Assistant WR Coach Liam Coen turns down Boston College OC Job

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.therams.com/team/coaches-roster/liam-coen

rwn8z11v8w4z3mbdvz6i.jpg

Liam Coen: Assistant Wide Receivers
College: Massachusetts
Experience: 1 year

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hmm....Wonder why? I know that McVay offered Kliff Kingsbury a job before he decided to take the OC gig at USC, so did McVay promise Cohen more responsibility if the Rams lost a coach or two to another organization? Not sure, but glad Cohen is staying and not sure how much longer Steve Addazio will be employed by BC.

I can venture a guess. Zac Taylor, our current QB Coach and assistant WR Coach last year, is rumored to be a hot commodity this coming off-season. There's also a chance that somebody could try and pluck Shane Waldron. I'm guessing that Coen sees an opportunity to be promoted to QB Coach or maybe even passing game coordinator.

He's still young at 32 years old. And it seems like offensive coaches on McVay's staff get a rocket stuck up their arse with regard to career progression. He might think it's beneficial to stick out another year and possibly land an OC job at a better college program or in the NFL (especially if he thinks Addazio could be on the chopping block next year).

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
I can venture a guess. Zac Taylor, our current QB Coach and assistant WR Coach last year, is rumored to be a hot commodity this coming off-season. There's also a chance that somebody could try and pluck Shane Waldron. I'm guessing that Coen sees an opportunity to be promoted to QB Coach or maybe even passing game coordinator.

Yeah, promoted with the Rams or takes a job on Taylor's/Waldron's NFL staff -- can't imagine he'd follow Jedd Fisch anywhere (Rumor was that JF was interviewed for the KU job while Rams were practicing at the Air Force Academy).

In any case, while some head coaches have coaching trees, McVay looks like he's going to generate an entire coaching forest in his career.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah if I'm an Assistant WR Coach I'd stick with this staff and learn from Coach McVay. OC jobs, tempting as they are, can be very short lived and then what will your situation be? Why not complete your education or at least ensure you have soaked up enough before you make that jump from asst position coach to running the whole offense.

Most likely this is a good call by him.

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
Interesting note, good find. There’s certainly a precedent here where Zac Taylor was the Assistant Wide Receivers Coach in 2017 and got moved to QB Coach in 2018 when Greg Olson bolted for Oakland/Gruden.

I bet Coen anticipates the same promotion when Taylor gets picked up as OC or even talks of HC.

Tano

Legend
This just proves McVay is leaving for the Green Bay job and Liam Coen is going to be our next head coach.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I love this stuff. You just cannot hold onto offensive minds in today's NFL unless they're locked up as your head coach. The fact that teams (even college teams) are scouring our positional coaches is a great sign. McVay will have zero problem bringing in his pick of young up 'n comer offensive minds, fresh meat for that churn to sustain future success.

Imagine trying to run an offense with a young QB being a defensive head coach in this league. Would be extremely difficult, with one good season meaning the OC is in line for a promotion. Really the only way to sustain a good offense with a defensive head coach is to have a veteran QB in that backfield who can make up for OC turnover.