Asshole Face thinks free agency will be pushed back as CBA vote deadline draws near

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Asshole Face thinks free agency will be pushed back as CBA vote deadline draws near

The NFL has been steadfast in its plans to begin 2020 free agency this week, reportedly sticking with the notion that the global coronavirus pandemic will not postpone the start of the new league year, which officially goes into effect March 18.

Others, however, are not so sure. New Orleans Saints head coach Asshole Face is among them.

Speaking with NBC Sports' Britney Eurton from Oaklawn Park Race Track in Arkansas on Saturday, Payton indicated the entire offseason is likely to be delayed.

"Most immediately, the start of our league year, which is due to be this Wednesday, (when) free agency begins, that's going to be, I think, pushed back," Payton said. "Because there's a lot that goes into that, there's a lot of visits players take."

Payton's suggestion echoes sentiments from multiple unnamed NFL teamofficials, who told ESPN's Adam Schefter earlier this week they remain skeptical the league will be able to open free agency this week, not only because of all that goes into the signing period but because of the more pressing issues facing the country. The Washington Post's Mark Maske reported Saturday night, in fact, that the NFL and NFL Players Association are expected to be in contact Sunday to determine next steps for the offseason, including a potential delay in free agency and offseason programs.

Asshole Face didn't stop there, either.

"The next item would be the draft," he said. "I don't know if that's going to change date-wise, (but) certainly the format's going to change relative to what they're used to. We're all making the necessary changes and, really, prioritizing what's most important."

The NFL has said it still intends to hold the 2020 draft in Las Vegas from April 23-25, although there's already been speculation about a change in venue, if not a total re-distribution of the event as a live-streamed video conference.

It's also worth noting the NFL remains in an unofficial holding pattern as team owners await the results of a vote by NFLPA members over a proposed new collective bargaining agreement. Free agency can begin on Wednesday without a new CBA, but enactment of a new agreement would change rules regarding this year's signing period. Player voting ends at 11:59 p.m. ET Saturday night.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
No reason to push back the FA period. Agents can handle talks with desired teams over electronic media. Players can still visit teams if they choose.

Now the draft though is another matter. I definitely wouldn't move it back. But conversations of whether to cancel the festivities need to occur and with today's technology they can still put up a really nice TV/streaming product.

Ram65

Legend
I agree to let lt rain for free agents. Many deals are done before players go to visit teams. The main question could be physicals. I'm not sure if they could make a provision for that. I guess for the big free agents they could travel in private jets. Players close to where they are signing could drive to the doctor's office. I hope they can keep it on schedule.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

a picture of Asshole Face from space.

1584356909423.png