Austin Pettis..

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
He's not a Jeff Fisher guy, simple. Same reason we'll be keeping Cook and letting Kendricks walk at the end of the season.
And he can't become a Fisher guy? that's projecting ,if Kendricks "walks " it will be because someone wanted to pay him too much for us to fit him in ,Saffold wasn't a Fisher guy,we offered what he was worth in our view, Further IF someone displaces Kendricks ,it wouldn't be Cook their roles are so different as to make that proposition.....................unimaginable.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
sounds similar to Salas too....where's he now?
I don't think anyone said Salas would be highly coveted. Because, let's face it ... he didn't amass any significant body of work. Pettis, on the other hand, has production that NFL GMs can actually look at in many different situations. I'm curious why you think Pettis is such a scrub. I mean you're entitled to your opinion, but what has he done that makes you think he can't be a role player for any other team similar to his role here? A guy who drops 5 'catchable' balls out of 111 targets isn't someone teams would immediately dismiss as a potential contributor.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Funny ... I heard the same exact thing said about Gibson.
And? You said Pettis wouldn't start for 31 other teams, and I said I heard the same thing said about Gibson when he was here. Gibson signed a pretty big free agent deal with the Dolphins almost immediately. How does some B/R writer's speculative article about his future there invalidate my opinion?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Pettis is a solid possession receiver.
What he lacks in speed, he more than makes up for in toughness. He has very good hands, and most importantly, Bradford's trust.
He does a great job in the red zone when things get tight.
He's a pure football player.

Btw. Good to see you made it over here TX.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
granted, i came over from the Rams Talk forums and we all know the sh*t talking that goes on there.
so, maybe ROD doesn't share the same ideas as they do over there, and maybe this argument isn't relevant here.
but today i got to thinking, what's the knock on Austin Pettis?
sure he doesn't have elite speed, isn't a "playmaker" or game changer.
but what the dude DOES have is size, ability to catch almost everything thrown his way and runs pretty decent routes.
yet he always seems to be the odd man out at WR when fans speak of him.
so...what is it? maybe i'm in the minority, but come cut time, i'd rather keep him over Givens.
Love pettis. Some guys just won't be superstars despite the hard work and love for the game, but the guy is very reliable when it comes to third downs, red zone attempts, and just making much needed grabs. Every team needs that. Givens only adage over pettis is his deep speed, but it sounds like quick, Britt, and cook all have been getting deep lately. Give me an old reliable.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
If Pettis was cut today. He wouldn't start on 31 other NFL teams.....I doubt he'd be in the rotation....People were hyped about Salas too, and I knew if he got cut here (actually ended up traded I think) he'd never play any role again. As I often say, we got the wrong guy from Boise.....

Why does a player have to start to have value? Situational players are more valuable than ever. You don't think there's a team that might want to improve their red zone package?

And the wrong guy from Boise? I know you're not referring to Titus Young.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
A guy who drops 5 'catchable' balls out of 111 targets isn't someone teams would immediately dismiss as a potential contributor.

It's funny how some people complain about our receivers not holding on to the ball, and here we have the total opposite, a guy who can catch the football, and people want to cut him?! We have room for Pettis.

As I've said many times before, I'd rather see us march down field with 4 yard completions off run and dink passes into the red zone than balls out passes down field that could get picked off, keep our defense fresh legged for when the opposition get the ball back from a kickoff post Rams TD ;)

reggae

False. Pettis splits his reps between the Y and X/Z spots almost equally. Which means he's versatile enough to line up wherever you want him and he'll know what to do and where to be. Which means he knows the whole playbook. My contention with your original post in this thread was that he's a 3 or 5 yard receiver who falls down and has *no* ability to get behind a defense, so I just gave you 4 videos where that wasn't the case (e.g., not remotely accurate). You also saw him notice that the QB was scrambling and got open (scramble drill).

Look, I know he's not the most athletically gifted guy on the team, but he's absolutely the most rounded. And if the QB of the team directly states that it's Pettis who he has the most trust in, then how can he be so bad? He's tied for the most TDs on this team over the past two years, so he's doing something right. And if he gets unseated by someone like Quick or Bailey, then that's fine too. But *until* one of them is able to do that, then you don't throw out the baby with the bath water.
So far this year, Pettis is never even mentioned. Last year at this time he was getting more praises than the rest of the receiving corps combined. It seems the coaching staff really like Blake and TJ Moe. Moe might be able to go to the practice squad. I don't believe Blake is eligible w/out going through waivers. It would not surprise me one iota if the Rams try to showcase Pettis or Givens in search of a possible trade.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Why does a player have to start to have value? Situational players are more valuable than ever. You don't think there's a team that might want to improve their red zone package?

And the wrong guy from Boise? I know you're not referring to Titus Young.
Hey doesn't. But today's salary cap basically makes it cost most effective to replace situational players with rookies....simple economics.....

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I don't think anyone said Salas would be highly coveted. Because, let's face it ... he didn't amass any significant body of work. Pettis, on the other hand, has production that NFL GMs can actually look at in many different situations. I'm curious why you think Pettis is such a scrub. I mean you're entitled to your opinion, but what has he done that makes you think he can't be a role player for any other team similar to his role here? A guy who drops 5 'catchable' balls out of 111 targets isn't someone teams would immediately dismiss as a potential contributor.
More that the old regime seemed to target possession wrs. And in todays NFL, that type of player is typically replaced with younger, less expensive wrs. I don't think Pettis should be cut/traded or in any way leave this team before his contract expires. But I do think, if he was released, he would NOT be missed. My one major hang-up, he seems to have trouble getting open and has been given his chance (Givens too), might as well see what some others can do.