A'Shawn Robinson an integral part of Rams run defense | Free Agent Spotlight

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

A'Shawn Robinson an integral part of Rams run defense | Free Agent Spotlight​

In 2022, the Rams had the third-highest run stop win percentage in the NFL, according ESPN analytics. Just like in 2021, a big reason for that was the play of defensive tackle A'Shawn Robinson.

Prior to sustaining a season-ending torn meniscus against the Saints in Week 11, Robinson's 20 tackles for loss helped Los Angeles hold 7 of its first 10 opponents to under 100 rushing yards.

Now, Robinson is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent when the new league year begins on March 15.

So, what are the options for Robinson and the Rams?

Re-signing is one. The importance of Robinson to L.A.'s run defense has been established, but for additional insight, TruMedia says he had 18 defensive stops (tackle causing unsuccessful play for offense).

If Robinson and the Rams decide to go in different directions, Larrell Murchison could be a possible option internally, as discussed in defensive tackle Greg Gaines' free agent spotlight. Murchison had four defensive stops (tackle causing unsuccessful play for the offense) in three games with the Rams, per TruMedia. Bringing back Marquise Copeland – he is a restricted free agent – could also be an option. Copeland produced 14 defensive stops in 15 games.

Externally, just like with any player, the Rams could also explore free agency or the draft as avenues for finding Robinson's replacement.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I would like to see Robinson come back. But if it comes down to either him or Gaines, I think I like Gaines a little better. Would be great if they could re-sign both. Then I wouldn't mind seen Hoecht at a designated 3rd down pass rusher. He can get pressure with that non stop motor.

Ram65

Legend
I would like to have both Robinson and Gaines as well. Gaines is younger so it would make more sense to keep him longer term. He looks to get a little more pass-rush pressure which is needed. Robinson may not have a lot of demand coming off the injury. He should get some decent offers but, you never know.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Gaines has more sacks (4) but Robinson had more tackles while playing fewer games this year.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Live Gaines and Robinson. Gaines is the better pass rusher and Robinson is a better run stiffer (I think?). Ashawn just seems like such a DAWG and we need that.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Live Gaines and Robinson. Gaines is the better pass rusher and Robinson is a better run stiffer (I think?). Ashawn just seems like such a DAWG and we need that.
Both these guys are significant pieces in the Rams' D. A'Shawn brings a level of physicality and athleticism in the trenches which would be very, very hard to replace. Gaines has become a really solid presence and very capable pass rusher.

Hate to see us lose either. Have to keep at least one.

One of many tough decisions Rams will face trying not only to keep current contributors but improve the roster elsewhere.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I am hopeful the Rams can bring both of them back and add another couple of studs. We need to stuff the run to beat the whiners.

It's like the whiners are a blind spot for McVay. Thank goodness we beat them when it counted the most.

My whiner friend who invited me to their NFCCG "victory" party last season hasn't said a thing this season. I think the bad juju caused him to learn an important lesson. :)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I am hopeful the Rams can bring both of them back and add another couple of studs. We need to stuff the run to beat the whiners.

It's like the whiners are a blind spot for McVay. Thank goodness we beat them when it counted the most.

My whiner friend who invited me to their NFCCG "victory" party last season hasn't said a thing this season. I think the bad juju caused him to learn an important lesson. :)
Dude I don’t know if you know The Rams team, or the NINER’s better.

The fact you saying another couple Studs ? Have you seen The Brown Bro’s ? -I always go by the old formula of year 3.

I’ll continue to say A’Robinson is the player that really has been a Big Daddy Mentor to bought those players.He is a Stud run stuffer.

—Greg Gaines was a Morgan Fox guy. Those 2 countered each other well. He gets after the QB well,but his motor has always been his best asset. He used to be like a rhinoceros,only good for 5 to 10 yards. In 2021 & 2022 Gaines really expanded his game.

Agree that it would be nice if they both got resigned.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Dude I don’t know if you know The Rams team, or the NINER’s better.

The fact you saying another couple Studs ? Have you seen The Brown Bro’s ? -I always go by the old formula of year 3.

I’ll continue to say A’Robinson is the player that really has been a Big Daddy Mentor to bought those players.He is a Stud run stuffer.

—Greg Gaines was a Morgan Fox guy. Those 2 countered each other well. He gets after the QB well,but his motor has always been his best asset. He used to be like a rhinoceros,only good for 5 to 10 yards. In 2021 & 2022 Gaines really expanded his game.

Agree that it would be nice if they both got resigned.

I've been a Rams fan since 1969 when I was kid growing up in LA. I now live in Hawaii but have attended games. So yeah, I know the Rams and their history, probably better than you.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I've been a Rams fan since 1969 when I was kid growing up in LA. I now live in Hawaii but have attended games. So yeah, I know the Rams and their history, probably better than you.
Ok then you would know that Bobby Brown came on at the end of the season & is a BIG run stuffer? Yes ? He is also The YOUNGEST Ram? Yes at 22 followed by Kendrick who all Rams Fans want to get rid of & don’t see upside on such a Solid Young player.
Then K. Williams who will get better each of the next 3 years.
Do Rams Fans know how young & what a GREAT Talent Cam Akers is? He didn’t take to criticism & Mcvay wanted him to be accountable & a willing blocker. At 23 & still only 23 going into his FOURTH SEASON & STILL the FOURTH Youngest Ram ? Yes ? Still there.
Then Tutu Atwell.Then The going to B’e Great Ernest Jones.

EARNEST BROWN is still earning his way. You can see the difference by the way they spell there name who is still trying to earn a spot & his way to The NFL.

Earnest Brown if you want to watch a game & not keep your head in the glory then you might see how much he has improved.Yes I know The Rams got lucky to win it all. IMO the schedule was going to be tough. It ended up being actually a very winnable season if The Rams would have been all end. I guess the final straw was the New Orleans game. The Rams lossing to Tampa was for a .500 record.Rapp & B Evans were flat out bad & think they both need to move on.
Anyways I can go on & on.I WANT PHILLY!! This Dallas game stunk.There defense played excellent & DAK was late on his reads & had bad passes.Baker would be perfect in Texas being from Oklahoma.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Just to be clear. A”Robinson took it upon himself to help mentor the young players. I’ve seen this year in & year out at train camp. There have been a lot of Brian Song type of relationships. Meaning yes(won’t say it),but will just say players that play the same positions.
Example was many,but Littleton & Hager. Morgan Fox & Brockers
Kupp & Woods. AD99 & Gaines(Fox) work well together. Hoecht & Gaines a long with AD99 will get after the ball. I can vision the inside pass rush. Greg Freaking Gaines is a Bull.Tough run support as well.

A’Robinson & Earnest Brown would really be good together next season. The way Earnest Brown improved & got Faster & Stronger showed.
E. Brown got his first real chance to play & anyone who wants to look back at why The Rams made news wasn’t just Jonah Williams rough the punter.It was many of things. Gino got hit late,but the call of roughing was BS!! Earnest Brown was just ply hard to the whistle & couldn’t stop himself. You’re going to penalize a player for that? Add Earnest Brown the last game of 2022(23)had his first NFL SACK!!
Point is that A”Robinson had his arm around him in training camp & E. Brown was like a sponge coming up to him for advice & encouragement .That is the type of player’s & relationships Mcvay like his Rams Players to build & bond.