Balzer: New face of Rams running game possible on Sunday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
By Howard Balzer for KSDK Sports
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.ksdk.com/sports/pro_football/article/400695/30/Balzer--New-face-of-Rams-running-game-possible-on-Sunday" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ksdk.com/sports/pro_football ... -on-Sunday</a>

130912021317_Daryl%20Richardson.jpg

(KSDK Sports) -- The Rams could have a new starting running back Sunday when they face the winless Jacksonville Jaguars at the Edward Jones Dome.

After four games, the Rams are last in the league in rushing, averaging 47.3 yards per game and 2.6 per attempt. Daryl Richardson opened the season as the starter and had 20 attempts for 63 yards in an opening-day win over the Arizona Cardinals.

He injured his foot in that game, and since then he has 22 rushes for 51 yards. Last Thursday against San Francisco, Richardson played only seven snaps in the second half with no rushing attempts after gaining just 16 yards on 12 first-half carries.

Tuesday night, on Twitter, Richardson was asked by a fan if he is still starting. He responded, "not this week man."

After practice Wednesday, Richardson claimed no decision had been made. "I was really saying it would be a competition," Richardson said. "I was talking to fans and didn't mean that."

When asked what might lead him to believe he might not start, Richardson said, "You can tell from the reps. The coaches haven't been specific as to who will start. I don't really know. But there's been a lot of rotation."

The other backs are Isaiah Pead, Benny Cunningham and Zac Stacy, who could be in line for a chance after being inactive for two games and playing just one snap against the 49ers. Pead has seven carries for 21 yards, Cunningham 10-for-22 and Stacy 1-for-4.

A coy Stacy also said, "Right now, we don't know who's starting Sunday. But we're all capable."

When coach Jeff Fisher was asked who will start at running back, he said, "I haven't decided yet. Probably play most, if not all, the running backs that are active. Depends on what package we're in when we start the game."

As for Richardson's tweet, Fisher was asked whether the team has a policy concerning social media. He said, "Yes, we do. That was just brought to my attention. I was surprised about that. We haven't gone one direction or the other right now."

As for whether he is upset with Richardson, Fisher said, "I'll discuss it. I don't think he meant it. He's coming off some injuries and he just needs to be more thoughtful about his responses. Really not going to affect the outcome of the game."