Aug-05 Camp Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its not just the one interception I've read that passes are late and he should have way more interceptions
And passes are dropped and wrong routes are run. Point is I, and it seems many others, haven't read anything or seen anything yet to make us worry. Yet so many articles and posts make it sound like the sky is falling :D He's had 5 days of practice it's way to soon to freak out about his performance.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How does anyone gage this crap?
Ranking rookie QB's after one week of training camp, playing for three different teams?? Where are Conner Cook and Hackenberg on that list?
Stupid
Haha especially after what 4 maybe 5 days of practice? Wentz and Lynch throwing vs the 3rd team where Goff is vs the 1st and 2nd teams? Good quality take there Mr Allbright.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How does anyone gage this crap?
Ranking rookie QB's after one week of training camp, playing for three different teams?? Where are Conner Cook and Hackenberg on that list?
Stupid
I think it's one guy that has his take on a rookie QB, right or wrong, and the rest parrott his take.....I really think this happens a lot, because reporters are lazy MOFO's!:redcard:

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
My observations of the video.

• Defense looks fast. I wouldnt want to go across the middle with Mo and TJ playing safety
  • Higbee is a beast they line him up everywhere. Really wanted him the draft glad we got him
  • Mike Thomas steady ascension continues getting reps with the 1s and making plays
  • Marquez starting slot WR for now, but im sure pharoh is hot on his heels
  • Could Quick start over Britt? I wouldn't rule it out

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
It just gets so damned old! We're having a nice talk about the days training camp then somebody has to go and be a monkey flinging poo in the zoo for no damned reason at all.

LOLOLOL.
The title of that video makes it seem like she was screaming first, so that the monkey/ape decided he had to fling it. But in reality she's screaming (and rightfully so) BECAUSE some poop came at her at 95 mph! :)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This guy has video highlights of every camp practice so go check his channel out on youtube

One thing I noticed with this particular video, says it's from day 5, I saw 1 play where I would've been mad at what GRob did. That was the end around from Tavon, GRob just kinda ran 5 yards down field and stood there when the run was designed to come to his side. Other than that he did good on every block. Also noticed #72 Pace Murphy was in there for the #2's it looked like at LT.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Its not just the one interception I've read that passes are late and he should have way more interceptions

We were discussing in our section how IF you were to take the numbers off the QBs and watch them the guy you would think is the rookie is Mannion. Goff is very measured and confident and in most of his snaps smooth with his decision making and of the three the only one who routinely makes the time to look downfield; if a nice pass goes mid to further range it's usually Goff. The occasional INT would plague the others I think IF they were looking downfield and across the middle more often, because this defense is fast and knows what they are doing.

In yesterday's practice there were probably 3x or so where I chuckled and said something along the lines of "welcome to the NFL rookie." Other than that you just wouldn't know he was a rook based on his demeanor. I think he is going to make the doubters look pretty silly, personally. And I think the team knows it too, not just the offense.

My guess is the kid will light Dallas up by the time they play that game. And he'll probably make a mistake or two that will be trotted out there on social media but that's ok. I just don't see any way he's not running this offense soon as the starter, whether it's game 1 or game 3 or so.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
They tell us the only rule is we can't take video at Rams camp... then there is this clown.
I like being able to watch video since I can't be there but it's probably a bad idea to have posted it on the net where anyone can see it. Something like this leads to the team banning all cameras and phones.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Defense looks fast. I wouldnt want to go across the middle with Mo and TJ playing safety
  • Higbee is a beast they line him up everywhere. Really wanted him the draft glad we got him

Yeah man people just forget the defense is going to win too, and our defense flies around and swarms and are in the offensive backfield a lot.

Higbee in the video there's one snap where you see how physical he is, where two DBs hit him and he's still like whatever. In the drills and scrimmage every time the ball comes his way he reels it in smooth, and he's so big defenses are gonna have to tee off on him to make him feel hits. Of all the players yesterday outside of Gurley and Tavon he was the one that most impressed me.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This guy has video highlights of every camp practice so go check his channel out on youtube
I almost forgot about him....he puts them up fast too...He seems pretty close. I doubt the team doesn't know he's filming....IDK...

Anybody got a clue who's #41? Outstanding int on one play...

Last edited:

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Ok so got back late after a post-practice stop that was in truth a derailment at Hooters. Had a great time, so from the top I gotta give the Rams org props on setting up a really fine venue. Picked up some gear for the kids, looked around and wished there was a beer stand, but learned later in practice why there is no beer stand which I'll cover in a moment.

First off watched the QBs doing all manner of basic drills. Handoffs, footwork, even making throws over the crossbar to each other I suppose to ensure the right arc is there I don't know. Got bored though, and will only note what everyone knows, which is that Keenum has some athleticism to him, Goff is incredibly light on his feet, and Mannion is a bit plodding in comparison to them.

I was very relieved to see Cooper out there. Watched him quite a bit with all the other WRs as they did their drills and then as they moved into the scrimmage, and he looked smooth with good hands, just as advertised. I presume the time he missed set him back a bit, and he didn't really stand out in a busting big plays kind of way or anything. But he is very bold in traffic and across the middle for a small dude, which is also not news to anyone here.

So right off the top what I saw was a defense that was bringin it. The offense made some plays that were impressive like Goff's beautiful pass down the middle that was on point, and they won some in the redzone, but looking a bit deeper at things many of the passes would have had some "blown up" receivers. TJ made some hits today that he did not follow through on, where he was in position to lay dudes the F out and he was not the only one. The secondary closed fast and swarmed, and the front seven was in the offensive backfield a lot. I think Fish was real happy with how the defense looked.

Back to the offense the protections were breaking down a reasonable amount as the DL in particular were going hard. There were quite a few passes that would not have gotten out of the pocket without that red jersey on the QB. I watched GRob struggle a couple times on edge rush (still his greatest weakness) and also do well, and across the OL it was much the same and I thought very good back and forth competition between the units. This is going to sound ridiculous, too, but it seemed like Keenum got more heat than Goff, and have no idea whether it's the line blocking being better when Goff was in there, the DL being afraid to hurt the #1 draft pick, or whatever. Goff did get swarmed quickly a couple times, like when he dropped to his knees it would have been a very fast sack in a live game so taking the sack and living to throw another day was a good decision by him vice forcing something. The dude who yelled that was probably the same one who yelled some other idiotic things, and our section was crackin jokes about how dudes like him are the reason why we can't have an effin beer truck.

The receivers overall had a good day I thought. Thomas is just, well, as someone said the other day about him "he belongs." Really the best way to put it. The dude straight stands out in that he's very big, and is already playing fast in this system. His feet are really quick, which is something to see with a guy his size. And Quick, man. I gotta admit the dude is looking great, he's like a different receiver from the one I've seen drop everything and run the wrong routes. Marquez goes 100% every single route and is showing good hands and body control, same exact thing with Spruce. Watched coach Groh doing the tennis ball routine with them midpoint and I continue to feel like this is an entirely different group of receivers now, where all of a sudden they all have solid to good hands. It's weird man. I mean today Britt had a focus drop, but overall he's movin and catching things and it just seems like an insane turnaround as an entire group so it will be interesting to see if it carries over to preseason games. I am REALLY looking forward to seeing that.

The TEs are similar to the above as well in that this group straight catches the ball now with good hands as a unit. Higbee is just downright ridiculous. The dude is huge, has a big catch radius, moves like a WR, and just makes whoever throws him the ball look great. Watched him in drills with Thompson throwing the ball I think it was, and he reels the catch in smoothly before having a couple DBs who due to his size get just as good as they gave on the hits. Kendricks looks so much more consistent too, but when you watch these guys live it's just not even a comparison in terms of imagining who's gonna add what to this passing game.

Run game had some good moments but it's just too hard to tell whether the back would be down if they were playing for real. The D as I mentioned was bringin it, but it did seem like they're aware they don't want to be wrapping Gurley up and driving him to the ground like they would in a game. But still, the dude is so damn good he just makes it look easy. Aaron Green in both phases flashed and is really busting his butt to make this roster. Had a really nice run but the pass he caught was more impressive and like all the good catches I saw today had the crowd appreciation going.

So last but not least the QBs. Here's where I differ from a lot of what I read tweet-wise. The sack and the moron yelling whatever he yelled don't matter as I was very pleased overall with Goff's play. He put up a couple "rookie" throws but also put that ball down the field in the face of the rush with calmness which is far more important and far more telling as to what to expect from him throughout the remainder of camp into preseason. Watching his snaps directly against Keenum's snaps and it's not like Goff is suffering by comparison to my eye. Keenum made some nice throws but most of his are short ranged and/or checkdowns, he's really the same guy I saw get overwhelmed by the whiners late last year. He made one redzone throw on a full run to the right and across his body for a scary TD but it's one I wouldn't want to see him attempt again. Goff in the redzone is an assassin. Dude was droppin dimes on the corner route and across the middle for a TD (at least I think that one was from him to Higbee had a lady chatting with us that was a big distraction).

Tried to download it while I remember it still. Bottom line is this practice only served to boost my excitement about this offense. This team has some significant difference maker type players and we might be witnessing many elements finally coming together on the offensive side of the ball.

Outstanding report Merlin.. Thanks for writing up a summary. I know you tell it like it is (no sugarcoating)

orsonclapping.gif~c200

-JZiykc9fTbZs7MT1fR_tgRtC2tPO5NWNpJm-y4wz2c7S-UkxBJJR33F4owU7rnuGp0Gpiw=s170

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yeah could be right. How about Copper though ??
-- I seems like Mike Thomas can do it all though. He is still working hard to get better. His attitude is excellent. Liked his interview on The Rams site. He talks about how he was playing to fast.
Heard very good things about Cooper throughout, but I haven't seen him much. Cooper was my favorite pick in this draft besides Goff, although, I really like the Higbee pick too. I think we won this draft, even though naysayers are saying we gave up too much. We may have walked away with two contributors at WR, a starting flex TE, and a RB who might contribute.

Earning a WR spot will be tough, but I think we have a lot of talent there, for the first time in a long time.

@LACHAMP46 #41 is the rookie, Jabriel Washington, he's from Bama, and has already had a couple of picks.

Last edited:

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
I love to hear that the Defense is playing fast and that they are throwing complex coverage schemes at Goff. Iron sharpens iron, so too will going against our D.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Heard very good things about Cooper throughout, but I haven't seen him much. Cooper was my favorite pick in this draft besides Goff, although, I really like the Higbee pick too. I think we won this draft, even though naysayers are saying we gave up too much. We may have walked away with two contributors at WR, a starting flex TE, and a RB who might contribute.

Earning a WR spot will be tough, but I think we have a lot of talent there, for the first time in a long time.

@LACHAMP46 #41 is the rookie, Jabriel Washington, he's from Bama, and has already had a couple of picks.

-- My whole thing on drafts are to trade back first.There are exceptions.
1. To get a young franchise QB. You take that risk,but trust your scouting.

2. Is finding late rd picks. If your scouting does well in the late rds it can really elevate your franchise.

---The Rams(Snisher) has added an element Indon't think I've ever seen before maybe( Pitt. & Baltimore) have done things similar.
They have drafted in groupings by position of needs.
1. They trust there board
2.They go back for insurance
3.They strengthen the postion of need
4.Creatates friendly competition
5.Find the strength of the draft
6.Helps find a jem

--JJ & Tru. Quick - Givens
-- Tavon & Bailey
---Joyner-Alexander-Gaines--Bryant
---Hav--Brown--Donnal--Wichmann
---Higbee & Hemmingway. Copper & Thomas

As Ram fans should notice how they have tried to improve the WR core. If you go back to Re-Draft they have gone very well. Even with Quick he was still a solid draft pick.(will see,but he is still in the league & might be ready to peak ?)

Every 1st rd pick has been solid, (G.Rob).I think the trade up for Tavon & Joyner were reaches,but trusted there scouts.Think Greg Robinson pick should have been the pick that kept on giving.
---Fisher closed the books
---Then cost The Rams the playoff chance last season(Redskin game Karma).
---Gaines & Wichmann make there drafting style exceptional !!
---The depth at The DB position was in perfect timing.-Next player up !!!
-------Part of GREAT(scouting) is building the foundation within & getting supplemental player while not losing
Quality of a player.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
And passes are dropped and wrong routes are run. Point is I, and it seems many others, haven't read anything or seen anything yet to make us worry. Yet so many articles and posts make it sound like the sky is falling :D He's had 5 days of practice it's way to soon to freak out about his performance.
My observation would also be this ... Rams 2nd team DL is waaaayyyyy better than the Rams 2nd team OL, no? I mean ... is Keenums pocket, #1 WR's and such better than Goff's #2's? I mean Easly, Cam thomas, Westbrooks, Coples/Sims ....they can pretty much (and have) started in this league. .... IDK ... just a thought

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Ok so got back late after a post-practice stop that was in truth a derailment at Hooters. Had a great time, so from the top I gotta give the Rams org props on setting up a really fine venue. Picked up some gear for the kids, looked around and wished there was a beer stand, but learned later in practice why there is no beer stand which I'll cover in a moment.

First off watched the QBs doing all manner of basic drills. Handoffs, footwork, even making throws over the crossbar to each other I suppose to ensure the right arc is there I don't know. Got bored though, and will only note what everyone knows, which is that Keenum has some athleticism to him, Goff is incredibly light on his feet, and Mannion is a bit plodding in comparison to them.

I was very relieved to see Cooper out there. Watched him quite a bit with all the other WRs as they did their drills and then as they moved into the scrimmage, and he looked smooth with good hands, just as advertised. I presume the time he missed set him back a bit, and he didn't really stand out in a busting big plays kind of way or anything. But he is very bold in traffic and across the middle for a small dude, which is also not news to anyone here.

So right off the top what I saw was a defense that was bringin it. The offense made some plays that were impressive like Goff's beautiful pass down the middle that was on point, and they won some in the redzone, but looking a bit deeper at things many of the passes would have had some "blown up" receivers. TJ made some hits today that he did not follow through on, where he was in position to lay dudes the F out and he was not the only one. The secondary closed fast and swarmed, and the front seven was in the offensive backfield a lot. I think Fish was real happy with how the defense looked.

Back to the offense the protections were breaking down a reasonable amount as the DL in particular were going hard. There were quite a few passes that would not have gotten out of the pocket without that red jersey on the QB. I watched GRob struggle a couple times on edge rush (still his greatest weakness) and also do well, and across the OL it was much the same and I thought very good back and forth competition between the units. This is going to sound ridiculous, too, but it seemed like Keenum got more heat than Goff, and have no idea whether it's the line blocking being better when Goff was in there, the DL being afraid to hurt the #1 draft pick, or whatever. Goff did get swarmed quickly a couple times, like when he dropped to his knees it would have been a very fast sack in a live game so taking the sack and living to throw another day was a good decision by him vice forcing something. The dude who yelled that was probably the same one who yelled some other idiotic things, and our section was crackin jokes about how dudes like him are the reason why we can't have an effin beer truck.

The receivers overall had a good day I thought. Thomas is just, well, as someone said the other day about him "he belongs." Really the best way to put it. The dude straight stands out in that he's very big, and is already playing fast in this system. His feet are really quick, which is something to see with a guy his size. And Quick, man. I gotta admit the dude is looking great, he's like a different receiver from the one I've seen drop everything and run the wrong routes. Marquez goes 100% every single route and is showing good hands and body control, same exact thing with Spruce. Watched coach Groh doing the tennis ball routine with them midpoint and I continue to feel like this is an entirely different group of receivers now, where all of a sudden they all have solid to good hands. It's weird man. I mean today Britt had a focus drop, but overall he's movin and catching things and it just seems like an insane turnaround as an entire group so it will be interesting to see if it carries over to preseason games. I am REALLY looking forward to seeing that.

The TEs are similar to the above as well in that this group straight catches the ball now with good hands as a unit. Higbee is just downright ridiculous. The dude is huge, has a big catch radius, moves like a WR, and just makes whoever throws him the ball look great. Watched him in drills with Thompson throwing the ball I think it was, and he reels the catch in smoothly before having a couple DBs who due to his size get just as good as they gave on the hits. Kendricks looks so much more consistent too, but when you watch these guys live it's just not even a comparison in terms of imagining who's gonna add what to this passing game.

Run game had some good moments but it's just too hard to tell whether the back would be down if they were playing for real. The D as I mentioned was bringin it, but it did seem like they're aware they don't want to be wrapping Gurley up and driving him to the ground like they would in a game. But still, the dude is so damn good he just makes it look easy. Aaron Green in both phases flashed and is really busting his butt to make this roster. Had a really nice run but the pass he caught was more impressive and like all the good catches I saw today had the crowd appreciation going.

So last but not least the QBs. Here's where I differ from a lot of what I read tweet-wise. The sack and the moron yelling whatever he yelled don't matter as I was very pleased overall with Goff's play. He put up a couple "rookie" throws but also put that ball down the field in the face of the rush with calmness which is far more important and far more telling as to what to expect from him throughout the remainder of camp into preseason. Watching his snaps directly against Keenum's snaps and it's not like Goff is suffering by comparison to my eye. Keenum made some nice throws but most of his are short ranged and/or checkdowns, he's really the same guy I saw get overwhelmed by the whiners late last year. He made one redzone throw on a full run to the right and across his body for a scary TD but it's one I wouldn't want to see him attempt again. Goff in the redzone is an assassin. Dude was droppin dimes on the corner route and across the middle for a TD (at least I think that one was from him to Higbee had a lady chatting with us that was a big distraction).

Tried to download it while I remember it still. Bottom line is this practice only served to boost my excitement about this offense. This team has some significant difference maker type players and we might be witnessing many elements finally coming together on the offensive side of the ball.

I felt much the same reading this as I did as a teenager reading those letters in Penthouse Forum that started out with "I never thought this could happen to me, but ...."

:LOL:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We were discussing in our section how IF you were to take the numbers off the QBs and watch them the guy you would think is the rookie is Mannion. Goff is very measured and confident and in most of his snaps smooth with his decision making and of the three the only one who routinely makes the time to look downfield; if a nice pass goes mid to further range it's usually Goff. The occasional INT would plague the others I think IF they were looking downfield and across the middle more often, because this defense is fast and knows what they are doing.

In yesterday's practice there were probably 3x or so where I chuckled and said something along the lines of "welcome to the NFL rookie." Other than that you just wouldn't know he was a rook based on his demeanor. I think he is going to make the doubters look pretty silly, personally. And I think the team knows it too, not just the offense.

My guess is the kid will light Dallas up by the time they play that game. And he'll probably make a mistake or two that will be trotted out there on social media but that's ok. I just don't see any way he's not running this offense soon as the starter, whether it's game 1 or game 3 or so.

I think it's worth mentioning that the defense is going into their third year in the same scheme. The offense is learning a new scheme.(not entirely new but still new)

It's no surprise that the defense is ahead. Glad you pointed that out, Merlin. They can play fast. They know what they're doing. We have a rookie QB dealing with a bunch of guys who are also trying to learn the offense. This isn't easy for anyone.