Author's Edward Jones Dome Experience Ranks Last/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Author's dome experience leaves a lot to be desired
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_f91480e3-b257-5bcc-97fa-8ff5b9b36fac.html

Earlier this week, the St. Louis Zoo was ranked the third-best zoo in the country, and the fourth-best in the world. As the Tweeters would say: #StLcivicpride.

Now come this via the newly-released book, "The Ultimate Football Road Trip." The Edward Jones Dome doesn't, uh, rank quite that high among NFL venues.

Author Sean MacDonald, who's from Ottawa, Canada, but now lives in New York, drove to all 31 NFL venues over a four-month period last season. (He visited MetLife Stadium twice _ once to watch the Jets play and once to take in a Giants game.)

When all was said and done in MacDonald's 20,000 mile trek, he rated watching a Rams game at the dome. . . .dead last.

"For the rankings, I'm really looking primarily at the stadium and the game-day experience that I had," MacDonald said.

Timing was everything in this instance, because the game MacDonald attended in St. Louis was easily the team's worst home showing of the season _ a 35-11 Thursday night loss to San Francisco on Sept. 26.

"It was just a bad game, and they tried that 'white-out' thing and that failed," MacDonald said. "Fans were supposed to wear white; the Rams wore their road whites at home. It didn't really work well because the 'Niners wear red, and the Edward Jones Dome seats are all red. There were more than a few 49ers fans as well.

"Beyond the fact that the game wasn't very good, I found the pregame party outside the dome was like lame compared to a lot of the other ones. I expected a lot more energy. But it just didn't seem like the fans were into it. I know last year was a tough year for the Rams. The last few years, in fact."

(Try the last decade.)

"And then inside, the fans were mostly gone by the third quarter," MacDonald continued. "One thing I mentioned in the book specifically is I saw a dead cockroach near one of the concession stands, so I found that to be rather unappetizing. So I didn't eat there."

MacDonald did find some plusses during his visit to Our Town.

"I love St. Louis," he said. "I've been to St. Louis many, many times. It's a great city. The St. Louis downtown I like. There's a lot of good restaurants around and bars that I visited while I was there. I like the fact that you can take transit to the game.

"Busch Stadium is one of the most beautiful ballparks out there. I happened to see a game there, fortunately. The Cards had an afternoon game there the day before (the Rams-49ers) and I got a free ticket to that from a generous fan."

As for football in the dome, MacDonald said: "I think an outdoor stadium would be a bit nicer. The dome is quite old. There's not a lot of the bells and whistles that you have in the newer places.

"So that I think factors into why _ and what happened in that particular game with the crowd and that sort of thing _ why that ended up having them (ranked) down at the end."

No surprise here, but Lambeau Field, home of the Green Bay Packers was ranked first in his tour.

MacDonald actually has been to all 122 venues in North America's "big four" professional sports: the NFL, Major League Baseball, the NBA, and the NHL.

"The Ultimate Football Road Trip" is available in e-book form for $4.99 on Amazon.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I was down for the final home game of 2012, a loss to the Vikings. I loved the pre-game atmosphere and thought it was a pretty cool experience overall.
Some of the fans dipped out in the 3rd, the Queens had developed a pretty good cushion at that point, but it was a pretty entertaining 4th and the fans around us stuck with it.
Now I guess I don't have much to compare my experience too, but I look forward to making the trek again.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Not shocking, I think we all know the venue needs to be updated fast. People are lying to themselves when they say it's not needed or not that bad. City needs to just get it done and get the guys a good home.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Tbh I just want a seat to sit on some bear to sip on and watch this beautiful game. I've been to Arizona and St. Louis and been to both stadiums. I was too excited and too into the game to notice anything else

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Well I love the dome. It's the only pro stadium I've been to, though lol. I will be attending the KC game. Not sure how nice it is.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Tbh I just want a seat to sit on some bear to sip on and watch this beautiful game. I've been to Arizona and St. Louis and been to both stadiums. I was too excited and too into the game to notice anything else

Casual fans are the money makers. Die-hards will show up no matter what, but they don't sell out stadiums. It has to be a good experience for casual fans to keep them coming back.

cracengl

Rookie
The new stadiums have people spoiled first of all. Secondly, I know the dome does kinda suck. But the times I've been there when we were winning, I wasn't really thinking about dome quality. I think the dome in Atlanta is plenty nice, but that's not stopping them from building a new one...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The new stadiums have people spoiled first of all. Secondly, I know the dome does kinda suck. But the times I've been there when we were winning, I wasn't really thinking about dome quality. I think the dome in Atlanta is plenty nice, but that's not stopping them from building a new one...
I can only compare it to the two other stadiums I've been to. Jerry's World and The Miami Wok.

It's 1000 times better than Miami's stadium, because you bake in that thing like a confection oven.
It's 1000 times worse than Dallas' stadium, but everyone knows that.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I can only compare it to the two other stadiums I've been to. Jerry's World and The Miami Wok.

It's 1000 times better than Miami's stadium, because you bake in that thing like a confection oven.

Same thing in Tampa.

I've been in oodles of venues, out of all of them the old Municipal Stadium in CLE was the worst you could find the bathrooms without asking, just follow the scent. After that the dome is second worst. This isn't a big deal to me I'm going to watch my guys play, so if they don't serve sashimi and Sapporo I don't give a shit I go to a sushi bar for that, but ChrisW is right and we all know it. The guy who decides to drop 500 bucks to take his family once a year because it's a big deal for the kids is the guy that comes because of the flash and flair and they need lots of those guys in there with us diehards.

For those of you that have never been in a palatial venue it is more fun. That's not to say going to STL and watching Bruce catch a pass on the sideline, jump out of bounds with a few seconds left and then watching Money Wilkins kick the game winner through isn't fun. Having been there to see that I can assure you its a fucking HOOT.

But you gotta have some other stuff for the casual fans, because if they have enough fun and the team wins some of them step up and come a couple of times or buy season tickets. And I will enjoy and partake in those extras too and enjoy them as well.

Tweed335

UDFA
I suppose I agree Chris but I think bottom line is Winning. If the team is winning it will be difficult for casual fans to get tickets.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
The only pro football stadium I ever been to was Gillette. (The Patriots stadium. They were playing the Rams.) I wasn't impressed. I thought it was small and kind of basic. I live in Texas now about an hour from Dallas. I'm curious to see what that stadium is like.

cracengl

Rookie

I can compare it to Atlanta and Tampa. Neither of those are really new enough to really notice that much of a difference. In Tampa, I still had to hike 3 miles straight up and got rained on. Atlanta was a Falcons and Bears game, so I napped some.

As for the tailgating, I can't blame that on the dome. They just don't have a lot of space to do it down there. That's why I hope any new stadium in downtown opens new downtown space by getting rid of old buildings, or utilizes somewhere with a lot of undeveloped land.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I wasn't impressed back in 96 when I went there! It was dark then, too. :LOL: