At what point to we begin to hear NFL MVP consideration for Jared Goff?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Scirca

Rookie
Jared Goff is ranked top 5 in passing yards, 2nd in the league to Tom Brady in passer rating. 1st in the league at y/pa. What does he have to do to win the MVP? Does he have to go 13-3?

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Right now I think Gurley is a more likely candidate than Goff. But Goff would definitely be in the running for comeback player of the year at the very least.

Psycho_X

Legend
Right now I think Gurley is a more likely candidate than Goff. But Goff would definitely be in the running for comeback player of the year at the very least.

Yeah Gurley is on most people's minds at the moment in the media at least. At his current pace he'd end the season with 2,384 yards from scrimmage which would put him 4th all time. Along with 28 total touchdowns. If they both keep at their current pace they will both deserve to be considered.

KayJay

Starter
Going to agree with denverram here. I think Goff should be in the discussion for comeback player of the year if he continues his good play. The guy was told by literally every media outlet out there that he was a bust. Even Eric Dickerson, a fan mouthpiece said they should give Mannion a shot over him. McVay should also be considered being coach of the year if they get to the playoffs. Because despite hearing what he should do, he went with Goff. And put all his time and effort into him. Its obviously paying off. As for Gurley and MVP considerations, after today's win he better be in the discussion.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's see where Goff is in another 8 weeks before we float MVP.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

Don’t think Goff would even qualify for comeback of the year. He’d have to have had success to get back to. He had a horrible rookie year. If he came back, he’d be horrible again? Let’s hope he doesn’t have a comeback.

Scirca

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let's see where Goff is in another 8 weeks before we float MVP.

I can only imagine what he's going to look like in 8 weeks. I'm seeing Aaron Rodgers-esque, don't @me lol ;)

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I think we should ask Keyshawn,
keyshawn-johnson.jpg

catgotyourtongue.gif

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah - I think week four is a little early to be talking MVP about anyone on any team.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
OK how can a guy coming off a rookie seaosn where he played 7 games be "comeback player".

And it's 4 games so I love this, and I love the Rams and I was glad the Rams drafted Goff and I think he is going to be very good.....

BUT..........I will break out this vid, as I have done over the years, during times like these just to keep people grounded.

James Otto

Starter
Nah, we need to replace Goff, at least that's the case if you trust PFF. They had Goff rated 2nd worst of all QB's who have played this week - only Matthew Stafford graded lower.

What a damn joke.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Comeback from what, being a rookie?

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
OK how can a guy coming off a rookie seaosn where he played 7 games be "comeback player".

And it's 4 games so I love this, and I love the Rams and I was glad the Rams drafted Goff and I think he is going to be very good.....

BUT..........I will break out this vid, as I have done over the years, during times like these just to keep people grounded.

Don't know if number of games matter or not...But he's already my comeback player of the year.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, players that were deemed pretty bad and come back with an amazing year. The team around him didn't help but his overall numbers were pretty bad.

I'm pretty sure comeback awards go to players that were injured the year before. Or am I mistaken?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd think Gurley would be more likely to win comeback player of the year - he had a very good season, then wasn't good last year, and after 4 games is on a MVP pace this year. I could see him winning comeback, offensive player, and MVP this season, IF he continues this pace.

nighttrain

Legend
Going to agree with denverram here. I think Goff should be in the discussion for comeback player of the year if he continues his good play. The guy was told by literally every media outlet out there that he was a bust. Even Eric Dickerson, a fan mouthpiece said they should give Mannion a shot over him. McVay should also be considered being coach of the year if they get to the playoffs. Because despite hearing what he should do, he went with Goff. And put all his time and effort into him. Its obviously paying off. As for Gurley and MVP considerations, after today's win he better be in the discussion.
How can Goff and comeback player even be said in the same sentence? Goff has never been a good player til 4 weeks ago. He was not a good player before in the NFL. He's not a comeback anything
train

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I'm pretty sure comeback awards go to players that were injured the year before. Or am I mistaken?

Here you go bro.. (poor performance included)

The National Football League Comeback Player of the Year Award refers to a number of awards that are given to a National Football League (NFL) player who has shown perseverance in overcoming adversity, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, a severe injury, or simply poor performance