Balanced attack yesterday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
We had a total of 64 plays. Of those, 33 were run plays, 31 pass plays.

Even though our rushes per attempt was horrible, 1.9 yards average, we still kept running the ball. Of course taking a knee affects these numbers but just take a look at that. Half our plays were pass, half were run. Even though the run wasn't working too well, McVay kept the Colts off balance with a good mix of run and pass.

After the first two offensive series I was worried and thought we were watching Fisher ball again. Then McVay adjusted. In game time, not at halftime.

I for one am truly excited for our team and this season. I think our coaching staff is just what the doctor ordered.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame

Even though our rushes per attempt was horrible, 1.9 yards average, we still kept running the ball. Of course taking a knee affects these numbers but just take a look at that. Half our plays were pass, half were run. Even though the run wasn't working too well, McVay kept the Colts off balance with a good mix of run and pass.

After the first two offensive series I was worried and thought we were watching Fisher ball again. Then McVay adjusted. In game time, not at halftime.

I for one am truly excited for our team and this season. I think our coaching staff is just what the doctor ordered.
I know the point still stands with our rush average, but take away Mannions 3/-7yds on kneel downs and that average goes up a bit. Plus Gurley broke a couple that were called back.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The adjustments in-game were beautiful. That period you refer to I was gettin irked at the checkdowns and going on about them to anyone who would listen lol. Then next possession here come the deep passes again. You can just feel McVay's presence in the game, that he's already picked up on the things most fans notice and is adjusting.

It's impressive, because as we all know fans know everything when watching their team on gameday! :p

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know the point still stands with our rush average, but take away Mannions 3/-7yds on kneel downs and that average goes up a bit. Plus Gurley broke a couple that were called back.
Agreed 100%. I even mentioned the kneel downs. Unfortunately, penalties are part of the game and we have to live with them. I think my main point is the balance of run Vs. pass.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Passes were well distributed also...Bunch of guys got to touch the rock, early and often....Only guy I was shocked that didn't touch it early was Higbee...Probably by design. Glad we got Sammy W. and Woods involved early.....Same with Gurley. It was smart, and showed a level of growth by Goff....Certain guys NEED to see the rock...get to message it...feel it up. Ya know what I'm sayin?:sneaky::football:

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I think we were actually pretty pass heavy before halftime. Seemed like the MO in the second half was to score once or twice more and then pass only on 3rd down as needed.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Anyone else notice pass and run plays up and over the middle? Something the Rams O couldn't do last season.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Was hoping we have an offense that can at least sustain drives, McVay has exceeded expectations thus far. Now the defense can buy the offense dinner for bailing them out

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My favorite part of the passing game is 8 different guys caught a pass. Best part though is 5 different guys caught a pass over 20 yards.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My favorite part of the passing game is 8 different guys caught a pass. Best part though is 5 different guys caught a pass over 20 yards.

That has been almost unheard from a Rams offense in awhile.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Then McVay adjusted. In game time, not at halftime.

This^ can't be enough!!! What a difference having a Coach and Staff that can Think and Act-on-the-fly makes!!(y)(y) It sure makes you feel like the Ski's the Limit!!:yess:

theduke

Rookie
Camp Reporter

And two of Gurley's longest runs were called back on secondary holding calls. That's why the running numbers at the end of the game were surprising. We saw a lot better running than those numbers show. Granted, we need to limit those issues, but I'm not as worried about the run game as I would be if I had not seen the game and only saw the stats.

Also, we were lucky that most of our o-line penalties came on a single drive, rather than stalling several of them.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we're going to have to pass first to open up the running game. Maybe first down play action to start the game. Goff will have to be hot, then the defense doesn't load the box against the running game.