Austin against the Colts ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Rams will have multi-threat Tavon Austin at their disposal against the Colts
Gary KleinContact Reporter

Some optimism was well-founded, some apparently not.

For more than a month, Rams coach Sean McVay had expressed confidence that receiver Tavon Austin and defensive lineman Aaron Donald would be available to play in Sunday’s opener against the Indianapolis Colts at the Coliseum.

Austin recovered from a hamstring injury and will play, McVay said Friday.

Donald, however, remains absent because of a contract dispute.

Throughout the week, McVay declined to rule out the three time Pro Bowl player for the opener. He finally ended the gamesmanship on Friday.

“We’re still trying to find a way to come to a solution,” McVay said, “but it’s safe to say that he won’t be a part of this game.”

Austin could play several roles for a team that conducted an offseason overhaul of the receiving corps.

It began during free agency with the departures of Kenny Britt and Brian Quick, and the signing of Robert Woods. It continued through the draft with the selection of Cooper Kupp and Josh Reynolds. A training camp trade for deep threat Sammy Watkins provided an exclamation point.

Austin, who signed a 4 year, $42mil. extension before the 2016 season, was sidelined throughout off-season workouts while recovering from wrist surgery. He sat out nearly all of training camp because of a hamstring injury. He returned to practice in a limited role before the final preseason game at Green Bay, and then participated in a full-speed pregame workout with other skill-position players at Lambeau Field.

He was a full participant in practice this week.

“We’re excited to have him back,” McVay said.

McVay would not specify how the 5-foot-8, 179-pound Austin will be deployed, but he could line up wide or in the slot as a receiver, or in the backfield as a running back or receiver. He also is expected to return punts.

“When the coaches call my number, I’ll just be ready,” said Austin, who has scored 12 touchdowns on passes, eight on runs and three on punt returns.

When McVay and his new staff arrived in January, the receiver group was “a little bit of a question mark,” offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur said.

But that group is now regarded as multidimensional, and Austin’s return adds to the mix.

“When you get the guy that, again, is explosive as Tavon, that has that home-run capability, it definitely gives you a lot of just some favorable matchups out there,” LaFleur said.

Now it gets real
Seven of the eight players the Rams selected in this year’s draft could play against the Colts.

Kupp, tight end Gerald Everett and defensive lineman Tanzel Smart are expected to either start or play a significant number of snaps.

Reynolds, safety John Johnson and linebackers Samson Ebukam and Ejuan Price also might contribute on offense, defense or special teams.

Fullback Sam Rogers is on the practice squad and will not play.

Everett, a second-round pick, is looking forward to his first regular-season NFL game.

“First and foremost, just playing on Sunday — I’m pretty sure it’s going to be pretty surreal,” he said.

Johnson, a fourth-round draft pick, will play on special teams. He said he would be prepared for more if his name or number is called.

“I’m right next to the coach — I’m in his pocket like, ‘Whenever you need me, I’m ready,’ ” Johnson said, laughing. “He’ll probably speak like just the first letter and I’m already running out there.

“So I’m ready.”

Etc.
The Rams listed no players on the injury report. McVay credited the athletic training staff, the strength and conditioning staff and players for managing injuries in the run-up to the opener. “The ultimate goal in mind was being able to have guys ready to go for Sept. 10, and that’s where we’re at right now,” McVay said. ... Sunday’s game at the Coliseum follows the USC-Stanford game on Saturday. This will be one of three times the Rams play the day after a Trojans home game.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder if they are going to be conservative with Austin. I have a feeling they might even though mcvay said hes ready.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
As a stand back (that means I'm loyal, honest yet cautious lol) fan I would be ecstatic to see TayAwesome11 of all to light it up. Yet, isn't he past due? I think so. Dude would be insane to see glide right by DB's, like an (overpaid WR) prophecy flowing jet speed over natural grass, yard chalked by 10 yard increments that barely see a blink come Sunday and dedicate a TD celebration out to @LACHAMP46 for kicks . :yay:

Is there a :death: TA11 dominant against Colts past this Sunday afternoon ? I firmly believe so.

(And yes, I'm wasted on Ramsondemand.com at 3:33am my time)

Last edited:

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I wonder if they are going to be conservative with Austin. I have a feeling they might even though mcvay said hes ready.

maybe im wrong but I thought not playing him all preseason was them being conservative. Thought I remember McVay or Tavon saying he woulda have played if they were regular season games

FRO

Legend
I think it's going to take him a few weeks. He basically missed all of training camp. It's going to take time to get used to the new system.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I literally can't wait to see how they will use him. I bet he won't be running back towards the qb to catch the ball. Man he had such dullards for offensive coaches his 5 years in the league.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I hope he isn't used in the same way, if he can not find a way to create separation and make people miss, we must move on from him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope he isn't used in the same way, if he can not find a way to create separation and make people miss, we must move on from him.

He's in his element now. He was the only real threat the rams had and thus dcs would roll all coverage towards him. He can't be the #1 wr, not that kind of receiver. Now he has legitimate threats surrounding him, the biggest being Sammy Watkins. There will be space for him and mcvay will put him in situations to use his other worldly explosive speed.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like Austin for a punt return for a Touchdown along with a TD on a Jet Sweep great scheme for Tavon and he now proves how electric he truly is.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think Austin should be used just like he was in 2015, but with a smaller workload. Somewhere between 25%-50% fewer targets/touches.
The only "different" way I would like to see Austin used is to have him run some deeep routes early and often. The big plays downfield will come but even if they cant connect, the threat of his speed should put opposing DBs on their heels instead of on their toes.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams can come at defenses with so many weapons this year - Watkins, Kupp, Gurley, Woods, Everett, Reynolds -- all making it easy on Austin to break-out since the defense can't key on him anymore. The only thing holding Austin back is the amount of touches he can wrestle from these other guys.

Good problem to have.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
... Sunday’s game at the Coliseum follows the USC-Stanford game on Saturday. This will be one of three times the Rams play the day after a Trojans home game.
So what does this^^ have to do with anything!?! Possible Field condition?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
With numerous other good Ram Targets, on the field at the same time, I think this will put Tavon in a position to get separation!(y);):D

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I hope they use him, I don't want to just see a $40 million dollar punt returner .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams will have multi-threat Tavon Austin at their disposal against the Colts
Gary KleinContact Reporter

Some optimism was well-founded, some apparently not.

For more than a month, Rams coach Sean McVay had expressed confidence that receiver Tavon Austin and defensive lineman Aaron Donald would be available to play in Sunday’s opener against the Indianapolis Colts at the Coliseum.

Austin recovered from a hamstring injury and will play, McVay said Friday.

Donald, however, remains absent because of a contract dispute.

Throughout the week, McVay declined to rule out the three time Pro Bowl player for the opener. He finally ended the gamesmanship on Friday.

“We’re still trying to find a way to come to a solution,” McVay said, “but it’s safe to say that he won’t be a part of this game.”

Austin could play several roles for a team that conducted an offseason overhaul of the receiving corps.

It began during free agency with the departures of Kenny Britt and Brian Quick, and the signing of Robert Woods. It continued through the draft with the selection of Cooper Kupp and Josh Reynolds. A training camp trade for deep threat Sammy Watkins provided an exclamation point.

Austin, who signed a 4 year, $42mil. extension before the 2016 season, was sidelined throughout off-season workouts while recovering from wrist surgery. He sat out nearly all of training camp because of a hamstring injury. He returned to practice in a limited role before the final preseason game at Green Bay, and then participated in a full-speed pregame workout with other skill-position players at Lambeau Field.

He was a full participant in practice this week.

“We’re excited to have him back,” McVay said.

McVay would not specify how the 5-foot-8, 179-pound Austin will be deployed, but he could line up wide or in the slot as a receiver, or in the backfield as a running back or receiver. He also is expected to return punts.

“When the coaches call my number, I’ll just be ready,” said Austin, who has scored 12 touchdowns on passes, eight on runs and three on punt returns.

When McVay and his new staff arrived in January, the receiver group was “a little bit of a question mark,” offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur said.

But that group is now regarded as multidimensional, and Austin’s return adds to the mix.

“When you get the guy that, again, is explosive as Tavon, that has that home-run capability, it definitely gives you a lot of just some favorable matchups out there,” LaFleur said.

Now it gets real
Seven of the eight players the Rams selected in this year’s draft could play against the Colts.

Kupp, tight end Gerald Everett and defensive lineman Tanzel Smart are expected to either start or play a significant number of snaps.

Reynolds, safety John Johnson and linebackers Samson Ebukam and Ejuan Price also might contribute on offense, defense or special teams.

Fullback Sam Rogers is on the practice squad and will not play.

Everett, a second-round pick, is looking forward to his first regular-season NFL game.

“First and foremost, just playing on Sunday — I’m pretty sure it’s going to be pretty surreal,” he said.

Johnson, a fourth-round draft pick, will play on special teams. He said he would be prepared for more if his name or number is called.

“I’m right next to the coach — I’m in his pocket like, ‘Whenever you need me, I’m ready,’ ” Johnson said, laughing. “He’ll probably speak like just the first letter and I’m already running out there.

“So I’m ready.”

Etc.
The Rams listed no players on the injury report. McVay credited the athletic training staff, the strength and conditioning staff and players for managing injuries in the run-up to the opener. “The ultimate goal in mind was being able to have guys ready to go for Sept. 10, and that’s where we’re at right now,” McVay said. ... Sunday’s game at the Coliseum follows the USC-Stanford game on Saturday. This will be one of three times the Rams play the day after a Trojans home game.

Johnson was a 3rd rd pick