Balzer: Rams Line Coach Has Concerns

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Howard Balzer
http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLcom/S ... Ahead.aspx

Me thinks Paul Boudreau has his work cut out for him.

It was going to be hard enough anyway, but after the Rams’ almost mind-numbing roster machinations over the weekend, the team’s offensive line coach is now trying to piece together an offensive line that will have someone starting at left guard Sunday against Detroit that hasn’t had any snaps with the first team this summer at that position.

Now, don’t get me wrong; the world won’t stop spinning on its axis because Quinn Ojinnaka was cut Sunday. But if that was a possibility, might it not have been a thought to have someone else play left guard in the four preseason games?

Consider this: Throughout the offseason OTAs and minicamps, Bryan Mattison got virtually all of the reps with the first unit at left guard. That was partly because Ojinnaka saw time at left tackle with Rodger Saffold not having been cleared for practice.

When training camp opened, Ojinnaka was the left guard, and he never budged. Mattison started at right guard in the third preseason game because Harvey Dahl was out with a virus. Robert Turner, who started the first two games because of Scott Wells’ knee injury, started the preseason finale at right guard.

Now, it seems likely Turner will be the left guard against the Lions unless Boudreau wants to take a chance at starting raw rookie Rok Watkins on the road in what promises to be a loud Ford Field.

Offensive line play is about chemistry and communication. Chemistry this line doesn’t have and communication is always harder in loud road stadiums.

Wells and Dahl have played two games this summer and none together. Whoever lines up to Wells’ left will be someone he hasn’t played with.

Turner started three games, but not at left guard. Watkins has played, but not with the first team. Any idea what the over-under will be for false starts? Right tackle Barry Richardson has had a few of those already, but I guess it’s better to get a false start than get quarterback Sam Bradford killed.

This line will have to protect Bradford, who has a green undrafted free agent as his backup. The Detroit secondary is vulnerable, but Bradford will have to get some time. It appears the Lions will start Drayton Florence at quarterback, and he just signed Sunday after being released by Denver.

Yes, it will be a busy afternoon for Steven Jackson.

Speaking of that green undrafted free agent: We all were impressed with the job Austin Davis did during the preseason. But, it was against deep backups. It is unprecedented for a team to enter the season with an undrafted rookie free agent as the No. 2 quarterback. I don’t know if that’s ever happened in recent NFL history.

Sure, Kellen Clemens threw a bad interception against Baltimore, but he's a veteran that has experience in coordinator Brian Schottenheimer's offense.

Last week, coach Jeff Fisher said, "Austin's done a great job. He's picked up this offense, which is not easy to do in a short time and he's done a good job. But Kellen's been in this offense for six or seven years and he has a good sense, a good feel for it." Guess not a good enough feel.

While still with the Falcons, general manager Les Snead said he scouted Davis at Southern Mississippi last season because the team was looking for a backup to Matt Ryan.

Snead said on the TV broadcast last Thursday, "Just what you've seen (this summer) is what I saw. He's just a winner and he makes plays."

So far, on the NFL level, he’s only done that in the preseason against very few players that are even on rosters now.

Surely, the Rams have told Clemens not to venture too far from his phone. If anything happens to Bradford, that phone will likely be ringing.

Roster notes: The current 53-man Rams roster has 16 rookies, including six undrafted free agents. There are 21 players with one year of experience or less. Only 22 players were under contract to the Rams at the end of the 2011 season and six of those were on injured reserve.

There are also 21 players on the roster that weren’t drafted. Nine entered the NFL with the Rams and 12 with other teams.

Rams: 2012 -- Quarterback Austin Davis, defensive tackle Matthew Conrath, cornerback Quinton Pointer, safeties Rodney McLeod and Matthew Daniels, punter Johnny Hekker. 2011 -- Long snapper Jake McQuaide. 2010 -- Defensive tackle Jermelle Cudjo, safety Darian Stewart.

Other teams: 2012 – Tackle Ty Nsekhe (Colts, played four seasons of indoor football). 2011 – Tight end Mike McNeill (Colts). 2010 – Linebacker Justin Cole (Chiefs), defensive tackle Kellen Heard (Raiders). 2009 – Fullback Brit Miller (Panthers). 2008 – Wide receiver Danny Amendola (Cowboys), tight end Matthew Mulligan (Dolphins), linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar (Saints). 2007 – Center/guard Robert Turner (Jets), safety Craig Dahl (Giants). 2005 – Guard Harvey Dahl (Cowboys). 2003 – Safety Quintin Mikell (Eagles).

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Lions will start Drayton Florence at quarterback

Certainly we will win if this is the case.

Sorry Balzer, I had to....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
lol.

Cue the fat lady!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i think the rams will do well throwing against the lions. their secondary is nothing to write home about. sjax will run early often and then it will be up to bradford to find the open man once the lions start stacking the box.

can't wait.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
It certainly looks bad on paper for our Rams. Have to admit, I hope there is more to this team than what I have seen so far this off/preseason. Not optimistic at all about this season. Next year should be much better....then again "better" would be a loose term around this team lately. Surprise me Rams!!

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Personally I'm pretty damn optimistic every season every game regardless of the coach,staff and players. Yes I've seen my fair share of puzzling moves but that still has never stopped me. Before I got Sunday Ticket, I remember going to various bars just to watch the Rams on a small pos tv w/ no sound simply due to us not being a popular team. I even remember wearing my SJax jersey while the waitress was wearing a McNabb on opening day 2008. I watched it in its entirety while also accepting her entitled smack talk. After that although it was easily offered I turned her down. :shock:

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Faceplant said:
It certainly looks bad on paper for our Rams. Have to admit, I hope there is more to this team than what I have seen so far this off/preseason. Not optimistic at all about this season. Next year should be much better....then again "better" would be a loose term around this team lately. Surprise me Rams!!

All the youth on the roster is both exciting (long-term)and terrifying (short-term).

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
BatteringRambo said:
Personally I'm pretty damn optimistic every season every game regardless of the coach,staff and players. Yes I've seen my fair share of puzzling moves but that still has never stopped me. Before I got Sunday Ticket, I remember going to various bars just to watch the Rams on a small pos tv w/ no sound simply due to us not being a popular team. I even remember wearing my SJax jersey while the waitress was wearing a McNabb on opening day 2008. I watched it in its entirety while also accepting her entitled smack talk. After that although it was easily offered I turned her down. :shock:

I have been a Rams fan since I was 7 (1979...I am old) and I have been heckled in more bars than I can count for wearing everything from Bradford to Ellard jerseys. Am I optimistic about the future? Sure, as Jdash mentioned, this team is extremely young and has a potentially bright future. Right now this team has serious questions at key positions and has recently set a record for futility over a five year stretch. I may not see things as optimistically as you do, but that certainly does NOT make me less of a fan. I just tend to believe what my eyes tell me. I stopped believing my heart after the Linehan era....

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Faceplant said:
I have been a Rams fan since I was 7 (1979...I am old)

Old? Puhleeeez! Been routing for my Rams since '67 and I'M still not old. Knock that shit off. :sly:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
RamFan503 said:
Faceplant said:

Old? Puhleeeez! Been routing for my Rams since '67 and I'M still not old. Knock that shit off. :sly:

Yeah.... I started in 1973 (I was 6). You calling ME old?

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Selassie I said:
RamFan503 said:
Faceplant said:

Old? Puhleeeez! Been routing for my Rams since '67 and I'M still not old. Knock that shyte off. :sly:

More like aged.....as in a fine wine. :mrgreen:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Faceplant said:
Selassie I said:
RamFan503 said:
Faceplant said:

Old? Puhleeeez! Been routing for my Rams since '67 and I'M still not old. Knock that shyte off. :sly:

More like aged.....as in a fine wine. :mrgreen:

:7up:

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Faceplant said:
BatteringRambo said:

I have been a Rams fan since I was 7 (1979...I am old) and I have been heckled in more bars than I can count for wearing everything from Bradford to Ellard jerseys. Am I optimistic about the future? Sure, as Jdash mentioned, this team is extremely young and has a potentially bright future. Right now this team has serious questions at key positions and has recently set a record for futility over a five year stretch. I may not see things as optimistically as you do, but that certainly does NOT make me less of a fan. I just tend to believe what my eyes tell me. I stopped believing my heart after the Linehan era....

We cool ROD Rams bud...I can't really put a word besides optimism to explain. I didn't want to even mention Linehan, or any of the prior or most recent "natural disaster" outcomes.

Don't get me wrong, do I think the Rams will always reach the postseason every season..hell no lol. I simply bring my own positive/elevated attitude to each game..no one can rip that from me or any of our personalities. I've heard all the validated laughing mockery being a Rams fan..it ain't nothing to me I acknowledge when we've been who we've been since **Georgia** took over for the most part, god bless her but she should have...ehhh won't even start that up.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
BatteringRambo said:
Faceplant said:
BatteringRambo said:

We cool ROD Rams bud...I can't really put a word besides optimism to explain. I didn't want to even mention Linehan, or any of the prior or most recent "natural disaster" outcomes.

Don't get me wrong, do I think the Rams will always reach the postseason every season..hell no lol. I simply bring my own positive/elevated attitude to each game..no one can rip that from me or any of our personalities. I've heard all the validated laughing mockery being a Rams fan..it ain't nothing to me I acknowledge when we've been who we've been since **Georgia** took over for the most part, god bless her but she should have...ehhh won't even start that up.

I hear ya. Believe me, I am excited for the season, as I am every year at this time. I just think we are in for more rough times before we see some real improvement. I, like the rest of us have been beaten down over the last 20+ years of bad football. 1999-2004 was like a blip on the radar as far as I am concerned. The Rams have been abysmal for the better part of 22 years....

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When I meet another Rams fan, it's awesome because we are in the minority. What cracks me up are the guys that seem to love the Packers or Steelers just to associate themselves with a "winner'. They have never been to the city, never been to a game, can't name palyers, but claim to be a fan. I know they are out there. Posers. It's easy to feel good about yourself with a winner. I like my lumps with the Rams. When they (Rams) do win, it's extra special and my joy is 1000% honest jubilaton and I've earned it! :lol: I'm hoping for at least 4 wins this year and I'll be happy. Anything more than that is going to be pure gravy. If we go to the playoffs, I don't know what I would do. Run down the street naked? :lol: Yikes! Bad image, sorry :sick: :boing: :oops: