Awwww...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Browns give 5-year-old boy the memory of a lifetime in front of 24,131 fans

Aug 03, 2013 -- 10:05pm
By Tony Grossi | ESPNCleveland.com

Ryan-Encinas-Browns.jpg

* An announced crowd of 24,131 showed up for the annual Family Night practice – the first real football event in newly renamed FirstEnergy Stadium of the new Browns’ regime.

The Browns executed a lot of team drills, including a new installation with the offense backed up to the end zone, and the kickers took turns on a summer night belting kickoffs into the end zones.

But the real highlight came at the end when the Browns gave a 5-year-old recovering cancer patient the chance to score a touchdown.

After all the drills were over, a video told the story of Ryan Encinas of Cuyahoga Falls, who was diagnosed with lung cancer at age 2. He spent six weeks in a hospital undergoing chemotherapy and radiation treatments. Encinas celebrated two years in remission on Friday. He visited Browns camp that day. Through the Littlest Heroes program, which supports families with young cancer patients, the Browns arranged to give Encinas the thrill of a lifetime.

Encinas ran onto the field in full Browns uniform with the first-team offense. He was handed the ball by Brandon Weeden and was guided through a 50-yard touchdown run. The idea was hatched by coach Rob Chudzinski’s son, Kaelen, who saw Nebraska do something similar at its spring game.

“When Chud told us we were going to do that in team meetings, I was pumped about it,” Weeden said. “That was a cool deal. The kid is five years old and he's been through a lot.”

Rookie linebacker Barkevious Mingo said, “He couldn’t do the things he wanted to do growing up, but to have this moment in front of these fans in this stadium, I’m getting chills right now. I’m sure it meant a lot to that little kid.

In an upset, referee Ed Hochuli, officiating on the play, did not throw a flag for too many men on the field.

* A source during the practice said that running back Trent Richardson, who sat out his second practice in a row after a kick in the right shin, will be held out for the exhibition home opener against the St. Louis Rams on Thursday night.

Afterwards, Chudzinski said that a decision has not been made.

“We’re going to work him back into practice on Monday and go from there,” he said.

The source said that the plan is to gear up Richardson for the second game against Detroit Aug. 15, which also is at home.

* The Browns were pleased with the turnout of 24,131 to the free practice. A fireworks and laser show concluded the evening. The Browns said attendance at Family Night last year was 19,412 and 12,354 in 2011.

Earlier in the week, offensive tackle Joe Thomas disclosed his dream is to have a home playoff game in Cleveland before his career is over.

"Oh, man, this place would be electric,” Weeden said. “I would not want to come here as a visitor. I was talking to (Cleveland native Brian) Hoyer about it the other day. I said, man, if we can win some games this place right here will be one of the most electric atmospheres in the league. The Dawg Pound and everybody else, it's great to begin with, and if we win some games the roof will blow off this thing."

* Most of the fan “enhancements” won’t be in effect until the Thursday exhibition opener, but President Alec Scheiner was pleased with one thing on Saturday.

“Cell service is working. I can retire now," Scheiner joked.

* With a new security company in place, there are going to be glitches early on. Owner Jimmy Haslam was stopped from entering the field because he was not wearing the proper wrist band credential. “I don’t need one,” Haslam said.

* Weeden threw the ball well in individual and team drills. Receiver Josh Gordon was not at his best, however, dropping three balls and being the intended receiver on an interception by Joe Haden. There were a few boos after the third drop. Gordon had two receptions before the end of the night.

* The defense seemed energized by the crowd and vice versa. Haden’s interception revved up the fans. Later, D’Qwell Jackson had a virtual sack of Weeden on one coordinator Ray Horton’s famed cross blitzes inside.

“We had the fans on our side this practice and it just energized the team,” said Mingo. “We played faster, we had fun out here. We had fun showing it in front of the fans.”

Chudzinski said, “Defenses typically are ahead of offenses this time of year. We haven’t gotten to the point where the offense is clicking, but it will come.”

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
That's whats up. Great move by the Browns maybe the only other team I'd ever show interest in.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Warner4Prez said:
That's whats up. Great move by the Browns maybe the only other team I'd ever show interest in.

:plus1: The Browns are slowly becoming better and honestly are just a WR away from becoming playoff contenders. I really like Brandon Weeden too.

BTW, after Pittsburgh the Browns and Bengals I really want to overtake the Ravens. No longer are they (CIN/CLE) jokes of franchises and got rid of their thugs and divas.

A55VA6

Legend
Always nice to see things like this. Props to the Browns and their players.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
GO BIG BROWN!!!! yep, just like, GO BIG RED!!!!!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The guy who wrote this, Tony Grossi, has coved the Browns since I think forever. He is an excellent writer and does a great job. He got fired by the daily paper, The Plain Dealer (rocky Horror trivia there) when he didn't deserve to be. It was over a slipped tweet that he thought was private and he was offering his opinion of then owner Lerner.

Anyway he is better than the guys we have covering the Rams, though Shane has some promise, and I wanted to mention that I'm glad to see he landed in an even better spot. Props to him he deserves the best.

Everyone who is a Browns fan or really a football fan knows him on sight in CLE and he is the kind of guy that if you make eye contact he will smile and wave because he is just that way.