At some point I think we need to acknowledge the results of some good coaching…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
This Rams team has exceeded all expectations I think it’s fair to say.

Snead had a helluva draft by any reasonable measure with all 14 picks making the 53, so kudos to Les for setting the stage.

And all the credit in the world for the various players for the effort, study, and hard work to get themselves to where they are already with even better things to come quite likely.

But at some point I think we should recognize that these collective Ram assistants are maximizing the talents and player results on the field.

Too many to name here but one only needs to look in any direction and see units exceeding all reasonable expectations.

RB
OL
WR
Edge (just look at how Young is coming along)
DL
CB (yes, CB given the turnover and youth)
S
ST

Lots of unsung hero’s amongst this coaching staff, imo.

McVay does have a few warts but I’ve gotta say this for him. One of his several superpowers is the ability to hire outstanding assistant coaches when given time and before they’re all picked over (like after the SB season).

This is an easy player and coaching roster to root for, that’s for sure.

Tano

Legend
This Rams team has exceeded all expectations I think it’s fair to say.

Snead had a helluva draft by any reasonable measure with all 14 picks making the 53, so kudos to Les for setting the stage.

And all the credit in the world for the various players for the effort, study, and hard work to get themselves to where they are already with even better things to come quite likely.

But at some point I think we should recognize that these collective Ram assistants are maximizing the talents and player results on the field.

Too many to name here but one only needs to look in any direction and see units exceeding all reasonable expectations.

RB
OL
WR
Edge (just look at how Young is coming along)
DL
CB (yes, CB given the turnover and youth)
S
ST

Lots of unsung hero’s amongst this coaching staff, imo.

McVay does have a few warts but I’ve gotta say this for him. One of his several superpowers is the ability to hire outstanding assistant coaches when given time and before they’re all picked over (like after the SB season).

This is an easy player and coaching roster to root for, that’s for sure.
ST - I am still a little shaky on their punt returns both offensively and defensively and I am a little leery counting on Maher to make a game winning field. Kick-off returns - just fair catch them.

Rams8821

Pro Bowler
Well said.
ST - I am still a little shaky on their punt returns both offensively and defensively and I am a little leery counting on Maher to make a game winning field.
Evans just outkicks his coverage, he'll learn to take a little off to save yards on the return.

Maher is an average kicker.

Ellard80

Legend
This has been going on for awhile... we have a been drafting low and turning a solid number of players into nfl starters.

We have like 14 or 15 dudes drafted 4th round or lower that have been starters or played signifcant minutes for this team or moved on to signficant roles for other teams.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
“At some point?” Are you under the impression that fans have been withholding praise of the job the coaching staff has been doing? I don’t think that’s the case.

To your point, though, the staff deserves a ton of credit for putting together a highly competitive team with all the transition and influx of young players in key roles.

jap

Legend
 As the NFL has been continuing to implement rule changes designed to enhance parity, it has been inevitable that player evaluations, player performance, cap manipulations, and coaching would rise in importance with respect to differentiating the contenders for the pretenders. Of course, there are other issues (e.g., injuries | sickness, arrests, etc.) that impact team performance as well.

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
Thank you for the post. As a long-time fan of many years, like many here, I probably appreciate the stability at "the top" more than I should. In other words, I don't get worked up over some of the game-to-game decisions that come with being a fan (i.e. Sean's tendency to forget to run the damn ball). In totality, we are extremely fortunate and I have a ton of gratitude for not having to deal with shit-show our ownership/FO was for almost two decades. And yes, I couldn't agree more that one of Sean's greatest attributes is his ability to identify and attract incredible assistants.
We have to take the good with the bad (often "Monday morning bad"), but I couldn't be more proud of this organization. Hell, I honestly thought our roster was bottom five in the league (in totality) going into the season. Les hit it out of the park and Sean and his assistants have pulled it together in ways I just couldn't foresee.
On an aside, I am eager to see their response over the coming weeks as the trade deadline approaches. This year, by all measures, was to be a rebuild/re-tool. Hell, the average Ram fan could see it coming. This damn team might put the press on McSnead to act. If they do, I just hope it's with the future in mind.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
As an older fan there is no way I would lose perspective on how special McVay is. It is remarkable to be in this era, where we have such an edge schematically.

But also I think his eye for staff is exceptional. He has made some shitty hires, but no coach I can think of has had to deal with poaching of assistants at the level he has endured. And he has won and won in spite of that, even though it definitely hurt his program.

This is why I keep saying I think Morris will be a strong head coach. He is a good leader in his own right, and has years under McVay watching how he does shit. Doesn't matter that he isn't the greatest coordinator. Winning in the NFL is about culture and talent on the staff and roster.

McVay isn't the coordinator Shanny is. But he is the better head coach. I hope he sticks around another five years. Dude is by far my favorite coach and I adore Vermiel.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
McVay is the best coach we've had in decades, and credit goes to Snead as well. As a fan who grew up in the Loserhan/Shitnuolo era, I'd give McSnead a blank check to stay however long they want.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“At some point?” Are you under the impression that fans have been withholding praise of the job the coaching staff has been doing? I don’t think that’s the case.

To your point, though, the staff deserves a ton of credit for putting together a highly competitive team with all the transition and influx of young players in key roles.

I do think Rams fans have REALLY taken McVay for granted, and I think the original post highlights that. He's not perfect but there is an awful lot of "meh" feelings and bashing for a likely hall of fame coach in his prime

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As an older fan there is no way I would lose perspective on how special McVay is. It is remarkable to be in this era, where we have such an edge schematically.

But also I think his eye for staff is exceptional. He has made some shitty hires, but no coach I can think of has had to deal with poaching of assistants at the level he has endured. And he has won and won in spite of that, even though it definitely hurt his program.

This is why I keep saying I think Morris will be a strong head coach. He is a good leader in his own right, and has years under McVay watching how he does shit. Doesn't matter that he isn't the greatest coordinator. Winning in the NFL is about culture and talent on the staff and roster.

McVay isn't the coordinator Shanny is. But he is the better head coach. I hope he sticks around another five years. Dude is by far my favorite coach and I adore Vermiel.
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ~ Chuck Knox

Flint

Pro Bowler
For the 2nd day in a row Cowheard has been making the case for McVay as coach of the year, which is nuts. I think McDaniels or Campbell or even Shanny is more likely but not too long ago people were questioning whether or not he wanted to coach at all.