Article: Prioritizing Rams' coaching candidates

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
oib7mv-b88860112z.120161216191141000g48kk3tc.10.jpg

L.A. could be the perfect NFL spot for Stanford coach David Shaw, and should be the Rams' first priority. (Photo by Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images)

Prioritizing Rams' coaching candidates

By RYAN KARTJE / STAFF WRITER

On Monday morning, weeks before the annual firing spree of Black Monday, the NFL coaching carousel suffered its first casualty. Jeff Fisher became the first coach fired this season, cut loose a few days before he could take his rightful place as the losingest coach in league history.

As the Rams spiraled into a lost season, Fisher’s firing was inevitable. The timing of his firing certainly isn’t ideal for the on-field product. But as far as the future is concerned, the organization has plenty of time to find the right fit and frame itself as the best job available. No team is better positioned to get the coach it wants.

Barring some major surprise, here are the other teams that could have a coaching opening: Jacksonville, San Diego, Indianapolis, Cincinnati and Buffalo. Of those, only the hapless Jaguars’ gig is guaranteed to be open. Outside of the lure of working with Andrew Luck, none of those other jobs has much on the potential of being the Rams coach.

Which means the Rams should have their pick of available candidates. It’s a powerful position to be in, one the franchise, with its multi-billion dollar stadium/palace on the way, can’t afford to screw up. So how should the Rams prioritize their available candidates?

(Note: This is not a wish list, and thus, won’t include the likes of Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll, who both have categorically denied any interest and, face it, are never going to take the Rams job.)

• David Shaw, Stanford head coach: A widely respected college coach who has kept up Jim Harbaugh’s success at Stanford, Shaw’s name has been bandied about for a while as an NFL candidate, but he has always rebuffed any advances. Los Angeles may be the perfect opportunity, and if he doesn’t take it, he may never leave the college ranks. It’s a long shot, but I’d make the first call to him.

• Kyle Shanahan, Falcons offensive coordinator: The best of the available hot-shot coordinators, Shanahan has revamped the Falcons’ offense to cater to the strengths of Matt Ryan and Julio Jones. Ryan’s similarities to Jared Goff would make Shanahan the best possible option to groom the Rams’ young quarterback, which should be a top priority. Perhaps he’d bring his dad, Mike, and his Super Bowl ring along, too.

• Josh McDaniels, Patriots offensive coordinator: He may be the most likely coach to be intrigued by the Rams’ job, given his year as the Rams’ offensive coordinator following his firing as Broncos coach. McDaniels is a great offensive mind, having trained under Bill Belichick, but in his first go-round in Denver, he rubbed some players the wrong way. In Los Angeles, that might not fly. But he should most definitely get an interview.

• Darrell Bevell, Seahawks offensive coordinator: Kind of surprised by the lack of love for Bevell, who has interviewed for basically every available job the last two years. He was a quarterbacks coach in Green Bay, which has worked out pretty well for other assistants across the league. Working under Pete Carroll, he could bring a Carroll-esque approach to whatever job he could take this offseason.

• Teryl Austin, Lions defensive coordinator: Of the available defensive coaches, Austin may be the most likely to get a job this offseason, after interviewing for a handful of jobs last year. Detroit has dealt with injuries this season and the defense has taken a hit, but Austin is well regarded as a motivator and leader. His defensive scheme could also fit the Rams’ personnel well.

[www.ocregister.com]

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
No on the last three, don't even give them so much as a dial tone.
I'd also recommend talking to Chris Petersen at Washington and giving Bones a shot to interview.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'd like to see Jim Bob Cooter get an interview. He's done some great things turning around that Detroit offense that's underwhelmed for a long time, and done it without Calvin Johnson and had some key injuries as well.
That offensive staff has also gotten great work out of a fairly green and questionable line that's shuffled around a fair bit this season.

I don't think Shaw does a lot for me. I'd rather see someone with some more recent NFL success. I know he spent some time under Gruden, but it's been a while. On the flip side we are still one of, if not the youngest team in the league, so maybe that would lend him some relatability cred in the locker room.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The way we shut down the Seahawks offense...and the type of QB they use...why is Bevell's name up there again?

Austin is too new to success..

Haven't seen a good Belichick coordinator succeed on his own...Bill O'Brian just got raped grabbing Osweiler...And I thought Brock could play...So don't say Bill O B is good yet...

Out of these two left, give me Shaw, then Shanahan....

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The way we shut down the Seahawks offense...and the type of QB they use...why is Bevell's name up there again?

Haven't seen a good Belichick coordinator succeed on his own...Bill O'Brian just got raped grabbing Osweiler...And I thought Brock could play...So don't say Bill O B is good yet...

I'm not sure Oswieler was O'Briens guy.
I thought that was a management pull. An odd one as well.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Bevell and Austin would be behind at least four other names. Bevell in particular would not be on my list period, either, that would be a head coaching hire on par with Fish adding Schotty Jr.

I don't think there is any chance the Rams settle for mediocre. They go after top guys this time around and get it right IMO. And if they need to settle for a coordinator type it will be someone to get them return on their offensive investments that are languishing on this roster. Swing for the fences Demoff, no guts no glory.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...urrently-under-contract-will-pursue-rams-job/

Glazer: Big-name NFL coaches currently under contract will pursue Rams job
Posted by Mike Florio on December 18, 2016

624665284-e1482082913640.jpg
Getty Images

As the Rams embark on the search for a new coach, they could be pursuing some big-name coaches. Conversely, some big-name coaches also could be pursuing the Rams.

Jay Glazer of FOX says that the Rams job will cause multiple big-name coaches currently under contract with NFL teams to try to get to Los Angeles, given the size of the market, the sizzle of L.A., and the potential to win with players like Jared Goff, Todd Gurley, and Tavon Austin on the roster — along with a potent defense led by Aaron Donald.

We saw this one coming back in July. During that minor slice of time when talk emerged of Seahawks coach Pete Carroll and G.M. John Schneider leaving Seattle after their contracts expire following the 2016 season, it became obvious that there would be a land rush for vacancies with the Seahawks or the Rams.

Glazer hasn’t named names. Carroll already has ruled out a move from Seattle to L.A.

In a separate post (I have a Sunday quota to fill), the procedures for pursuing a coach under contract with another NFL team will be explained. Bottom line: It can happen, if the coach of a current team truly wants out and if his current employer is willing to let it happen, in exchange for appropriate compensation.

There’s a separate wrinkle that needs to be considered. If one of the coaches currently with another team that covets the Rams job envisions running the show or otherwise supplanting the folks who currently run the football operations in L.A., the folks who currently run the football operations in L.A. may not be interested.
----------
Rex Ryan will be looking for work soon.
----------
Yeah I’m thinking Kroenke will hire Rexy next, once the Bills hand him his walking papers. Kroenke wants a big, experienced name with a flashy personality for the L.A. market, never mind the history of failure, and Rexy fits the bill perfectly.
----------
Marvin Lewis to L.A. then? Rumor has it.
-------
Please take Asshole Face from us!!!!!!!!!!!
----------
Yeah, because Payton is the one that crippled their salary cap to the tune of $75M in dead money between this year and last.
----------
Yes, Payton is to blame for the Saints’ cap mess because he has to have every shiny new free agency toy out there who sucks (see Byrd, Jairus; Spiller, C.J.; Fleener, Coby. Payton has personnel power, including the draft. It’s Loomis’ job to figure the cap with players Payton wants. They’ve both failed miserably the last four years.
---------
There’s no evidence you can win with this roster.
----------
Hue Jackson…escape route
--------
Jim Harbaugh, regardless of what he says. We all have a price and everything’s negotiable.
---------
Big market Andy Reid?
---------
It will end up being a coordinator like Kyle Shanahan.
--------
Said before, said again, Gruden will be coaching one of the two LA teams next year.
Glazer wants to keep everyone in the dark like clickbait.

Guessing it’s not just head coaches and there are some assistants wanting to jump back into a head coach role.
---------
Maybe Doug Pederson will go after the Rams job.
--------
The Rams gave away their #1 and #3 this coming draft. Except for Aaron Donald, they have had more busts then successes the past few years.

Fisher isn’t the issue in LaLaLand. Compare the record of John Schneider’s drafts, where the Seahawks have low picks, less picks and like to trade their top picks…

If I was a coach, I wouldn’t move unless the GM goes away, too.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Anyone in the Andy Reid or Mike McCarthy coaching tree look like a possibility?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Say no to McDaniels please! Also not a fan of Bevell rumors. Any OC/DC that is constantly torched by their fan base is just a turn off to me in our coaching search.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
NO to certain candidates off the top.

NO to McDaniels. He's gonna wait out Darth Hoodie.

NO to Bevell. We've seen what his O looks like without an OL. NO thanks. Without Beastmode, that O bogs down something fierce.

NO to Gruden. He's too far removed and he swims in that complicated for the sake of being complicated WCO crap. WE can't seem to draft WRs who can do that, so...no. Just..no.

NO to Carroll. He's under contract in Seattle until 2021. He LOVES Seattle and he hasn't burned any bridges with ownership or players. There's NO reason for him to come to LA beyond his past affiliation with the city. Even if there were compelling reasons for this to happen, it's just not.

Now, I have concerns.

We're supposed to be impressed because Demoff "uncovered" Greg Schiano, but his tenure in TB wasn't good. He took a young guy with tremendous potential that could have gone either way and....flushed him. College disciplinarian coaches are fine doing that. Except you had a young man who'd thrown what? 26TDs to 3 INTs or something like that? Schiano wasn't ready to be around pro ball players and his entire tenure was the opposite of Fisher. I mean, Fisher's O scheme stunk on ice and I personally don't believe he held players accountable enough, but he took care of his players. Schiano was the opposite. He held his players to account to such a degree that they were basically abandoned. I live in Tampa and... it was just...bad.

So, why Demoff is being lionized for "discovering" Schiano, this unheralded college coach from Rutgers is... troubling. Firstly, he wasn't unknown. Secondly, he didn't work out. Had we gotten Schiano, it would have been a disaster and this transition would have been dark, dark times.

That said, is Demoff again in the college ranks? Is he predisposed to college coaches? Is he predisposed to disciplinarians? What, exactly is Demoff looking for?

What is Demoff's vision for this HC and this franchise going forward?

I mean, he's just never articulated ANY of that in any meaningful way so even fans going back 50 years have NO IDEA what the identity of this team is.

We're Rams fans, but when we say, "okay. beyond rooting for the helmet and the legacy...what does that mean?" I'm not saying every team has an answer to that, but the teams that we're trying to not only be like, but be better than...DO. Green Bay...Pittsburgh...New England...Denver...

I have no idea who even MIGHT be the next HC...because I have NO IDEA who Demoff sees the Rams being.

Unless he lets the cat out of the bag, we'll have to find out. And the next HC will tell us some of what he sees.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
As I've stated before, I don't really care if we have a "high-profile" coach or not. We need a coach who will turn the offense around while building on the defense and special teams. I don't care if he comes from the college ranks. IMO, and for the most part, the schemes, and "X's" & "O's" are the same. However, the number of elite athletes in the NFL is far superior to the college level. With that said, I believe one of the biggest obstacles for a college coach, entering the league, is dealing with professional athletes. College coaches who have come into the league, and left, seemingly tried to coach the same way they did in college, which doesn't work in the NFL. Saban couldn't hack it at Miami, Kelly struggled at Philly and now at SF. Harbaugh had early success, then it went south. Carroll is doing well at Seattle, but I think he coached the exact same way at USC. These are just a few guys who came to mind. So, if they are going to bring in someone from the college ranks, he has to have a special temperament to work with professional athletes. It could work with a good mix of assistants currently working in the league. Just my two cents.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
That may be why they brought in Shaw.

I REALLY don't think that was a courtesy visit... it might have been couched as that and passed off as that to Fisher, but I think Demoff saw the writing on the wall and wanted Shaw to be #1 on the list...

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I want McDaniels. Recently fired Bradley can be his DC if we don't retain Williams.

A55VA6

Legend
I want McDaniels. Recently fired Bradley can be his DC if we don't retain Williams.
I just don't know. He doesn't seem like a great head coach to me.. but maybe he's learned a thing or 2 from the coaches on that staff..

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

Could not of said it better.

KJD_Ram

Rookie
If were speculating about ANY coach, then Andy Reid would be ideal....Hey, I've seen him in horns...Look up the PPK from way back when...Is he from the SoCal area?