Balzer: Rams Defense #2 in Points Against Minus the Return TD's

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Howard Balzer ‏@HBalzer721

Notable stat: Taking out return TDs from points against, Rams defense is ranked No. 2 in NFL with 222. Seattle at 221 only team better.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If you take those out for the Rams, need to take it out for the other guys too. Perhaps he did, I dunno.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No. We're behind Seattle and Detroit. Seattle has given up 24 TDs and 17 FGs. Detroit has given up 24 TDs and 18 FGs. We've given up 25 TDs and 16 FGs. That puts us exactly 1 point behind Detroit and 1 point ahead of Buffalo(23 TDs and 21 FGs).

We're also #4 in points per drive allowed.

EDIT: But that doesn't factor in 2 point conversions. The Rams have allowed 0. Detroit allowed 2. Seattle allowed 1. So if we factor those in, Balzer is correct.

However, I didn't factor 2PC into my rankings because I'm not sure whether I should count that under special teams or defense.

Last edited:

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Just imagine how good this defense will be with a full year in the system.And the really scary part for the league anyway is that we are very young so they will dominate for years.In the meantime I'll enjoy watching them destroy Az and Sea and the Giants.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
This 6 game stretch (since the San Fran game), the Rams D has just been sick! The first 7 games (through the KC game), the Rams D was sick in that OTHER way. Sickly. I wonder what the Rams defensive PPG ranking was through week 8? I wonder what the stats look like since...

(if nobody answers, I might TRY to do the research) @jrry32 already seems to have his finger on this pulse

This 6 game stretch (since the San Fran game), the Rams D has just been sick! The first 7 games (through the KC game), the Rams D was sick in that OTHER way. Sickly. I wonder what the Rams defensive PPG ranking was through week 8? I wonder what the stats look like since...

(if nobody answers, I might TRY to do the research) @jrry32 already seems to have his finger on this pulse

Give me a second and I'll find out.

Through 7 games we allowed 19 TD and 12 FGs for 24.143 points per game.
Since we've allowed 6 TDs and 4 FGs for 9 points per game.

Compared to every team's entire season (not a fair comparison, but gives you some idea) 24.143 would rank us 25th, 9 would rank us 1st 7.846 ahead of the Seahawks.

Compared to every team's entire season (not a fair comparison, but gives you some idea) 24.143 would rank us 25th, 9 would rank us 1st 7.846 ahead of the Seahawks.

Over those 6 games the Rams have scored 5 TD 3 FGs off turnovers plus another 2 if you include turnovers on downs.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Just imagine how good this defense will be with a full year in the system.And the really scary part for the league anyway is that we are very young so they will dominate for years.In the meantime I'll enjoy watching them destroy Az and Sea and the Giants.
You better believe the Rams D will be studied a lot in the Off-Season, by a lot of Teams!:D

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman

Over those 6 games the Rams have scored 5 TD 3 FGs off turnovers plus another 2 if you include turnovers on downs.

Perfect answers, @Rams and Gators , exactly what I was asking. Thanks for that!

An incredible correlation, see if you can spot on the PFF grades on TJ McD when the Rams D "clicked on".

upload_2014-12-9_9-5-12.png

Same question for Alex Ogletree (that -4.5 in week 12 was San Diego, the closest thing we had to a "setback" week in this 6 week span).

upload_2014-12-9_9-6-20.png

My belief - TJ McD and Ogletree are the best capable and best positioned players to make hugely impacting plays on the Rams D. This was "known" coming into this season, where they talked about TJ McD and Ogletree as being the kind of "jokers" that Williams just LOVES, and that they were poised / positioned to have huge breakout seasons. When they are on and making plays, dominating their competition, the Rams D as a whole becomes dominant.

~~~

Looking through other Rams players, nobody else was volatile and had the correlation with Rams D success like TJ and Ogletree. Most were fairly consistent from week to week with minor fluctuations. The only other player who kinda turned it on was The Mighty Quinn waking up around week 8.

upload_2014-12-9_9-10-0.png

Most of the Rams player grades kinda look like this below on Rodney McLeod (not picking on McLeod, just using him as an example), minor variations from game to game, but nothing like the incredible correlation with TJ McD and Ogletree on the success of the Rams D.

upload_2014-12-9_9-21-8.png

RamzFanz

Damnit

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
yeah, it's at least 95... I saw that looking back at the 1976 Steeler season.

Still, to break 88 would make them #2 all time, correct?