will be his change of pace.

Kendricks blocked well--as a move TE. Bajema was the in-line blocker.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
zn said:

It's going to be a fluid situation based on matchups. We are not good enough to line up and say "Stop this".

I agree with blue and not some randomly based past statistic, that if Rok is the best player or option, that he will start.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
libertadrocks said:
zn said:

It's going to be a fluid situation based on matchups. We are not good enough to line up and say "Stop this".

I agree with blue and not some randomly based past statistic, that if Rok is the best player or option, that he will start.

Well I was more referring to the traditional starting line-up that posted. We are splitting hairs here but more often than not it has a set format.

Typically the starting line-up has the OL, QB, RB, RB2/FB, 2 WRs, and a TE.

Im not saying the first snap of the game thats the personel set we'll see on the field at all. GB's starting line-up was in that form even tho they play a more wide open offense.

Last year Danny was listed as a staring WR outside, even though he never played out there. Its just a way of spotlighting the top players on a team at each position.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
DR RAM said:
libertadrocks said:
zn said:

Well I was more referring to the traditional starting line-up that posted. We are splitting hairs here but more often than not it has a set format.

Typically the starting line-up has the OL, QB, RB, RB2/FB, 2 WRs, and a TE.

Im not saying the first snap of the game thats the personel set we'll see on the field at all. GB's starting line-up was in that form even tho they play a more wide open offense.

Last year Danny was listed as a staring WR outside, even though he never played out there. Its just a way of spotlighting the top players on a team at each position.
Yep, I was just saying it will be a combination. A second TE could replace a FB, RB, or both, or a WR typically. My addition about matchups, meant that we will try to find what is the favorable one based on our opponents defense. Some teams line up offensively and say, "Stop this". We can't at this point. At some point, hopefully we can.