Article: Rams Coaching Search (LA Times)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-coach-wolf-20161218-story.html

Rams coaching search: Hall of Famer Ron Wolf explains how experience on both sides of the ball is important
Sam FarmerContact Reporter

What should the Rams keep in mind when hiring their next coach? NFL legends Tony Dungy, Ron Wolf, and Jimmy Johnson weigh in with their first-person perspective in this three-part series on finding a coach who best fits a franchise. Today: Ron Wolf. Monday: Jimmy Johnson. Here’s Saturday’s: Tony Dungy.

Today, Ron Wolf. a Hall of Fame personnel executive, Wolf was integral in building the Oakland and then Los Angeles Raiders from the mid-1960s through the 1980s (with some intermittent breaks), then served as the Green Bay Packers’ general manager from 1991 to 2001. In between he was briefly general manager of the expansion Tampa Bay Buccaneers, where he laid the foundation that would help them reach the NFC championship game in their fourth year of existence.

Among his many accomplishments, he hired Mike Holmgren as coach of the Packers and traded a first-round pick to Atlanta for a player who at the time had some health and character concerns, a young quarterback named Brett Favre.

When you’re hiring a coach, too much emphasis is put on whether you’re looking for an offensive guy or a defensive guy. If a coach is good, he’s good no matter which side of the ball he comes from. Just look at Bill Belichick. Before the Patriots hired him, everybody was saying they needed an offensive guy. Well, he’s a defensive guy, and he’s been a dominant force for a long time, and he’s had the best team in the league for a long time.

The first thing you have to establish is: Who’s in charge? That’s very important. Is it going to be a joint venture where it’s the GM and the head coach, or is the head coach going to lead everything? If you’re really good, you’re probably going to want to run your own show as a head coach.

So much of hiring a coach depends on who’s doing the interviewing. I come from a belief that you have to have a football guy making those decisions. I don’t think you can overemphasize the importance of that.

I don’t think you can hire someone as an NFL head coach who only has college experience. The NFL is a different game. Pete Carroll is someone who came from the college ranks, but he had a lot of NFL experience before he was at USC. I worked with him for two years with the New York Jets, when I was their personnel director and he was their defensive coordinator. He’s an example of someone who knows both worlds.

There’s obviously a guy at the University of Michigan who could coach in either college football or the NFL, but you’d have to spend an awful lot of money to get Jim Harbaugh, even if you could.

San Francisco 49ers went 10-5-1 and made the playoffs in his first year as quarterbacks coach, even though they had to mostly use Jeff Kemp and Mike Moroski because Joe Montana was hurt.

Right away, you knew that Mike had an ability and a talent. Then he comes in and I interview him, and you could see why he was successful. He liked and had a real knowledge of the history of the game.

You’d be surprised by how many people come in for interviews without doing their homework. There are so many people that come in and eliminate themselves just from their lack of preparedness.

If somebody wants that job, they had better know your team. Guys will just give you what their pro scouts give them about your players. You’ll say, “How are you going to handle this situation?” and they’ll say, “Well, I’ll coach ‘em up.”

You’ll coach ‘em up? I don’t want to hear that. I want to hear how you’re going to take a team and mold it, how you’re going to make it work.

You’re given a tremendous responsibility here. You’re talking about a billion-dollar industry, and you’re the focal point of it. You want to be paid like an executive of a prime corporation, you’d better be one.

Los Angeles Times

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
You’d be surprised by how many people come in for interviews without doing their homework. There are so many people that come in and eliminate themselves just from their lack of preparedness.

If somebody wants that job, they had better know your team. Guys will just give you what their pro scouts give them about your players. You’ll say, “How are you going to handle this situation?” and they’ll say, “Well, I’ll coach ‘em up.”

You’ll coach ‘em up? I don’t want to hear that. I want to hear how you’re going to take a team and mold it, how you’re going to make it work.

You’re given a tremendous responsibility here. You’re talking about a billion-dollar industry, and you’re the focal point of it. You want to be paid like an executive of a prime corporation, you’d better be one.
This last part of the interview really makes a lot of sense to me. I hope the Rams are smart enough to realize this!!

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
An HC who will actually do their job. Who will find integral pieces to putting together a top tier team. An HC who will hold his staff accountable for shortcomings....I think this team would be more exciting if we had all of that.

Psycho_X

Legend
I read this twice and the middle part of it made no sense whatsoever and then clicked the link and realized there was part of a paragraph mentioning Mike Holmgren's name. Made a lot more sense lol. Just fyi if anyone reads it and can't figure out who the hell he's talking about.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I read this twice and the middle part of it made no sense whatsoever and then clicked the link and realized there was part of a paragraph mentioning Mike Holmgren's name. Made a lot more sense lol. Just fyi if anyone reads it and can't figure out who the hell he's talking about.

iamthewalrus.jpg

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I read this twice and the middle part of it made no sense whatsoever ...
It also made no sense to omit that 10-5-1 49ers team got their ass whooped 49-3 in the playoffs in one of the most beautiful NFL games of all-time.