Assuming Barksdale starts all 16 games

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

laramsoriginal

Starter
And performs well in 2014. How much money would NFL teams be willing to pay out for his services? More importantly, how much would the rams be willing to pay the upcoming FA Barksdale?

That is why drafting Robinson/Mathews is key. Either of those guys can start at OG then slide over to RT in 2015. Or just move Long to RT and Robinson/Mathews can take over at LT.

wrstdude

Rookie
That's a good point that I've been making. There's more to the NFL than next season. Future plans must be considered.

jjab360

Legend
Dunno. Based on some of the craziness I've seen this offseason it could range anywhere from $4mil to $8.5mil a season lol. If we don't bring him back, we'll just move Robinson/Matthews to RT or move them to LT and Long to RT. That's the kind of flexibility that comes with foresight and a little bit of patience.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
How about we worry about that next year? We still need another OG, a starting Safety, a CB and a #1 WR, for this year!

iced

depends on how well he plays at RT...

there was a RT that got a big day within the past 2 days - but then again, literally most of the running plays went behind him

laramsoriginal

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How about we worry about that next year? We still need another OG, a starting Safety, a CB and a #1 WR, for this year!

Drafting either Robinson/Mathews fills the hole at RG in 2014. Then possibly the hole at RT in 2015 if Barksdale goes for the $.

With the 13th pick in 2014, Rams can draft the best S in the draft. In round two, rams can draft the nickel cb they want. 3rd round select a OG like C.Richardson to provide depth this year while developing his technique then start at RG in 2015.

Drafting Watkins/Evans does not solve any major issues the rams have.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Drafting either Robinson/Mathews fills the hole at RG in 2014. Then possibly the hole at RT in 2015 if Barksdale goes for the $.

With the 13th pick in 2014, Rams can draft the best S in the draft. In round two, rams can draft the nickel cb they want. 3rd round select a OG like C.Richardson to provide depth this year while developing his technique then start at RG in 2015.

Drafting Watkins/Evans does not solve any major issues the rams have.
I like the plan but not the player. Seeing Richardson get manhandled at the Senior Bowl practices really cooled me on him as an option.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
A 5-yr, $42.5M deal that includes $21M gtd :sneaky:

laramsoriginal

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like the plan but not the player. Seeing Richardson get manhandled at the Senior Bowl practices really cooled me on him as an option.

No doubt he struggled a bit but many scouts viewed saw him at Baylor the past few years and they're impressed. He needs to develop but can be a starting OG in a year or two.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And performs well in 2014. How much money would NFL teams be willing to pay out for his services? More importantly, how much would the rams be willing to pay the upcoming FA Barksdale?

That is why drafting Robinson/Mathews is key. Either of those guys can start at OG then slide over to RT in 2015. Or just move Long to RT and Robinson/Mathews can take over at LT.

Probably around $6 million per year if they view him as a quality starting RT. So about what Saffold got.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
But you can't draft a RT in the top 10!!!!
You can, but it'd be dumb. ;)

Unless you're absolutely sure the dude is a world beater, RT is definitely a position you can find great people for later. I know people here disagree with me. But I wonder if those people are going to be breaking television sets if the Rams agree that it's a lower tier position and don't draft someone high for it.

wrstdude

Rookie
Interesting article! I believe the Rams need to get the o line up to playoff caliber now since they will be drafting in the last 1/4 of the draft after this year!!!!!!

Definitely an interesting perspective. Food for thought on the value of drafting a RT early. Might not be such a bad thing.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can, but it'd be dumb. ;)

Unless you're absolutely sure the dude is a world beater, RT is definitely a position you can find great people for later. I know people here disagree with me. But I wonder if those people are going to be breaking television sets if the Rams agree that it's a lower tier position and don't draft someone high for it.

I'll be breaking my TV set if a LDE comes off the edge, takes out Sam's knee and knocks him out for the season. Because hits from the LDE hurt just as much as hits from the RDE. Just saying. LT is more valuable because they protect the blind-side but I think the LT position has gotten way overvalued in some people's minds.

Regardless, we don't need a RT. I'm happy with Barksdale. Might spend a mid round pick on an OG/RT that could push him and add depth on the interior but wouldn't use a high pick on a guy to play RT.

PhxRam

I'll be breaking my TV set if a LDE comes off the edge, takes out Sam's knee and knocks him out for the season. Because hits from the LDE hurt just as much as hits from the RDE. Just saying. LT is more valuable because they protect the blind-side but I think the LT position has gotten way overvalued in some people's minds.

Regardless, we don't need a RT. I'm happy with Barksdale. Might spend a mid round pick on an OG/RT that could push him and add depth on the interior but wouldn't use a high pick on a guy to play RT.

Violence is never the answer Jrry. I think a firm yet compassionate lecture will suffice. You break your TV and how are the players going to hear you any longer?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Violence is never the answer Jrry. I think a firm yet compassionate lecture will suffice. You break your TV and how are the players going to hear you any longer?

They don't act like they can hear me now. Maybe putting a hole in the TV will help the sound travel further.