Avery, B. Edwards, or (c) None of the Above

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Really, that's all that's left. Donnie Avery is visiting with the Jets, and I don't have a clue what Braylon Edwards is doing. Of course there's still Steve Smith (I think) out there, so the pickings are rather slim. With all of the inactivity regarding free agent wide receivers that the Rams have engaged in, it makes me believe that receiver HAS to be a top priority in the draft.

Unless, of course, you think one of those dudes above are being considered.

Prolly not.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Personally, I would bring both of them (Avery, Edwards) in for at least a tryout! What do the Rams have to lose (I doubt either one of them would be very expensive to sign and the Rams do NEED some receivers!)? If the Rams did end up signing them and they end up getting some better WR's through the draft, FA or trade they can always let them go or trade them later.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
whos the wr/punt returner from the whiners, isnt he still avail?

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Re:

interference said:
whos the wr/punt returner from the whiners, isnt he still avail?

Ted Ginn. Hes out there doing visits. Very inconsistent hands tho.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Braylon Edwards and/or Jerricho Cotchery (shout-out to ljramsfan for bringing their names up on Twitter).

These are 2 players that know the offense well. Edwards will be 29 when the season rolls around, Cotchery will be 30.

I have no idea what happened to Edwards in SF last year, and he waited quite awhile to sign with them after the lockout ended, which really suprised me because I thought he made major improvements his 2nd year with the Jets. He still has the inconsistent hands, hes had the off-field concerns, but id still take a shot on him.

Cotchery played in Schotty's offense from 2006-2010. Would be nice to bring him in so he can help teach the offense to the other players. Didnt do much with the Steelers last year (16 catches/237 yards/2 TDs). His best seasons with the Jets were in 06 and 07 (164 catches/2,091 yards/8 TDs) but his stats have declined each season since then.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'd be good with Edwards and Cotchery as long as they come cheap enough to cut in an instance. One might flare for us.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I might be willing to sign Avery on the cheap, just because he's had experience catching balls from Sam (albeit in training camp and practice). He can stretch the field at least somewhat, and if Schottenheimer runs a Coryell vertical offense (even if it's run-first) we will need to stretch the field a least a little bit. But, I'd rather take my chances in the draft.

As far as Edwards...too many drops and we already have enough receivers with hands issues.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit always ends poorly .

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
When I first saw this I thought hell to the no. But the more I thought about it I realized that right now DX and Gibson are the starters at the X and Y. Maybe Salas or Pettis once his suspension is over can move out side and still be effective, or not.

Sure there's the draft, but if Blackmon is gone or not the target at #6 free agency has shown us this year WR's are at premium. If a run on them happens and trading back into the 1st to high then when the Rams 2nd RD picks come up they could be left with promising but not ready to contribute right away choices at WR.

So I would revisit Avery. He was the best WR in camp the last 2 years. Even though he didn't get much playing time In Ten. last year cutting him was mistake. Especially since the Rams paid his salary all year. Till he's acl he was banged up a lot but he still played. He did make some plays for the Rams in his 2 years. Revisit the Saints game in 09 as a indicator of what he can do. I would like to see him play with a QB like Bradford that has a cannon for a arm. Not with the ghost of Bulger, Null and the rest.
Whether he sucks or not defenses will have to respect his speed. Yes his hands can be shaky and yes he gets banged up, but might be one of the better ,cheap options out there.

Edwards likes to look like a football player and tell his friends he's one....he just doesn't want to get on the field and act like one.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Edwards probably has worse hands than Avery.

This is how I think the Rams will play it.

Step 1. Will will sign Danny Amendola, Sam's number one receiver.

Step 2. We will trade for someone's #2 or #3 receiver, kind of like Mark Clayton.

Step 3. We will draft a receiver in Rd. 2 or 3 in this draft and he will be asked to play immediately. Like Torrey Smith, a one dimensional speed demon, he will take the top off the defense. He can develop during the season(s).

Step 4. We will draft a 3rd to 5th round change of pace back who can catch the ball from the backfield and the slot.

This will give Bradford plenty of toys to play with.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Nice toilet, Donnie (his twitter avatar):
https://twitter.com/#!/donnieavery

image.jpg