Articles: Jim Bob Cooter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2016/10/24/detroit-lions-jim-bob-cooter/92709216/

Lions notes: Offensive success traced directly to Jim Bob Cooter
Carlos Monarrez , Detroit Free Press12:25 a.m. EDT October 25, 2016
It has been replaced by nascent MVP chatter.

The success traces back directly to Cooter, who would almost certainly become a target for head coaching jobs after this season if Stafford and the offense maintain anything close to this clip.

“I think he’s definitely capable,” receiver Golden Taint said Monday of Cooter’s head-coaching prospects. “I hope he stays here. I don’t think you want to move too fast now. That’s moving at lightning speed to go from QB coach to the OC to head coach that quickly. But we just want to win games right now. We’re not worrying about all that.”

Yes, Cooter is young. He doesn’t turn 33 until July and he hasn’t even led an offense for 16 contiguous games. Only seven men have been NFL coaches in the modern era before they turned 33, with disasters like Lane Kiffin, Dave Shula and Raheem Morris recently being promoted. Then again, John Madden took over the Raiders when he was 32, and he’s in the Hall of Fame and on the cover of a video game.

The Lions (4-3) don’t want to get ahead of themselves while they’re riding a three-game winning streak as they head to Houston (4-2) on Sunday (1 p.m. Fox). And that means trying to quell any talk of anything regarding the postseason — or the potential of a Cooter video-game franchise.

“I’m not certain,” coach Jim Caldwell said of how much interest Cooter might get as a head-coaching prospect after this season. “I know he’s not focused in on that aspect of it, but there’s no question he’s doing a real nice job with the guys.”

Players also sing Cooter’s praises. With his top two running backs out, as well as his top pass-catching tight end, Cooter has made the offense work by hook or crook.

Besides Stafford, Cooter has seemed to squeeze the last ounce of utility out of every player. Taint has become a key weapon lately, helping manufacture a run game with shovel passes and sweeps.

With Ameer Abdullah and Theo Riddick down, the Lions still put up 94 rushing yards Sunday. That included Justin Forsett, just 13 days after he joined the team, gaining 33 yards on eight carries for a 4.13-yard average — his best on at least eight carries in more than a year.

“I’m not sure how much you guys know, but Jim Bob’s a very, very, very intelligent guy,” Taint said. “His play-calling has been phenomenal. ... Every single game we’ve been in it when it came down to it. He’s finding ways to put us in position to win. He understands what we all do well and he’s put us in positions to do that.”

Taint said Cooter’s intelligence manifests itself in the chess-like game he plays — and often wins — against opposing defensive coordinators. But Cooter also shows his smarts in meeting rooms, where he gets all his players to understand the plan.

“I just think he understands the game very well, and when he speaks about it and how he explains it I think … every guy can understand it,” Taint said. “We have a whole room full of guys, 20-something players on offense, and every guy understands exactly what he expects of us because he explains it so well.”

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How Jim Bob Cooter fixed Matthew Stafford

It's been six weeks and Matthew Stafford deserves to be in the discussion for the best quarterback in the NFL.

That doesn't mean Stafford is officially an #elite quarterback. It doesn't mean he's better than Tom Brady or Drew Brees. It just means he's playing the best football of his career and is currently functioning like one of the best quarterbacks of the 2016 season -- so far.

Without Calvin Johnson, Stafford's completing 68.9 percent of his passes (second-highest in the NFL) and averaging 7.77 yards per pass (eighth). He's thrown 14 touchdowns (tied for third). His 106.0 passer rating is third in the NFL.

Those numbers come from a six-game stretch, but there's reason to believe that this might be Stafford's new norm. That reason is Jim Bob Cooter.

Meet Jim Bob Cooter, whose name is so perfect it's good for more than one quality spoonerism -- I prefer Bim Cob Jooter -- and none of them even come close to surpassing his actual name.

usatsi8897049.jpg

The Lions' Jim Bob Cooter. USATSI
Cooter took over as offensive coordinator midway through the 2015 season and has now held that position for 15 games. All of them have been started by Stafford. Under Cooter's direction, Stafford has completed 68.95 percent of his passes for 4,044 yards, 34 touchdowns, and eight interceptions for a 105.5 passer rating. That's nearly a full season's worth of data. Just for some context: In his previous 84 starts, dating back to his 2009 rookie year, Stafford's passer rating sat at 83.9.

Stafford has always put up huge numbers because he's thrown the ball a ton. Since 2009, Stafford's thrown the ball 3,903 times, which is the seventh-highest total among all other quarterbacks. Yet, Stafford is the only quarterback in the top-10 who's played in fewer than 100 games in that span, which means he's throwing the ball more on a per game basis.

Since the beginning of Cooter's reign, Stafford's turned into an efficient, relatively turnover-free quarterback.

Comp. % YPA TD % INT % Passer Rating
Pre-Cooter 60.05 7.01 4.25 2.8 83.9
Post-Cooter 68.95 7.48 6.28 1.48 105.5
By now, I'd say it's safe to say that the Jim Bob Cooter effect is real.

Of course, other factors besides Cooter could be at play. For one, Stafford's older and, in theory, more mature in terms of his development as a quarterback. He's 28, so he should -- again, in theory -- be in hitting his prime right about now. With that being said, there are some notable changes in the Cooter-era that can't be ignored.

For one, Stafford is not throwing the ball downfield like he did in years past. In 2014, 34 percent of Stafford's passes traveled at least 10 yards in the air. In 2013, that number was 35 percent. In 2012, it was 34 percent. In 2011, it was 35 percent, according to Pro Football Focus. In other words, it consistently hovered around 34-35 percent since Stafford got past his first two shortened seasons.

This year, that number dropped all the way down to 27 percent, according to Pro Football Focus. He's doing most of his damage closer to the line of scrimmage.

On passes thrown 0-9 yards within the line of scrimmage, Stafford's gone 78 of 105 for 702 yards, seven touchdowns, and two interceptions. And when Stafford has aired it out, he's not throwing many interceptions. Two of his picks have come on throws that travel at least 10 yards in the air. From 2011-2014, he averaged 10 picks per season on those passes. All of those numbers come from Pro Football Focus' database.

Cooter's approach -- not forcing the ball downfield and releasing the football quickly -- is limiting Stafford's mistakes. It's also helping the offensive line. Stafford has been under pressure on 27 percent of his dropbacks -- only six quarterbacks have a lower pressure rate per Pro Football Focus. On average he's releasing the ball, according to Pro Football Focus, 2.38 seconds after the snap. That's the eighth-lowest release time in the league among qualified passers. From 2011-2014, Stafford's average release time was 2.49. It's also possible Stafford doesn't feel the need to jam the ball deep down the field since Johnson isn't on the field.

Without Megatron, he's been forced to rely on more than just one playmaker. Stafford's spreading the ball around.

His primary target, free agent acquisition Marvin Jones, leads the team in every receiving category, but he isn't dominating the way Johnson used to dominate the stat sheet. Stafford's three primary targets: Jones, Golden Taint, and the ageless Anquan Boldin are receiving almost equal attention, in large part because the Lionsare trotting out 11 personnel (three receivers, one tight end, and one back) 68 percent of the time. League average for 11 personnel is 58 percent, per Pro Football Focus.

They're all getting the ball.

Targets Rec. Yards TDs
Jones 47 29 529 4
Taint 41 25 299 1
Boldin 37 29 244 3
As I wrote earlier this season, Jones' play so far this season has helped soften the blow of Johnson's departure. When he's been targeted on the home-run ball, he's been deadly. On passes thrown more than 10 yards downfield, Jones has caught 17 of 24 targets for 397 yards, per Pro Football Focus. The signing of Jones has absolutely played a role in Stafford's success.

The same can be said about Boldin, a move that didn't necessarily make that much sense when it happened. But Boldin has still found a way to be productive this late in his career, particularly in the middle of the field. Twenty of his 29 receptions have come in between the numbers, according to Pro Football Focus.

Not to get all essay-y on you, but in conclusion: Stafford's improved substantially because he isn't forcing the ball downfield, he's getting the ball out quickly, which helps his offensive line, and he isn't locking onto specific receivers. A lot of that has to do with the Lions' front office and Stafford himself. But it also has to do with Cooter. He deserves tons of credit, which will most likely result in a promotion at some point.

Which leads me to my final thought: At some point, the Lions should elevate Cooter to Jim Caldwell's position. Otherwise, they'll eventually end up losing him for nothing and be stuck with Caldwell.

For as long as Stafford is in Detroit, Cooter should be there too.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like many others here I am a big fan of this dude. He's young, but projects confidence and has visible leadership skills, the kind that some coaches never pick up on.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I like Cooter and I like Sean McVay, who hasn't been as talked about but seems incredibly smart too. Just a little concerned with those guys because of their age and inexperience. They haven't been OCs for long, how could they immediately step up to being a HC?

At least with a guy like Kyle Shanahan who's a few years older but still young, he has a fairly long history of being an OC and has the pedigree and first hand experience of what being a HC is like, and I don't think he's any less of a coach if you can get strong characters around him to alleviate his lack of people skills

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Cooter and I like Sean McVay, who hasn't been as talked about but seems incredibly smart too. Just a little concerned with those guys because of their age and inexperience. They haven't been OCs for long, how could they immediately step up to being a HC?

At least with a guy like Kyle Shanahan who's a few years older but still young, he has a fairly long history of being an OC and has the pedigree and first hand experience of what being a HC is like, and I don't think he's any less of a coach if you can get strong characters around him to alleviate his lack of people skills

Very true, the age is a concern.

But you know what's a concern for me? A guy who doesn't have the presence to get in front of a team and own it. You can line up a lot of hot coordinators every year and watch how they speak and get a feel for their leadership and presence and know they're bound to fail.

Jim Bob has a couple strengths: offensive knowledge/instincts, and presence. The dude is going to rise to head coach, it's just a matter of time.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i could really get behind a JBC hire ....i like how it seems he draws up plays that work ...its not something that i imagine Boras does ...it feels like Rob as been given the play book and told to pick from there ..i expect an OC (and DC) to be installing new plays left right and Centre (feel free to correct me if they dont)

At least with JBC he can bring his offense with him

FRO

Legend
The reason I like Shanahan over Cooter and McVay is because he has been successful at multiple stops. Not taking one thing away from the other two guys.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Very true, the age is a concern.
But you know what's a concern for me? A guy who doesn't have the presence to get in front of a team and own it. You can line up a lot of hot coordinators every year and watch how they speak and get a feel for their leadership and presence and know they're bound to fail.

Jim Bob has a couple strengths: offensive knowledge/instincts, and presence. The dude is going to rise to head coach, it's just a matter of time.

Definitely understand that. I think it's a little early though. If he's still available in 2-3 years and our new coach doesn't work out, I'd be pounding the table for him. Most HCs that young just don't work out though.

Do agree though they need the right leadership qualities though. JBC has that, McVay has that.

Since I used him as an example, I'm not sure if Shanahan does or doesn't have that. I know a guy like Alex Mack following him to Atlanta speaks volumes to me, but the numerous reports to his poor ability to connect and lead are also concerning.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I like how JBC (Jim Bob Cooter or Junior Bacon Cheeseburger? You decide...) has made the offense go even though his top two RBs have gone down. Normally, that happens and you see offenses basically go one dimensional. He hasn't done that at all. He's really gotten created and adapted.

I love that.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Detroit has had a potent offense for years and they invested heavily in to FA talent WR with Taint, Jones and Boldin providing a heck of a stable to throw to.
Maybe Stafford is just maturing a bit? This is the same kid who in 2011 threw for 5000 yards, 41/16 TD/INT and a rating of 97.2. So its not like this year (and last) is some sort of dramatic career turnaround.
The dude has an awesome name, and IMO if his name was Bill Smith he'd probably be spoken of a lot less

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
Ok so he sounds like a great OC or QB coach, he won't move over to the Rams to do that.
Nothing I have seen shows that he has leadership experience needed to be a head coach.
HC and OC are far different roles

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok so he sounds like a great OC or QB coach, he won't move over to the Rams to do that.
Nothing I have seen shows that he has leadership experience needed to be a head coach.
HC and OC are far different roles

Gase seems to coping over in miami ;)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gase seems to coping over in miami ;)

Yep. Right now the owners are hot on the offensive minds and for good reason: they can maximize the value of your QB investments, which is the position that has the most impact on success/failure in this league.

And the problem is when you have a great one rise in your system guess what? Yeah, another team will swoop in and promote him to add that element to their team. This is what is happening in Detroit, Atlanta, and New England. Now, NE has the organizational depth to handle those losses. But teams like Detroit and Atlanta might not and you'll probably see a dip in their offensive production when those minds leave.

So right now the Rams have the opportunity to add that type of mind to their organization, and the price of it is they need to roll the dice and allow the guy to grow into the coach they want. And that's ok, because the owner has a long-term view and the patience required to let it build.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Comp. % YPA TD % INT % Passer Rating
Pre-Cooter 60.05 7.01 4.25 2.8 83.9
Post-Cooter 68.95 7.48 6.28 1.48 105.5
By now, I'd say it's safe to say that the Jim Bob Cooter effect is real.
This and the over-all Offensive Play of the Lions this year, especially in the 4th quarter, makes him an obvious candidate for the Rams HC Job! (y) JMHO! I like him! among others!:D

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Maybe the Rams can hire Roscoe P Coletrane as the new OC.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
On the west coast he'd be Jimmy B in no time haha. Bring him in just to see his concepts.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Definitely deserves our attention. He's been fairly successful...But I really like Matt Stafford. QB's make these OC's go...