Attention NFL players: Put away the pot (for now)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/16/attention-nfl-players-put-away-the-pot-for-now/

Attention NFL players: Put away the pot (for now)
Posted by Mike Florio on March 16, 2016

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzrkDGxZexA

"Coming into Los Angeles, bringing in a couple of keys
Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr. Agent Man." - Arlo Guthrie

Every year at this time (when I remember), I make this public service announcement to all NFL players. Put the pot away, at least for now.

The annual window for the one random test per year opens on April 20 (yes, 4/20), and it extends into August. Once the player has submitted to an annual test, the player can resume smoking marijuana absent behavior that would result in placement in the substance-abuse program, such as an arrest for possession of marijuana.

It takes roughly a month for the marijuana metabolites that show up in a drug test to exit the body in liquid form. So the safest course would be to stop now, 35 days before the testing window opens.

Why am I trying to help out players who may be smoking pot? For starters, any of them who are spending the offseason in Colorado or Washington are doing it legally. Others may have qualified for the medicinal use of it.

I also firmly believe in the rights of the individual versus the rights of the employer. No employer has a legitimate basis to prevent employees from smoking marijuana on their own time, unless the employee has a safety-sensitive job. The NFL has never tried to credibly defend its ban on marijuana by pointing to the possibility of a stoned offensive lineman missing a block and getting his quarterback blown up; the harsh, frank accountability of football keeps that kind of thing from happening.

The prohibition on marijuana use comes from a Father Knows Best approach to players, who are prevented from smoking marijuana even when they are completely away from work for months at a time in the offseason. And the league won’t be giving up that power unless the NFL Players Association makes an equivalent concession in return, within the confines of collective bargaining — even if plenty of strong arguments can be made regarding the therapeutic value of marijuana.

If a player gets arrested for possession or driving while under the influence, that’s a different story. But if a player (or any other employee) opts to smoke marijuana in the privacy of his own home, the NFL (or any other employer) shouldn’t care.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
IMO the reason that the union still allows testing for weed is because then they don't have to concede HGH testing, which the NFL wants to implement.

Half the league would be suspended and they all know it........

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
IMO the reason that the union still allows testing for weed is because then they don't have to concede HGH testing, which the NFL wants to implement.

Half the league would be suspended and they all know it........

Interesting and very insightful.

tonyl711

Starter
agree wholeheartedly, let the courts deal with them, even the court system has downgraded having less than an ounce as a misdemeanor, to take away a players money for a misdemeanor offense is just wrong IMO. beside smoking weed does not give an athlete any kind of edge.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
agree wholeheartedly, let the courts deal with them, even the court system has downgraded having less than an ounce as a misdemeanor, to take away a players money for a misdemeanor offense is just wrong IMO. beside smoking weed does not give an athlete any kind of edge.

Well if fritos have magical powers it could give them an edge.

5d953533a651e0c21d4356b8e80bf9da.jpg

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Or take the advice from a former president, "I did not inhale." :)

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
:whistle:
[GALLERY=media, 76]IMG_43199906863979 by BatteringRambo posted Mar 16, 2016 at 2:04 PM[/GALLERY]

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm a stickler for details... do girls to get high really have impeccable eye make up and perfectly tweezed eye brows?

Maybe the casual user?

I dunno. I'm ready for this issue to stop being an issue like Prohibition isn't an issue anymore...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't touch the stuff anymore. This is pretty much me on weed past the age of 40
giphy.gif

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
I don't touch the stuff anymore. This is pretty much me on weed past the age of 40
giphy.gif

The last time I smoked was about 25 years ago.Today's stuff would probably put me right there on that couch wondering WTF.

g041579

UDFA
Name
Phil
If all the players were to meet at a legal state and then fire up at a news conference, the
problem is solved. The NFL won't suspend the entire league.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If all the players were to meet at a legal state and then fire up at a news conference, the
lol. Nice.

Oh. And welcome to the ARE OH DEE.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

brirriant-kim-jong-brilliant-people-pic-1360421816.jpg