Barksdale hopes to have future with Rams/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Barksdale hopes to have future with Rams
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_6d1ed8a4-75ad-5237-8b2c-ddca5c2d6fa5.html

Durable, and consistent, Joe Barksdale has quietly entrenched himself at right tackle on the Rams’ offensive line.

With emphasis on the quietly. He wasn’t a high-priced free agent such as left tackle Jake Long or center Scott Wells — or guard Rodger Saffold this past offseason. Nor was he a marquee draft pick such as the team’s current starting left tackle, No. 2 overall pick Greg Robinson.

In fact, he was a waiver wire pickup — a street free agent, as it’s called in the NFL.

Since joining the Rams in 2012, and moving into the starting lineup early in the 2013 season, Barksdale has quietly gotten the job done. To a large degree, offensive linemen don’t get noticed until they get beaten for a sack or get called for a penalty.

Those kinds of things don’t happen very often to Barksdale. As offensive line coach Paul Boudreau said near the end of training camp this summer, “Joe was probably the most consistent pass-blocker I had last year.”

With the notable exception of the Kansas City game, in which Chiefs linebacker Justin Houston got him for three sacks, you can probably say the same thing about Barksdale this year.

With rare exception, he has been a rock at right tackle, and obviously has enjoyed his time in St. Louis.

“It’s been great,” Barksdale said. “I say it all the time. This staff gave me a second chance. I was a guy coming off the street, and honestly, I still feel like that guy today. You know, just as far as being motivated and work ethic.”

Barksdale plays with that chip on his shoulder because of being cut by Oakland, and he brings that attitude with him to Rams Park every day.

“Of course, it gives you motivation, makes you always want to get better,” Barksdale said.

And makes you want to maintain that consistency.

“Hard work,” Barksdale said. “The Kansas City game was horrible for me. Everybody has a bad game — that’s what Coach told me.

“But as far as everything else, even in my locker I’ve got a list of things to work on every week. It changes every week, but a lot of the stuff stays consistent.”

It’s a handwritten note posted in Barksdale’s locker stall at Rams Park, reminding him of what he needs to work on for the season and for the upcoming game.

“For example,” Barksdale said, “Run-game footwork. I don’t have any arches in my feet, and when I step flat-footed I don’t have as much power in my stance.”

So that note constantly reminds him to stay on his toes. The to-do list, Barksdale continued, can be about something as relatively innocuous as working on non-verbal communication, which can help in a noisy road stadium.

“As a football player in the NFL and as an offensive lineman, there’s always things you could do better,” Barksdale said. “And I remind myself of that all the time.”

So the hard work has paid off, and the change of scenery has worked wonders.

“Joe took advantage of this opportunity,” coach Jeff Fisher said at the start of this regular season. “The timing was perfect for us. We needed the help. We got him in here. He learned.”

And got better and better.

Barksdale was taken in the third round of the 2011 draft, No. 92 overall by Oakland out of Louisiana State. But following the 2011 season, the Raiders — as they are wont to do — changed coaching staffs.

The rumor was that either the new regime didn’t like Barksdale, or he had trouble working with them. Or maybe a mixture of both. In any event, Barksdale was cut in late September by the Dennis Allen coaching staff.

What went wrong?

“I honestly don’t know,” Barksdale said. “And that’s a question I’ve actually stopped asking myself. For whatever reason, it felt like I didn’t fit in, and so that’s how I ended up on the waiver wire.

“And then the Rams claimed me. I was very fortunate. I’m thankful for it.”

As his third season in St. Louis starts to wind down, Barksdale is one of a small group of Rams regulars eligible for unrestricted free agency after this season.

He’s obviously someone the Rams would like to have back, and there has been communication between the team and Barksdale’s agent, although nothing resembling serious dialogue about a contract offer.

Barksdale wants to return but is leaving that up to his agent at this point.

“Right now, I’m just focused on getting better every day, and trying to do whatever I can to help the team,” he said. “I’ve got a wedding coming (in March). So between that and the season, there’s a lot going on.”

Barksdale has known his fiancee, Brionna Blackwell, since the third grade in Detroit. (They waited a little longer than third grade before they started dating.)

In fact, Barksdale is personally providing some of the entertainment at his own wedding. At the suggestion of Fisher at the end of the 2013 season, Barksdale took up the guitar last February.

As was the case with his play at right tackle, Barksdale has gotten better and better. He even keeps his “travel guitar” in his locker stall — on the opposite side of where his “things to work on list” is hanging.

A couple of weeks ago, he played a little something for his teammates in the locker room, and Barksdale says the reviews were good.

“Someone said that they thought they were listening to the radio,” Barksdale said.

He’s got a couple of special songs planned for the bride to be at their wedding reception.

“I’m gonna play “Foxy Lady” by Jimi Hendrix,” Barksdale said.

OK, not exactly a traditional wedding ballad. But romance, like right tackles, can come in many forms.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Put it this way, if we let him leave, half the league would be after him.
You can count his bad games on one hand after 2 years as a starter.
With greg and him as bookends, with saffold at guard, that's a nice base to start from, draft a centre/guard and we actually have a decent starting line

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Put it this way, if we let him leave, half the league would be after him.
You can count his bad games on one hand after 2 years as a starter.
With greg and him as bookends, with saffold at guard, that's a nice base to start from, draft a centre/guard and we actually have a decent starting line

Yeah, you don't hear a lot about pancake blocks and the like, he just goes about his business and is doing a real good job, IMO...With all the turmoil on the OL I would sure think he will be a priority in the off season..Assuming his agent doesn't go all "We'll only take top LT money"..That would probably allow him to hit the street, at least initially...

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Barksdale is a good one. If we can pay him RT starter money to stay RT, that's a no brainer.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Durable, and consistent, Joe Barksdale has quietly entrenched himself at right tackle on the Rams’ offensive line.
Add to this, he's very intelligent, and motivated. So it's a no-brainer, you don't let him get away!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
There is a lot of good stuff you get with with Joe Barksdale most of it all positive but not all. There is no doubt that the Rams need him to return when compared to what we have signed in 2015 in our OL. Most all of us gave up serious Kudos :bow:to being the last OL'er standing after 17 weeks of war in 2013 and yes a well deserved (y). With the injury histories of Rodger Saffold, Scott Wells, Jake Long & Davin Joseph ...the Rams should need a half dozen Joe Barksdale's.

In truth the Rams have little choice & no options but to resign JB cuz they really do not have another ORT on this team....yes Saffold can play ORT but JB beat Saffold out of his job last season & Saffold is already damaged broken goods. Rams are already playing with a very poor ORG & removing Saffold from the other OG post would open the flood gates of hell.

Even with that knowledge of Saffold deplorable injury history the Rams wanted him back where Rodger Saffold signed a 5 year / $31.35 million contract, including a $5,000,000 signing bonus, $19,500,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $6,269,447. One would think that Joe Barksdale will also get something close to that too he certainly is physically in much better condition with just as good head on his shoulders as Rodger has.

This rosy JB article mentions one poor game :whistle::cautious:....the 3 sacks given up agaisnt KC 34 defense but he also gave up a couple playing the Eagles 34 defense when Connor Barwin beat him. In addition JB gave up pressure & hits all day & 2 sacks against AZ with DE Calais Campbello_O. I think the secret is totally out on how to beat JB now. I should also say that JB does not get much help from our TE's in pass protections or chips from the edges he is usually on his own with Davin Joseph. I would like to say that IMO JB would be helped by Boudreau much if JB had a Tim Barnes or a Barrett Jones or a Mike Person or even a Travis Bond starting next to him @ ORG!

When you do purchase $$$$$ Barksdale's rights for him to play for you the Rams & fans should know ....FACT your not getting a OL'er that's all that solid in pass protection, JB is closer to the opposite. JB best game is in run blocking & a short passing game with short QB drop backs. In truth our starting QB Davis does not help JB look good in pass protection due to the time Davis holds onto the ball.

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Re-signing Joe is a no-brainer. And with Long tearing his ACL again, I think he's done here, so some of the cap money that went to him can now be re-allocated to Joe. Get it done, Kevin.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Barksdale is a very good RT. He hasn't had the best past few weeks, the Arizona game and the KC game weren't that great for him, but overall he is a rock and you can't expect every RT to do well against Justin Houston and Calais Campbell, those guys are elite players and they're highly regarded for a reason. I would be very happy if we resigned him, his on the field play and his locker room demeanor look great for this team.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Re-signing Joe is a no-brainer. And with Long tearing his ACL again, I think he's done here, so some of the cap money that went to him can now be re-allocated to Joe. Get it done, Kevin.
It's not only Long's injury that makes him done here. It's that contract that makes the Rams have less than $3 million of dead money for cutting him before next season. And the fact that we have our LT of the future now.

IMO, drafting Robinson was the final admission that the Long signing was a mistake.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
It's not only Long's injury that makes him done here. It's that contract that makes the Rams have less than $3 million of dead money for cutting him before next season. And the fact that we have our LT of the future now.

IMO, drafting Robinson was the final admission that the Long signing was a mistake.

I agree with the first part of your post, but don't agree that it was an admission of a mistake. Long's contract, while not a one-year "prove it" contract, was structured in a way indicating that they knew this was a possibility. They took a calculated risk knowing this could happen, but also knowing that there was a possibility that Long could regain something akin to his previous form. And to be fair, he played pretty decently last year up until his first ACL blowout.

I don't think he was ever brought in to be a permanent fixture at LT. At the time of his signing, we didn't have a lot of options and still had a lot of holes to fill. Long was a good stopgap guy, but I think the idea was to find his replacement while he was still playing. GRob's emergence last season combined with Washington's gift of suckage to the tune of the #2 pick in the draft gave them the opportunity to get the permanent replacement, and it's a move they probably would have made even if Long had not got hurt toward the end of last year.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Man this guy is such a Ram. He comes on ROD and answers questions and does his own little show like Heller. Not to mention he's a darn good player. I'll need a vent thread if we don't extend his contract.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I have said basically the same thing here....But a "class act" like Jake Long would be a welcome to any NFL locker room. Back to back ACL's tears & add two previous MCL's tears too..... would sure make most think Jake is done as a Ram & as a starter in the NFL......Big but here Jake may want to continue to play even in a diminished skills & abilities. If the 6-7 325 pound Jake Long wants to continue in his NFL career he will have to first get fully 100% healthy then Jake would have to take a sizable restructured contract & full knowledge here that Greg Robinson is the Rams starting OLT.

Jake might make a attempt to slide inside as a possible LEFT OG 2015 starting candidate, with Saffold moving back to the ORG starting post. This would seem to me, to be Jake's best position if he wanted to continue but his days starting @ OLT are over IMO. Jake might also be able to be a emergency reserve Right OT behind Barksdale if Joe Barksdale is resigned. If JB departs then the ORT post could be another look see post for Jake but that seems a little harder to get done.

Of course all this is pure wild speculation on my one old still working brain cell. This Boudreau OL scheme fits Jake's style & he could retain some skills to be a decent run blocking OLG. Boudreau loves to refurbish veteran broke down OL'ers & a low cost Jake Long fits his hobby completely. It worked with getting OL Harvey Dahl to play in the NFL when Harvey moved from OT to ORG after a major injury.

Athos

Legend
Evidently, finding O-Line that stay healthy throughout the year and remain solid is an almost insurmountable feat for the Rams.

They'd better re-sign him.

Irish

Starter
Gone are the days of stupid GMs paying right tackles left tackle money to fail at left tackle in free agency.

Having said that, there is a trend developing in the NFL of RTs getting PAID, with Cherilus getting 7 MIL, Davis getting 6.4 MIL, and Loadholt 6.25 MIL per year, and that number is not going down.

Its not out of the realm of possibility to believe we are a few years away from seeing 10 MIL+ right tackles. Barksdale is going to get PAID this offseason.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Barksdale has had his share of struggles. Perhaps, in a way, that makes him more affordable.

Bottom line; we can't afford another hole to fill On the oline. Good player with upside. We need to resign him, and with Long and certainly Wells on the way out we should have the cap dollars.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Here's to hoping we can re-sign him...I tend to think that if Saffold got $33 mil, Joe might be worth $25 mill....can we pay this?

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Evidently I am not seeing what you guys are seeing in Barksdale. I see our RT getting beat constantly. I think he is the weakest link on the line. The Rams need to draft a RT.